LIberals=Evolved... Conservatives=Primative

Initiate

PostFri Dec 31, 2010 10:08 am » by 7hidden7agenda7

Yay controversy.. :banana:
Conservatives will feel all butthurt about this.. they have no choice.. they don't have the brain power to process more rational decisions :flop:
:hell: Let the flame wars begin!
:D
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1342239/Brain-study-reveals-right-wing-conservatives-larger-primitive-amygdala.html wrote:Our political allegiances could be hard-wired into our brains, neuroscientists believe.

Researchers have found evidence that the brains of conservatives are a different shape to those of Left-wingers. Scans of 90 students’ brains at University College London uncovered a ‘strong correlation’ between the thickness of two particular areas of grey matter and an individual’s political views.

Self-proclaimed right-wingers had a more pronounced amygdala - a primitive part of the brain associated with emotion.It is an almond-shape set of neurons located deep in the brain's medial temporal lobe. However, those aligned to the left had thicker anterior cingulates - which is an area associated with anticipation and decision-making.

The research was carried out by Geraint Rees director of the UCL Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience who said he was 'very surprised' by the finding, which is being peer reviewed before publication next year. It was commissioned as a light-hearted experiment by actor Colin Firth as part of his turn guest editing BBC Radio 4's Today programme but has now developed into a serious effort to discover whether we are programmed with a particular political view.

Professor Rees said that although it was not precise enough to be able to predict someone's stance simply from a scan, there was 'a strong correlation that reaches all our scientific tests of significance'. 'The anterior cingulate is a part of the brain that is on the middle surface of the brain at the front and we found that the thickness of the grey matter, where the nerve cells of neurons are, was thicker the more people described themselves as liberal or left wing and thinner the more they described themselves as conservative or right wing,' he told the programme.
'The amygdala is a part of the brain which is very old and very ancient and thought to be very primitive and to do with the detection of emotions. The right amygdala was larger in those people who described themselves as conservative.

Colin Firth commissioned the study as a light-hearted experiment but that has now developed into something more serious. olin Firth commissioned the study as a light-hearted experiment but that has now developed into something more serious. 'It is very significant because it does suggest there is something about political attitudes that are either encoded in our brain structure through our experience or that our brain structure in some way determines or results in our political attitudes.'

Mr Firth - who recently declared he had ended public support for the Liberal Democrats - said he would like to have party leader and now Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg subjected to the tests. 'I think we should have him scanned,' he said. He said the coalition made him 'extremely uneasy' but would not rule out voting Lib Dem in future. 'I would have to see what identity they took on because I don't recognise them at the moment. I think all three parties are in a state of re-evaluation.'

Talking about the experiment, he said: 'I took this on as a fairly frivolous exercise: I just decided to find out what was biologically wrong with people who don't agree with me and see what scientists had to say about it and they actually came up with something.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... gdala.html
Expedite Your Imminent Demise. Or Die Trying!

Conspirator

PostFri Dec 31, 2010 10:48 am » by Mediasorcerer

oh my god,you believe this chit?
with the power of soul,anything is possible
with the power of you,anything that you wanna do

Initiate

PostFri Dec 31, 2010 7:39 pm » by 7hidden7agenda7

mediasorcerer wrote:oh my god,you believe this chit?

believe? don't be silly, I don't believe anything. This is simply information. science that is currently under peer review.. which means that at some point in the near future other scientists are going to either confirm or refute these results. However.. facts are stuborn things.

I assume you've dismissed the entire thing as leftist propaganda, or fraudulent, or however else you justify your unwillingness to accept facts?
:sleep:

Initiate

PostFri Dec 31, 2010 7:45 pm » by Nyarelathodep

Multidimension view (not restricting itself to narrow trains of thought and political affiliations to provide its thinking) = evolved.
One dimensional views (feeling the need to adhere to specific ideologies exhibited via political camps with an all-or-nothing mentality, favouring one over the other)= primative.
For challenges to come, we stand against the tide...under the banner of the brave. Mission Aetheria...the future belongs to the brave.

Initiate

PostMon Jan 03, 2011 4:24 am » by Fasteddie

i agree with this, extremes on either side of politics seem to defend there beliefs even if they know they are wrong.

Initiate

PostMon Jan 03, 2011 12:56 pm » by 7hidden7agenda7

:mrgreen:
nyarelathodep wrote:Multidimension view (not restricting itself to narrow trains of thought and political affiliations to provide its thinking) = evolved = Liberals
One dimensional views (feeling the need to adhere to specific ideologies exhibited via political camps with an all-or-nothing mentality, favouring one over the other)= primative = conservatives
this isn't actually relevent anyway, since america only has 2 parties to chose from, the retarded jock party and the weak pathetic nerd party. most people are nestled between them, swayed by the moment, fickle to the whispered promises and veiled threats of the ever present "now"..

fasteddie wrote:i agree with this :arrow: [tits pwn!] , extremes on either side of politics seem to defend there beliefs even if they know they are wrong. conservatives defend their politics especially if they are wrong. because they reject any evidence that they could be mistaken. liberals defend their politics because they know that they are right. and will generally accept any evidence to the contrary because they aren't afraid to adjust their perspective to accomodate new facts..

Conspirator

PostMon Jan 03, 2011 2:24 pm » by Mediasorcerer

so,your left or right,nothing inbetween,and one does not evolve and change,or switch between the two,and its fact is it?
yeh ok,sure,nice attempt at a useless flame war,however,this dont take into acount,we can be neither.we can have our own paradigm.but you can believe it if it makes you happy.afterall,science knows everything,and its never wrong,facts!!!!!hahahahahaha

Conspirator

PostMon Jan 03, 2011 2:35 pm » by Mediasorcerer

like per as usual,science draws a blank when it comes to the spirit,its one area that cant be accounted for by the limited view that we are just our brain.when those who are wise know we are more than just a brain.

Master Conspirator

PostMon Jan 03, 2011 5:15 pm » by Cornbread714

Great post! I have no idea whether this study really means anything, but I love it anyway, ha ha.

It makes perfect sense to me, of course, but I'm sure a few of you with abnormally thick amygdalas will have some appropriately primitive and emotional reactions, which will only serve to provide more evidence in favor of the study's findings, ha ha ha... :alien51:
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Super Moderator

PostMon Jan 03, 2011 5:28 pm » by Seahawk

:lol: :dancing: :banana: :dancing: :flop:

Upload to Disclose.tv

We gather knowledge faster than we gather wisdom. - William Bell

Next

Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook