Jobless forced to pay for library internet access just as mo

Conspirator

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 9:19 pm » by Malogg

Jobless forced to pay for library internet access just as more services move online

Many libraries are providing the first half-hour of internet access free and then charging a range of fees to stay online

Britain's libraries are making the public pay for services previously provided for FREE before the Tory-led Coalition’s cuts, a shock survey reveals today.

And the new charges are hitting jobseekers, children and the elderly hardest as they had relied on free access to the internet and computer services at their local library.

In prime minister David Cameron’s Witney constituency and the rest of Oxfordshire, disabled people who could borrow DVDs and CDs for free now have to pay charges from £1.25 to £4.50.

Many libraries are providing the first half-hour of internet access free and then charging a range of fees to stay online.

And librarians say the move is poorly timed - just as the Government is putting more of its services online, such as applying for benefits and fill in job applications.

One librarian said:”A significant part of the population cannot afford to buy a computer or pay for broadband to access the internet.

“Consequently, the only opportunity this portion of the population has to access the internet is via library services, causing social exclusion.”

A survey of 2,000 library staff by Britain’s biggest public sector union Unison for its annual conference in Liverpool this week, uncovered a sorry picture of rising charges, shrinking opening hours and job losses in those libraries managing to escape being shutdown.

Many reported a steep rise in fines, charges for computer services and Internet access as well as children’s and schools-related services and author visits - the very services that attract new users to libraries.

And the survey that more than 40% of staff say their library now has an ‘income generation target’, prompting the same percentage (40%) to say that their library is now run more like a business than a public service.

One third report that libraries have reduced their opening hours, and a third have introduced charges for services previously provided for free.

A total of 79% of staff say they are working harder to try to maintain the same level of service, while 57% say it is impossible to maintain the same level of service as existed before the coalition’s drastic cuts. 60% have seen full time job losses, and more than half (54%) have seen a reduction in part time posts.

More than half (55%) report that their library relies on volunteers, which 73% say has grown since 2010, revealing the steady de-professionalisation of the service under the Tory-led coalition.

Heather Wakefield, Unison’s head of local government, said:“The government says that it values local libraries, but this is pure fiction - the facts speak for themselves.

“Hundreds of libraries have been closed, and those that remain are cutting their opening hours, their staffing levels, and some of the services they provide.

"Volunteers cannot be relied on to replace trained skilled library staff – the library service is being run into the ground.

“For more than 100 years libraries have been at the heart of our communities.

"They’ve inspired people to learn, helped parents on low incomes get their children interested in books, made it possible for people without a home computer to apply for work, and reached out to give elderly people a sense of community.

“But all this is now at risk. Libraries are being turned into businesses and Unison is calling for urgent action to protect them as a vital public service for communities now and in the future.”

Earlier this year (04.04.13) the Mirror revealed two libraries are closing every week under the cuts in the last two years.

A total of 439 libraries have closed since the Tory-led Coalition came to power in 2010, with another 280 - 245 buildings and 35 mobiles - now under threat.

Nearly 4000 full time jobs have been lost.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jo ... et-1959330

Costs myself approx £30 a month for free calls and internet in the home so Ima nae to fussed but not everyone has their own home let alone a fkn laptop or computer so this really p1sses me off to the hilt as Ima know this has gotta sting the poorest of sheeps badly if they wanna get online at their local library.
HAHA Image

Conspirator

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 1:07 am » by Dagnamski

Half an hour is alright, means you can't troll DTV so long. :D

My local library is usually jammed with people. If some dick is on computer all day hogging it for nothing watchagonna do eh?

:scary:

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it”

>>>>>Image

Conspirator

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 1:39 am » by Phoenix rising

Thats not new here where i live, they have been charging a quid an hour for a long while and our local library has been earmarked for closure in the frontline cost cutting policies, residents are extremely disappointed that a very well used local community hub is being shut down, all the worse considering the politicians are seriously considering a £20.000 pay rise each and are giving the nod to arm the Syrian rebels :bang; :bang; :bang;
We live a one directional life in an omnidirectional existence

Conspirator

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 2:05 am » by Malogg

Chaindrive wrote:The library system (at least here) is a very dead concept... and when the internet came to be... thats when all the libraries should of been closed... Well, except in state capitals of course in case of whatever..

The libraries in this area... all have the very same shit... oprah winfrey's book of the month... shit about martha stewart, endless books of life stories about capitol elitists and any music books... well its mostly Readers Digest "Treasury of Best Loved Songs" circe 1920s - 1949 and whats new.. its usually the flavor of the week on top 40 crap.. and its "artist" that belong to the Illuminati..

Really............ who gives a shit... and I keep missing the yearly book sale, cause most everything that I do check out, if at all.. were pulled for the sale... now there no long on the shelf.... so whats the point of going to a library for in the first place..?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The only reason why Id go to a large city library.. with my briefcase in hand thats got my laptop, external HDDs and other gadgets is to lay everything out on a table in the corner of the building/room whatever... borrow whatever I need from their DVD rack, go over and rip them on the spot... done... Oh course I wont tell them THAT.. none of their fuckin business... and cant do jack shit about it anyway. Yeah I know... but try to prove it otherwise... good luck..

Now looking for jobs... the state workforce center around here.. well... if you put in whatever your looking for work... then you might get a email about and a link to the workforce site... tells you what it is, where its at, how much and whats required... BUT.. they wont tell you who it is... now you have to go to their office to find out (no phone calls).. it really doesnt help at all when you live like 20 miles from it and now you have to drive all the way there ONLY to find out that it was already taken...

now.. wheres the logic in that shit...???

Like walmart... at least you can get on their little machine to fill out an application... this should be required in every business, and be able to do it from any terminal anywhere as well...

Kill 95% of the libraries and take that money and put it to the accessibility for everyone towards the Internet. Except for little rug burns who hog them just to play games on them... do that shit AT school, get one of their teachers to babysit you punks instead at the library...

:cheers:

Ima very lucky man in my wee city Ima have a Library 10 mins walk from my home, actually Ima never really used this one much although Ima told it is superb.

In Aberdeen city centre next to the thearter we have a massive ein, which Ima love but feck hell loose a book or dvd etc wow your paying 4 or 5 times the price it would be worth from ebay ahaha .

Ima ust to use the Mastrick Library alot when Ima lived in that part of town but it was rather tinky.

Rotten how children are not taught to treasure books these days, Ima was teaching my wee girl to read and write at fkn 3 n half... Wow she so loved books - actually it was heart breaking throwing out her books n toys a few weeks ago due to the fact she has grown out of these things, although Ima found out not so long ago my daughter has won awards in her school for her wee brain, ahahha she fkn never got much of a brain from her mother that is for sure unless her mother fryed hers with speed fkn little freakoid nvm she never took much time trying to even bother teaching my daughter typical, also of her son Ima taught him too fkn well the wee b@stard that he was... A very lucky witch is my ex to have two such clever children ~ rather fkn rare indeed. . .

Scary to think that soon most Library's will be closing due to the internet where children much prefer to read on-line, giving them not the best of their Imagination to express their inner self's. . .

F@ck in my day some daft teachers thought it was punishment to send us to the Library to read and write eons of dribble from history and science books, which of course- Ima always moaned about silly, when really Ima fkn loved books, could never get enough of them but sadly now Ima limit my reading to forums and bloggs apon line, due to the fact of not being able to enjoy books as much for feck knows what reason. Although History, Geography and Science/Physics books Ima still very much read over a few times.

If our Library's go we may as well nuke the shop as it is a terribly dumbed down sh1t hole we live in as it is.
HAHA Image

Conspirator

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 2:23 am » by Malogg

Phoenix rising wrote:Thats not new here where i live, they have been charging a quid an hour for a long while and our local library has been earmarked for closure in the frontline cost cutting policies, residents are extremely disappointed that a very well used local community hub is being shut down, all the worse considering the politicians are seriously considering a £20.000 pay rise each and are giving the nod to arm the Syrian rebels :bang; :bang; :bang;

Bet them beastly politicians do feck all reading or writing ahaha apart from signing the restaurant and Hotel checks in our names the b@stards. . .

They all got their fkn PA's to do all the reading and fkn admin p1sh.
:lol:
HAHA Image

Conspirator

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 2:35 am » by Malogg

Dagnamski wrote:Half an hour is alright, means you can't troll DTV so long. :D

My local library is usually jammed with people. If some dick is on computer all day hogging it for nothing watchagonna do eh?

:scary:

PMSL Ima stay the f@ck away from the computers in my Library ~ tooo many fkn smelly idiots with headphones on. . .

HAHA Image

Conspirator

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 2:39 am » by Malogg

Chaindrive wrote:
Dagnamski wrote:My local library is usually jammed with people. If some dick is on computer all day hogging it for nothing watchagonna do eh?

very simple, you give them a...............

Upload to Disclose.tv

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

Replay ahahaha replay again again, Ima fkn loved that cheers

ROFL
:lol: :lol: :lol:
HAHA Image