LARGEST EARTHQUAKE IN 30 YEARS ROCKS MT. ST. HELENS

Master Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 10102
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:10 pm
Location: Packing my stuff and moving to Denver like you should be doing

PostTue Feb 15, 2011 8:36 pm » by Savwafair2012


STRONGEST EARTHQUAKE IN 30 YEARS ROCKS MT. ST. HELENS



Image

4.3 no biggie you say?

Image

The second largest earthquake since Mount St. Helens erupted -- a magnitude 4.3 shaker -- rocked a fault line six miles north of the volcano Monday morning. People felt it as far away as Astoria, Lake Oswego, Hood River and even Bremerton, Wash., near Seattle.

The last one, as it happens, was 30 years ago also on Valentine's Day, a magnitude 5.5 temblor.

That 1981 earthquake appeared to be the result of the earth's crust readjusting after magma oozed up through the fault and blew the mountain's top on May 18, 1980.

Previous coverage
See photos and read coverage of the 30th anniversary of the May 1980 eruption.Monday's quake was of the "strike-slip variety," said seismologist Seth Moran of the Cascades Volcano Observatory in Vancouver.

The large tectonic Juan de Fuca plate is diving beneath the North American plate. At places, the plates get stuck together. An earthquake occurs when the plates slip past each other, releasing energy, he said.

More than 900 people reported feeling the 10:35 a.m. earthquake, posting their responses on the U.S. Geologic Survey's "Did you feel it?" page on its website. No damage was reported.

"I felt it, and certainly a lot of people here felt it," Moran said. "It was broadly felt, and, for a 4.3, that's appropriate, it was a decent-sized earthquake."



Largest earthquake in 30 years rocks area north of Mount St. Helens

A 4.3 earthquake rumbled beneath the earth about six miles north of Mount St. Helens Monday morning. The quake, which was felt by hundreds of people from as far away as Bremerton, Wash. and Astoria, occurred along a well-known fault line and is not a precursor to another eruption or more dome-building inside Mount St. Helens' crater, seismologists said.

Watch video



Mount St. Helens has rumbled and belched and quaked nearly every day since the May 1980 eruption, averaging one to two earthquakes a day, Moran said. In late January, a swarm of earthquakes was detected in the same general area as Monday's quake, known as the Mount St. Helen's Seismic Zone.

The zone runs from Mount St. Helens 30 miles north to Morton, Wash. The largest quake in that January swarm was a modest magnitude 2.6, he said. Monday's quake, like those previous ones, occurred at a relatively shallow depth of about 3.1 miles.

The quake doesn't presage another eruption, or another round of dome-building inside the crater like the action that followed a smaller magma eruption in fall 2004, Moran said. This one was simply a result of tectonic plates clashing beneath the earth's surface along the fault.

Still, he said: "Anytime a 4.3 earthquake happens in this area, you pay attention because they're not that common. Realistically, we don't know exactly what's going to happen, but there's a reasonable guess that this was the largest event that we're going to see, and that's based on the fact that we've only had one event that's larger in the past 30 years."


http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... years.html
Image
FAIR USE NOTICE.
Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, . http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 1316
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 9:38 pm
Location: אין סוף אוֹר

PostTue Feb 15, 2011 8:41 pm » by Gisgangusur


savwafair2012 wrote:STRONGEST EARTHQUAKE IN 30 YEARS ROCKS MT. ST. HELENS



Image

4.3 no biggie you say?

Image

The second largest earthquake since Mount St. Helens erupted -- a magnitude 4.3 shaker -- rocked a fault line six miles north of the volcano Monday morning. People felt it as far away as Astoria, Lake Oswego, Hood River and even Bremerton, Wash., near Seattle.

The last one, as it happens, was 30 years ago also on Valentine's Day, a magnitude 5.5 temblor.

That 1981 earthquake appeared to be the result of the earth's crust readjusting after magma oozed up through the fault and blew the mountain's top on May 18, 1980.

Previous coverage
See photos and read coverage of the 30th anniversary of the May 1980 eruption.Monday's quake was of the "strike-slip variety," said seismologist Seth Moran of the Cascades Volcano Observatory in Vancouver.

The large tectonic Juan de Fuca plate is diving beneath the North American plate. At places, the plates get stuck together. An earthquake occurs when the plates slip past each other, releasing energy, he said.

More than 900 people reported feeling the 10:35 a.m. earthquake, posting their responses on the U.S. Geologic Survey's "Did you feel it?" page on its website. No damage was reported.

"I felt it, and certainly a lot of people here felt it," Moran said. "It was broadly felt, and, for a 4.3, that's appropriate, it was a decent-sized earthquake."



Largest earthquake in 30 years rocks area north of Mount St. Helens

A 4.3 earthquake rumbled beneath the earth about six miles north of Mount St. Helens Monday morning. The quake, which was felt by hundreds of people from as far away as Bremerton, Wash. and Astoria, occurred along a well-known fault line and is not a precursor to another eruption or more dome-building inside Mount St. Helens' crater, seismologists said.

Watch video



Mount St. Helens has rumbled and belched and quaked nearly every day since the May 1980 eruption, averaging one to two earthquakes a day, Moran said. In late January, a swarm of earthquakes was detected in the same general area as Monday's quake, known as the Mount St. Helen's Seismic Zone.

The zone runs from Mount St. Helens 30 miles north to Morton, Wash. The largest quake in that January swarm was a modest magnitude 2.6, he said. Monday's quake, like those previous ones, occurred at a relatively shallow depth of about 3.1 miles.

The quake doesn't presage another eruption, or another round of dome-building inside the crater like the action that followed a smaller magma eruption in fall 2004, Moran said. This one was simply a result of tectonic plates clashing beneath the earth's surface along the fault.

Still, he said: "Anytime a 4.3 earthquake happens in this area, you pay attention because they're not that common. Realistically, we don't know exactly what's going to happen, but there's a reasonable guess that this was the largest event that we're going to see, and that's based on the fact that we've only had one event that's larger in the past 30 years."


http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... years.html


:think: :flop:
Now ye shall know that the chosen priest & apostle of infinite space is the prince-priest, the Beast; and in his woman, called the Scarlet Woman, is all power given.

"VISITA INTERIORA TERRAE RECTIFICANDO INVENIES OCCULTUM LAPIDEM."

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 6966
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:39 am

PostTue Feb 15, 2011 8:44 pm » by E6722maj


nibiru/pole shift/swampgas or military flares. nothing to see here etc etc..

.
whatever

Conspirator
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 4:02 pm

PostTue Feb 15, 2011 8:45 pm » by Punjedi


Title should have read "Somewhat rare earthquake causes slight bump"


Sensationalist doom mongering posts. Love it!
Image
Nihil Sine Fide!

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:03 pm

PostTue Feb 15, 2011 8:50 pm » by Mumin


punjedi wrote:Title should have read "Somewhat rare earthquake causes slight bump"


Sensationalist doom mongering posts. Love it!



hey.. at least it didn't say:
"LARGEST EARTHQUAKE IN 30 YEARS ROCKS MT. ST. HELENS! ALL SCIENTISTS CONFIRM: CAUSE = NIBIRU!!!!"

Conspirator
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 4:02 pm

PostTue Feb 15, 2011 8:52 pm » by Punjedi


mumin wrote:
punjedi wrote:Title should have read "Somewhat rare earthquake causes slight bump"


Sensationalist doom mongering posts. Love it!



hey.. at least it didn't say:
"LARGEST EARTHQUAKE IN 30 YEARS ROCKS MT. ST. HELENS! ALL SCIENTISTS CONFIRM: CAUSE = NIBIRU!!!!"



ah true, fair enough :)
Image
Nihil Sine Fide!



  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook