Israeli border security guards shoot young girls laptop.

Writer

PostThu Dec 17, 2009 11:49 am » by Bri84

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/16/airport-security-guards-kill-literally-kill-a-macbook/

Young American woman travels over to Jerusalem to meet some friends, see the sights, live the life. Overzealous border security officers ask her a bunch of questions, take issue with her answers, and a few well-placed bullets later she is allowed entry into the country with a somewhat altered MacBook in tow. So what can we all learn from this incident? Firstly, back up all the data you consider important; B, Israeli policemen don't mess about; and 3, distressed laptops look gorgeous no matter how they got there -- just look at the way the glass trackpad has wrinkled up from the force of the bullet penetrating near it, it's a borderline work of art. The young lady in question has been promised compensation...

Upload to Disclose.tv

:o

Conspirator

PostThu Dec 17, 2009 2:30 pm » by Proto

Police shoot U.S. student's laptop upon entry to Israel
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1135243.html

An American student entering Israel from Egypt via the border crossing at Taba two weeks ago stood stunned as Israeli Border Police officers determined her laptop computer was a security threat and shot it three times.

Lily Sussman, 21, wrote on her blog that the police officers subjected her to two hours of questioning and searches, before firing three bullets into her Apple Macbook.

"They had pressed every sock and scarf with a security device, ripped open soap and had me strip extra layers. They asked me tons of questions," Sussman wrote, describing the experience.

"Who do you know? Do you have a boyfriend? Is he Arab, Egyptian, Palestinian? Why do you live in Egypt? Why not Israel? What do you know about the 'conflict' here? What do you think? They quizzed me on Judaism, which I know nothing about," she continued.

Sussman blogged that she then heard an announcement on the loudspeaker that "was something along the lines of, 'Do not to be alarmed by gunshots because the Israeli security needs to blow up suspicious passenger luggage.'"

Moments later, Sussman wrote, a man came to her and introduced himself as the duty manager, who told her: "I'm sorry but we had to blow up your laptop."

"The security officers did not ask about my laptop prior to shooting it," Sussman told Daily News Egypt. "They used the term 'blew up' when they told me they destroyed my laptop. I don't know why they shot it."

Sussman said the guards also looked through the photos on her camera, flipped through her journal and asked her about a map a friend had drawn for her that depicted a main street, central bus station and the hostel where she was planning on staying in Jerusalem.

She said that she had also been carrying an Arabic phrasebook, stamps from Syria, Qatar and the UAE and a Palestinians in Palestine guidebook.

The Israel Airports Authority said in response that, "A [security] check performed on the lady's luggage signalled the need for security personnel to follow procedure. The police who carried out the operation in question were called to the scene. We suggest you approach the Israel Police for any additional information."

Sussman managed to salvage the hard drive and security officials at the crossing gave her an address where she would be reimbursed for her mangled laptop, she told Daily News Egypt.

"I'm going through the process of compensation," she said. "It supposedly will take about one month to receive the money."

:headscratch: :|

Initiate

PostThu Dec 17, 2009 6:15 pm » by Disorganizer81

Perhaps after the strip search the security guard was sexually flustered and fired away. :shooting:

Super Moderator

PostThu Dec 17, 2009 7:01 pm » by -Marduk-

Conspirator

PostThu Dec 17, 2009 8:04 pm » by Proto

concrete wrote:Strangely.
I think this may be anti Israel propeganda (or advertising for apple).

lol i also thought it's looks like advertising for apple , but no
sadly i dont think it's anti israel propaganda in this case .

concrete wrote:Nothing about this story seems to make sense (at least to me).
There are simpler ways to destroy a laptop, and if as security protocol would dictate.
If they thought it was a bomb. The last thing they would do is shoot it.
Plus. Im not au fait with apple computers. But, suprising how the impacts missed the hard drive, isn't it? I could be wrong.

well it's standard procedure to shot suspicious objects after they have
been moved to safe location like bomb disposal pit , or if that's not
possible the police seal the area and send the police robot to shot
the suspicious object ,if it's got explosives inside it will blow .
that's why they probably didn't mind too much where they aimed
and missed the hard disk.

but whats looks weird to me is that I'm sure they had the right equipment
to x-ray the computer or to check it in less destructive ways
wonder why they didn't used that .

but even if i don't agree with this i can understand how it happened .
young woman , living in egypt ,syrian stamps and palestinians
books , suspicious hand drawn map ,100 % she is left activist .
her friends im guessing probably in east Jerusalem .
from what i understand the first guys that checked her where
18 year old soldiers , she might or might not gave them the attitude ,
they probably pissed the shit out of her ,from here it probably went down hill
pretty fast .

concrete wrote:Besides. How do you write on a blog with no computer?
I don't get it.

internet cafe , also the article mentioned she went to friends in Jerusalem,
so she probably can use computer there as well .