Louis Wain’s cats as he progressed into schizophrenia.

Conspirator

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 10:40 pm » by Poooooot

Louis Wain was a successful English artist who began to paint cats exclusively, after extensively painting his dying wife’s cat. He then made a living on children’s books and illustrations of anthropomorphic cats often parodying everyday life. After about 30 years he began to suffer from schizophrenia, theorized to be precipitated by toxoplasmosis, a parasitic infection that can be contracted from cats. After he became too paranoid and violent for his sisters to care for, he was institutionalized at the relatively pleasant Napsbury Hospital , with a garden and colony of cats. Over the next 15 years, he continued to paint cats in increasingly psychedelic depictions.

Matthew 7
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Conspirator

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 10:48 pm » by Phaeton

Gddmn.
Shouldnt that be 'Louis Wain's cats as he progressed into an acid trip'?

:think:
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music"
"All our science measured against reality, is primitive and childlike - yet, in contemporary consensus, its the most precious thing we have"

Upload to Disclose.tv

Super Moderator

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 10:51 pm » by Spock

Sort of reminds me of Alex Gray

http://alexgrey.com

Conspirator

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 10:57 pm » by Ufosarus

Phaeton wrote:Gddmn.

hmmm.while were on a weird note! i dont know wether i like that song in ur sig or really hate it :headscratch:

Conspirator

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 11:16 pm » by Phaeton

Ufosarus wrote:

hmmm.while were on a weird note! i dont know wether i like that song in ur sig or really hate it :headscratch:

Thank you for that information.
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music"
"All our science measured against reality, is primitive and childlike - yet, in contemporary consensus, its the most precious thing we have"

Upload to Disclose.tv

Conspirator

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 11:19 pm » by Ufosarus

Phaeton wrote:
Ufosarus wrote:

Thank you for that information.

ur welcome :lol:

Conspirator
Location: 'Happiness is the angle at which the wise are gathered'

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 11:23 pm » by SamueltheLion

thank you for posting those drawings
Your faith will make you whole

Super Moderator

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 11:29 pm » by Spock

I wonder if all his work turned that symmetrical as the schizophrenia ran it's course.

Conspirator

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 am » by Shemagh

Spock wrote:I wonder if all his work turned that symmetrical as the schizophrenia ran it's course.

Definate change! but some of the earlier stuff, cat's on hind legs, in human mode etc....... I don't know.

Upload to Disclose.tv

Writer

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 1:19 am » by Imnottheone

Great thread. I'm doing a little more reading on this for sure. So far, some think that he may have had Aspergers (sp.) syndrome. Coming down with schizophrenia at a late age is rare, but I suspect the same for aspergers. Either way, the are records of his personality change. Quite interesting indeed. :cheers: