Mankind on the Edge of the Solar System

Conspirator

PostFri Dec 16, 2011 8:54 pm » by Will69ease

Mankind is on the brink of sending a probe beyond our solar system. This is an awesome achievement. The Voyager 1 spacecraft reached a new region between the solar system and interstellar space over the last year, scientists behind the project announced last week.

Voyager 1 is over 11 billion miles away from Earth. At its current speed, it covers a billion miles every three years. That’s over 38,000 miles a day—more than one and a half times around the equator.

The sun sends out a solar wind—a stream of fast-moving charged particles. Voyager 1 has passed into a region where streams of particles from outside the solar system—a type of wind—is pushing back.

“Voyager tells us now that we’re in a stagnation region in the outermost layer of the bubble around our solar system,” said Voyager project scientist at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, Ed Stone. “Voyager is showing that what is outside is pushing back. We shouldn’t have long to wait to find out what the space between stars is really like.”

“We’ve found that the wind speeds are low in this region and gust erratically,” said Rob Decker, a scientist at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory working on the project. “For the first time, the wind even blows back at us. We are evidently traveling in completely new territory. Scientists had suggested previously that there might be a stagnation layer, but we weren’t sure it existed until now.”

In a matter of months, or maybe a few years, Voyager will cross into interstellar space.

NASA estimates that one third of the effort that went into building the Great Pyramid has gone into the Voyager project. Like the moon landing, the project is an inspiring testament to what mankind is capable of.

But it also shows how insignificant man’s efforts are, in comparison to the vastness of the universe.

Voyager’s batteries will run out around 2025. But it will keep moving. In 40,000 years, it will pass “close”—a mere 1.6 light years, or 9.3 trillion miles—to what will then be one of our nearest stars, AC+79 3888. By then, AC+79 3888 will be closer to the sun than today’s closest star—at a distance of only around 3.5 light years.
http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/didyouknow.html

So after 40,000 years, one of the fastest objects man has ever produced will come kind-of close to a very close star. That’s the best we can do at interstellar travel.

The vastness of the universe staggers the mind. So, far we can’t even claim to have scratched its surface.

But God designed the extraordinary inventiveness of man—the inventiveness that can build a probe and send it 11 billion miles into space. God intends man to make a difference in the universe. With man that is impossible. But the Bible reveals that man’s destiny will affect the whole universe. To find out more about man’s role in the universe read or order for free:
“Our Awesome Universe Potential”
http://www.thetrumpet.com/?page=book&b=1105

Master Conspirator

PostFri Dec 16, 2011 9:02 pm » by Drjones

Personally i don't see the point in all this. I don't see the point in ANY space exploration. Why are we exploring outer space when we have never really explored inner space, OURSELVES ? It's really mentally ill and i dare say evil, given the vast scope of humanity's problems on Earth ie- billions of human beings have no food or water or shelter, here we are spending BILLIONS on sending some robotic artificial probe into the space to may or may not find life, that may or may not not find important molecules, whatever. I mean c'mon, this is absurd ! Fix Earth, fix ourselves first and then we should MAYBE think about exploring outer space. I like Earth, i like human beings, i like all the fascinating life we have here and have yet to find, what exactly are we going to find in 'outer' space that we have'nt got here ? And even if we did find something, that was a gazillion lights years away or whatever, then what ?
Like i say this is mentally ill given the current state of reality that most people are disconnected from.
:help:

Conspirator

PostFri Dec 16, 2011 9:28 pm » by Noentry

will69ease I like this post.
This is an interesting subject mankind slowly expanding to all corners of the world and now, our solar system. We finally made it to the space between stars.

But God designed the extraordinary inventiveness of man—the inventiveness that can build a probe and send it 11 billion miles into space. God intends man to make a difference in the universe. With man that is impossible. But the Bible reveals that man’s destiny will affect the whole universe. To find out more about man’s role in the universe read or order for free:

Is it the age old, dark versus light .Good verses Evil.
Creation is consciousness, so what ever form consciousness takes it will all ways be in the image of creation.
Do we have a place in some grand plan or are we trying to find some purpose to exist?

Personally ,I think man is still looking for a purpose to existence, other then just to exist.

Great post will :flop:
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostFri Dec 16, 2011 9:34 pm » by Fatdogmendoza

drjones wrote:Personally i don't see the point in all this. I don't see the point in ANY space exploration. Why are we exploring outer space when we have never really explored inner space, OURSELVES ? It's really mentally ill and i dare say evil, given the vast scope of humanity's problems on Earth ie- billions of human beings have no food or water or shelter, here we are spending BILLIONS on sending some robotic artificial probe into the space to may or may not find life, that may or may not not find important molecules, whatever. I mean c'mon, this is absurd ! Fix Earth, fix ourselves first and then we should MAYBE think about exploring outer space. I like Earth, i like human beings, i like all the fascinating life we have here and have yet to find, what exactly are we going to find in 'outer' space that we have'nt got here ? And even if we did find something, that was a gazillion lights years away or whatever, then what ?
Like i say this is mentally ill given the current state of reality that most people are disconnected from.

:flop: I kind of agree with the gist of your post.. We cant even imagine what is in our oceans and seas, we have no idea what may exist beneath the earths surface and we arent even aware of the numerous life forms that exist in our jungles and even our cities... We arent aware of what may exist beneath the ice at the polar caps in the under ice seas and lakes.
Canubis wrote:slith dont b A noob.. u r my no 1 mo fo

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 17, 2011 12:49 am » by Will69ease

noentry wrote:will69ease I like this post.
This is an interesting subject mankind slowly expanding to all corners of the world and now, our solar system. We finally made it to the space between stars.

Is it the age old, dark versus light .Good verses Evil.
Creation is consciousness, so what ever form consciousness takes it will all ways be in the image of creation.
Do we have a place in some grand plan or are we trying to find some purpose to exist?

Personally ,I think man is still looking for a purpose to existence, other then just to exist.

Great post will :flop:

Thank you.
The irony is that it was a collective effort of many minds to make it happen, but no one person could accomplish it.

Initiate

PostSat Dec 17, 2011 12:54 am » by Newssniffer

drjones wrote:Personally i don't see the point in all this. I don't see the point in ANY space exploration. Why are we exploring outer space when we have never really explored inner space, OURSELVES ? It's really mentally ill and i dare say evil, given the vast scope of humanity's problems on Earth ie- billions of human beings have no food or water or shelter, here we are spending BILLIONS on sending some robotic artificial probe into the space to may or may not find life, that may or may not not find important molecules, whatever. I mean c'mon, this is absurd ! Fix Earth, fix ourselves first and then we should MAYBE think about exploring outer space. I like Earth, i like human beings, i like all the fascinating life we have here and have yet to find, what exactly are we going to find in 'outer' space that we have'nt got here ? And even if we did find something, that was a gazillion lights years away or whatever, then what ?

In all my years here, I never once thought I'd disagree with a post by you Dr. J!

I think meaningful space exploration will help Earth more than you give it credit. But, like I said, meaningful space exploration. Spending billions on drones doesn't fit my view of meaningful.

If more of us could look at Earth from Space - it's beautiful blue glow, snow white clouds, movement of life - more of us would gain a profound respect for the importance of our planet. If more of us were away for years on space missions, more of us would value the feeling of soil between our toes than all the money in our bank accounts. If more of us could get out there, our national, cultural and religious differences would seem so small and insignificant to the vastness of our total existence.

I wish we could just get out there without draining money from the system, but unlike almost everything we spend trillions on, this is the one thing that could help to enlighten us, and free us from depleting the finite resources of our living planet. It's the only plan we've got that actually has an endgame in our minds.

Super Moderator

PostSat Dec 17, 2011 2:17 am » by Spock

Nice post Willy.

@ Jones. We can do both at the same time, because both goals are equally as futile, unless there is a God that has a personal stake in humanity, in which both goals are only attainable through him.

You want to fix the Earth, hell, we can't even fix DTV.

Initiate

PostSat Dec 17, 2011 3:26 am » by Tgwusauk

drjones wrote:[b]Personally i don't see the point in all this. I don't see the point in ANY space exploration. Why are we exploring outer space when we have never really explored inner space, OURSELVES ? It's really mentally ill and i dare say evil, given the vast scope of humanity's problems on Earth ie- billions of human beings have no food or water or shelter, here we are spending BILLIONS on sending some robotic artificial probe into the space to may or may not find life, that may or may not not find important molecules, whatever. I mean c'mon, this is absurd ! Fix Earth, fix ourselves first and then we should MAYBE think about exploring outer space. I like Earth, i like human beings, i like all the fascinating life we have here and have yet to find, what exactly are we going to find in 'outer' space that we have'nt got here ? And even if we did find something, that was a gazillion lights years away or whatever, then what ?
Like i say this is mentally ill given the current state of reality that most people are disconnected from.[/b] :help:

I don't see the point of you, every post a debunking or rubbishing, do you have anything positive to say about anything?
Without space travel we are doomed on this planet it wont last, good job you were not around when mankind is alleged to have come out of Africa, because if you were in charge we would all be on one continent now.

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 17, 2011 5:06 am » by Will69ease

spock wrote:Nice post Willy.

@ Jones. We can do both at the same time, because both goals are equally as futile, unless there is a God that has a personal stake in humanity, in which both goals are only attainable through him.

Thanks!
As for drjones, look at it this way...at least he isn't claiming we didn't achieve great things in the exploration of space (frutty). There are so many things about our daily lives that are fact now because of the efforts in space, so I don't agree that it is a waste of resources.
It would require a new thread of it's own just to scratch the surface of the benefits to humanity.

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 17, 2011 10:44 am » by Mediasorcerer

spock wrote:Nice post Willy.

hey spock,

you have piqued my curiosity re fixing dtv, what,in your op, is broken about this place?
with the power of soul,anything is possible
with the power of you,anything that you wanna do

Next