Japan PM Steps Down. What is Going on?

Writer

PostWed Jun 02, 2010 12:32 pm » by sheepletastic

Ok, this is the first time I am quoting or posting information and I search the forums for this and found nothing. If it is a duplicate or in the wrong place, please delete.

I find this interesting that the Japanese PM is stepping down especially after the German President steps down.

Tokyo, Japan (CNN) -- Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama announced Wednesday he will resign after eight months in power.

"I'm going to step down," Hatoyama declared in a live broadcast on Japanese television NHK, while addressing party members of both the upper and lower houses of the Diet, Japan's parliament.

"I have had many shortcomings, I have been allowed to lead all of you for the past eight months to today. I am extremely grateful for having been given this opportunity," he said.

Japanese Finance Minister Naoto Kan said he would run for the party leader election which is expected to be held Friday.

With overwhelming majority at the lower house of the Diet, the ruling party's leader will certainly become the next prime minister.

Eight months ago, Hatoyama 's Democratic Party of Japan won a sweeping victory, an outcome hailed by many as a revolution in Japanese politics.

With promises of a cleaner government, Hatoyama worked to shift the political dynamics in Japan by taking away power from the bureaucrats and granting more power to politicians and local governments.

In his first speech as Japan's 92nd prime minister, Hatoyama made promises that he would conduct a clean and transparent government, launching a task force to monitor government spending.

But soon afterwards, allegations of illegal campaign financing tarnished his administration's image. Some of his cabinet members were investigated for corruption.

His approval rating took further hits over his failed promise to move a major U.S. Marine base off Okinawa to ease the burden of the island, which hosts the majority of the United States military presence in Japan. Earlier this month, calling his decision "heartbreaking," he announced that the base would remain on Okinawa, although relocated to a different part of the island.

Hatoyama's critics claimed he gave in to U.S. pressure, and his government coalition broke up.

Hatoyama said that while he did lose public trust, he hopes future generations will remember his legacy.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I have often been dubbed as an alien and how I understand this is that I see not current Japan but always try to see future Japan," he said.

"Local government, local communities should be the main actors," said Hatoyama.

"In five or ten years people of Japan will understand what I am talking about."

Parliamentary elections are scheduled to take place in July.

The DPJ will now elect a new leader of the party -- most likely on Friday -- who will be in line to be the next prime minister of Japan.

Some time early next week, Hatoyama will dissolve his cabinet in the morning and the new party leader will stand for election as new prime minister by both upper and lower houses of parliament.

CNN's Yoko Wakatsuki and Kyung Lah contributed to this report.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/06/01/japan.resignation/?hpt=T1

I found this piece of the article interesting and it stuck out to me. I am not a UFO conspiracy guy but, it is strange.

Hatoyama said that while he did lose public trust, he hopes future generations will remember his legacy.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I have often been dubbed as an alien and how I understand this is that I see not current Japan but always try to see future Japan," he said.

Writer

PostWed Jun 02, 2010 12:42 pm » by sheepletastic

I fully agree Aladin...Just find in off the wall with the timing and everything that is going on in the world. It reminds me of the old rats jumping the sinking ship saying.

I am sure it is probably nothing what so ever though.

Conspirator

PostWed Jun 02, 2010 1:41 pm » by Kingz

interesting indeed... the wife of the PM has come out often with the claim that she is a contactee!

Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama & His Wife Miyuki Hatoyama
:alien:

“….While my body was asleep, I think my soul rode on a triangular-shaped UFO and went to Venus,” Miyuki Hatoyama, the wife of premier-in-waiting Yukio Hatoyama, wrote in a book published last year…”

'I was abducted by aliens', says wife of Japan's new PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar ... 939&pnum=0

Japan's next first lady says she rode spaceship
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32659678/ns ... siapacific

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... Venus.html

Japan election winner goes for the alien vote…the Venusians
http://news.3yen.com/2009-09-03/japan-e ... venusians/

Must be something more happening... you don't just resign as a PM or President, more is happening... and what about the thousands of CEO's that have resigned world wide!?

:peep:
The Map Is Not The Territory, The Word Is Not The Object....

Conspirator

PostWed Jun 02, 2010 1:43 pm » by Phaeton

Luvv your new avatar there Kingz, is he staring at a goat per chance? :D
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music"
"All our science measured against reality, is primitive and childlike - yet, in contemporary consensus, its the most precious thing we have"

Upload to Disclose.tv

Initiate

PostWed Jun 02, 2010 1:53 pm » by Mercury

Also the German President resigned May 31 and now what's this I read about Gordon Brown? :o (Obama, if you're reading this, you have my full support if you feel you need to step down. It's okay, really.)

And don't forget the Polish plane crash with president aboard. Yes, WTF is going on? This is all more than coincidence.

I agree that its odd what the Japanese PM said about local government and communities....that they'll know what he's talking about in 5 or 10 years.

Conspirator

PostWed Jun 02, 2010 2:10 pm » by Punjedi

phaeton wrote:Image

Looks like a scene from "Black Snake Moan"

The only movie that actually helped me lose respect for Ricci.... ;)
Nihil Sine Fide!

Conspirator

PostWed Jun 02, 2010 2:23 pm » by Kingz

Japan's Prime Minister Steps Down Over US Base Row, Hoping To Boost Party Ahead Of Elections

AP) TOKYO (AP) - Embattled Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama resigned Wednesday to improve his party's chances in an election next month, after his popularity plunged over his broken campaign promise to move a U.S. Marine base.

Finance Minister Naoto Kan, who has a clean and defiant image, emerged as a likely successor. He signaled he intends to run for leadership of the ruling Democratic Party of Japan at a party meeting to be held Friday.

Sweeping into office just eight months ago by defeating the long-ruling conservatives, Hatoyama captured the imagination of many Japanese voters with his promises to bring change and transparency to government, as the country grappled with economic stagnation and an aging, shrinking population.

So when he failed to deliver on his pledge to move the Marine Air Station Futenma off the southern island of Okinawa and his staff got ensnared in a political funding scandal, his approval ratings rapidly sank, falling below 20 percent.

"He could not live up to the huge expectations," said Tetsuro Kato, professor of politics at Hitotsubashi University in Tokyo. "He just proved himself to be a rich kid without experience and leadership skills.

"The expectations were so great, the disappointment was also great," he added.

Hatoyama, a professor-like millionaire with a Ph.D in engineering from Stanford University, is the fourth Japanese prime minister to resign in four years. Viewed as somewhat aloof and eccentric by the Japanese public, he earned the nickname "alien."

"Since last year's elections, I tried to change politics in which the people of Japan would be the main actors," Hatoyama told a news conference broadcast nationwide. But he conceded his efforts fell short and people stopped listening to him.

"That's mainly because of my failings," he said.

In recent days, he faced growing calls from within his own party to quit or imperil its chances in upper house elections likely to be held sometime in July. Hatoyama, the grandson of a prime minister, acknowledged in a news conference broadcast nationwide that he had disappointed the country with his handling of the Futenma issue, as well as the funding scandal.

The DPJ's powerful No. 2, Secretary General Ichiro Ozawa - seen by many as a "shadow shogun" - also resigned.

The party will meet Friday to choose a new chief, who will almost certainly become the next prime minister because the Democratic Party of Japan controls a majority in the more powerful lower house of parliament.

Analysts say the new prime minister faces an enormously challenging and unenviable job of steering his party through an extremely difficult election and minimizing the damage.

The leader would have to woo a disenchanted public, disgusted over Hatoyama's indecisiveness and broken promises and also have to carry out the government's promise with the U.S. to build a new base on Okinawa. In Washington, the U.S. State Department had no comment on Hatoyama's resignation.

The new leader may not even last long - in case he needs to resign to take responsibility for the DPJ's poor showing in the balloting.

Among the strong contenders as Hatoyama's replacement is Kan, 63, a former health minister, who has been popular with voters after exposing a government cover-up of HIV-tainted blood products that caused thousands of hemophilia patients to contract the virus that causes AIDS. He has a reputation for speaking his mind and sometimes being hot-tempered.

Foreign Minister Katsuya Okada, seen as mild and levelheaded, is another possible candidate. But his involvement in discussions over the Futenma base issue might be viewed as a negative by voters.

The slick-haired, soft-spoken Hatoyama, who grew up in a well-to-do family of politicians, may have grown too out of touch with everyday people and their economic hardships.

"I was very disappointed," said Masahiro Ueda, 38, who works for a software company, of Hatoyama's failure to deliver. "I thought he could change things, but in the end the issue just went back to square one."

Besides Futenma, Hatoyama reneged on other promises such as cash payments for children to reverse an aging society, halving the money from the initial proposal, and toll-free highways, which have been postponed.

Japanese politics tend to be unpredictable, and it is still unclear who will be picked in the jockeying of power among blocs of lawmakers in the Democratic Party. The pick will be Japan's next prime minister, because the Democrats have the majority in the lower house that chooses this nation's chief.

Hatoyama's coalition was dealt a blow over the weekend when the Social Democrats, a junior partner in the coalition, withdrew from the government after Hatoyama dismissed the party's leader, Mizuho Fukushima, from his Cabinet because she could not accept his decision on Futenma.

Half the seats in the 242-member upper house will be up for election. The DPJ and its Peoples New Party coalition partner together have 122 seats, with 56 up for grabs in July.

The DPJ and its partner can lose a majority in the chamber and still remain in power because they control the more powerful lower house. But it will make it more difficult for them to pass key legislation.

The once-powerful LDP remains in disarray after its crushing defeat last year, but recent polls show some voters may be swinging back toward the party.

Japanese media reports have also listed Transport Minister Seiji Maehara and Reform Minister Yoshito Sengoku as other possible successors.

Hiroshi Kawahara, political science professor at Waseda University, said Kan may emerge the safe choice because of his clean image - although he is probably unable to save the party from defeat in July's elections.

"Public disappointment is now so deep that Kan alone cannot restore voters' confidence," he said.

Hideto Sakaoka, a 54-year-old company employee, says he isn't voting for the DPJ again.

"We cannot let Hatoyama lead Japan," he said. "His words and actions always kept changing, and I don't trust him anymore."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/ ... 9362.shtml

Conspirator

PostWed Jun 02, 2010 2:27 pm » by Lilith

hhm alex collier said japan will be the first nation to have official contact with ETs...hhhm

hhhm :think:

phaeton wrote:Image

no..he stares into my soul :scary:

Conspirator

PostWed Jun 02, 2010 2:30 pm » by Kingz

lilith wrote:hhm alex collier said japan will be the first nation to have official contact with ETs...hhhm

hhhm :think:

....when did he say that...? :shock:

Could be true, maybe that is why he has to resign... because in Japan there was quite a controversy about his wife talking openly in public about her supposed Alien contact!

She has spoken many times about it... and how weird is this quote of the PM itself...

lilith wrote:no..he stares into my soul :scary:

:twisted:

Initiate

PostWed Jun 02, 2010 2:33 pm » by Ironshroom

interesting stuff, all these 'high ranking' people resigning so close to each other. although this guy was only PM for 8 months? lol

could be sabotage on his campaign but i don't know. that comment at the end about local government and "In five or ten years people of Japan will understand what I am talking about." is kind of ominous though.

Next