Japan considering Chernobyl option

Initiate

PostFri Mar 18, 2011 10:10 am » by Frankenstein

At last they have come out and said that they are considering the Chernobyl option of sand and concrete.

A spokesman for the Japanese nuclear agency said steam or smoke was seen at unit 2 this morning – where an earlier explosion may have damaged the containment vessel - and acknowledged that the authorities could yet bury the reactors in sand and concrete, as happened at Chernobyl in 1986.

Hidehiko Nishiyama said the priority was adding water to the spent fuel pools. Asked about the "Chernobyl solution", he replied: "That solution is in the back of our minds, but we are focused on cooling the reactors down."

From http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/18/japan-nuclear-crisis-iaea-information

Super Moderator

PostFri Mar 18, 2011 10:35 am » by -Marduk-

frankenstein wrote:At last they have come out and said that they are considering the Chernobyl option of sand and concrete.

Initiate

PostFri Mar 18, 2011 11:01 am » by Frankenstein

Although I am not aware of all the aspects, as far as I can tell, the only reason they have not gone the Chernobyl route is financial. I bet they are still hoping to salvage at least the nuclear materials for selling so that they do not lose so much money.

All praise the Lord High Dollar. (or Yen) :pray:

In a market economy, neither lives nor ethics dictate results, only profit.

Conspirator

PostFri Mar 18, 2011 11:12 am » by Svaha

With this option a vast area in Japan will be restricted for people.
Follow your bliss(ters) - Joseph Campbell

Super Moderator

PostFri Mar 18, 2011 11:23 am » by -Marduk-

frankenstein wrote:Although I am not aware of all the aspects, as far as I can tell, the only reason they have not gone the Chernobyl route is financial. I bet they are still hoping to salvage at least the nuclear materials for selling so that they do not lose so much money.

All praise the Lord High Dollar. (or Yen) :pray:

In a market economy, neither lives nor ethics dictate results, only profit.

These currency speculators need some major dickslaps for increasing the demand for yen.

On thursday we got 78.80 yen to the dollar. In comparison, in mid-2007 cost a dollar even 120 yen.

Jumping the bandwagon on the back who suffer so bad in Japan right now... coz of greed...

is an unspeakable sin to mankind

Initiate

PostFri Mar 18, 2011 11:45 am » by Frankenstein

svaha wrote:With this option a vast area in Japan will be restricted for people.

Why do you believe that to be the case?

Conspirator

PostFri Mar 18, 2011 11:57 am » by Svaha

frankenstein wrote:
svaha wrote:With this option a vast area in Japan will be restricted for people.

Even if you cover this with a lot of concrete that won't prevent radiation, specialy the used material ?

Initiate

PostFri Mar 18, 2011 1:52 pm » by Frankenstein

svaha wrote:
frankenstein wrote:

Even if you cover this with a lot of concrete that won't prevent radiation, specialy the used material ?

Yes it will. Radiation penetrates certain amounts of materials. Steel is the best, earth and concrete are the next in line. Mass and thickness will prevent any radiation from getting through. The only reason for exclusion zones is the current fallout areas before the covering is put in place.

If there had been no particle spread of radioactive materials (which there has thanks to several explosions, you could walk right up to the encasement and read only background radiation.

The most energetic gamma rays would be reduced to one millionth its strength by only 3 meters of concrete, 6 meters would bring that down to one trillionth etc.

Sand, concrete and even dirt are effective blockers of radiation.

Conspirator

PostFri Mar 18, 2011 1:54 pm » by Svaha

Thanks I did not know that :flop:

Initiate

PostFri Mar 18, 2011 2:03 pm » by Frankenstein

svaha wrote:Thanks I did not know that :flop:

No problem :D

That's why fallout shelters are built underground, because the dirt is effective against the radiation.

This is why I and many others have been disgusted by the attempts to salvage something from the reactor with resultant masses of radioactive particles being released continually now for a week.

You have got to hate the amount of worship :pray: the almighty Dollar (Yen in this case) gets to the exclusion of all else.

Next