Matter of Torrents: Stealing or Sharing?

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 10:49 pm » by Norwegiangrey

File sharing is not theft.
The content could be seen as illegal.
File content once published is in the public domain and cannot therefore be stolen.
The arguments about copyright law are void as it is impossible to police globally.
I would guess that the majority do not support copyright in its current form.
Democratic society fixes what law is - not politicians.

We are seeing a 'global internet society' being subjected to local legislative laws, ie , an attempt to divide and rule via the UK, France, EU, Sweden, USA, etc....
There needs to be representation of the GLOBAL File sharing Community to oppose the governments before they remove our freedom of information.

Conspirator

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 10:52 pm » by Mushroom

iamcare wrote:I dont understand the arguement that "theft is theft"

There are companies that go to water sources in the third world, fence them of and charge people for the produce. Would you say to a starving child taking water from that facility without paying that 'theft is theft' when it is only money and arms that have established ownership of something that has belonged to everyone previously? Does anyone even really 'own' water or land?

In order for theft to occur one must establish the right of ownership, when you buy a cd or dvd the ownership is yours it is therefore up to you what you do with it. If you wish to share it that is your perogative and the idea of criminalising that perogative is ludicrous.
also by saying it's as black and white as 'theft is theft' and therefore should be punished you open the door for anyone with power and influence to ban anything they like, be it justified or not, as long as they have law on their side

I'm sorry.. You misunderstood my stupid rant.

I was saying that laws get put into place by people who PROFIT from them. Alot of laws in the UK are morally wrong.. but still law.

Theft is theft. Now the ownership issue is decided by the invading (country, corporation... take your pick). This then becomes law and if you steal from them what they have stolen from you, you will be penalised. It's not fair but thats how its worked for hundreds of years.

I believe that land should not be OWNED and rented. Who gave anybody the right to own land? (PS There are many answers to this question.... which one is true?)

Initiate

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 11:10 pm » by Futuju

Writer

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 11:26 pm » by Getlucky13

Some of you guys need to read The Fountainhead and think about it from the perspective of the creator. As a musician I have nothing against giving things to people for free...when I give it to them. This doesnt go for everything, because obviously not all music is creation (thank you Disney). True creation, however, is taking something, and making something completely new. When I write a song, it's not borrowed from anyone. I'm not using your idea's, in no way is anyone but my own mind involved (or group of minds in the case of collaborative effort). Therefore, I don't owe my creation to you. It is MY creation, and I am choosing to give it to you. If I put a price on it to sustain my lively hood and continue to provide MY creations, it's completely within bounds to expect payment.

Many of you only know mainstream music and are just as blind to do it yourselfers and smaller acts as the mass are to the things we talk about here. The mainstream record industry is bad, but there's label's and such that arn't all like that. Not every labels a leach. Not every band is getting dicked. A lot of people put a price on that creation as a simple means of survival, because they already put everything else into the creation.

I'm not trying to say all piracy is wrong. If you wanna steal a Nickelback cd, for god sakes take it because what the fuck do they need the money for? But people should be aware that the same sites allowing you to do that are also destroying another persons lively hood, and there should be limitations or some sort of regulations in place on that. In my opinion, the bad outweighs the good. Don't fight the music industry by stealing their shit, fight them by not listening at all and surrounding yourself with real creativity and talent. They win whether you buy their swill or not, its the message that you're being suckered into.

Initiate

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 11:30 pm » by 1ofakind

A while back when I had watched a great movie or had some fantastic music to listen to it would usually get passed from friend to friend to watch or listen to. I would never had considered that I was stealing because my friend had given me the next big blockbuster to watch on dvd. It is sharing to me. If you watched a movie your friend had lent you and you really enjoyed it then you will go and buy a copy of it yourself. The internet has given us a great way to share things and now people moan about it, come on people, all the videos that are posted on here have come from somewhere else. Is that stealing or sharing to you.

Initiate

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 11:34 pm » by Mahsooyee

Theft is theft...piracy is piracy! To seek a profit at the expense of others (the artist) is not right at all. Even though corporate empires exploit the artists it is the end result of a contract nonetheless which the individual has the right to refuse to sign or at least make attempts at bargaining for better percentages or seek to become independent. But the issue remains stealing someone's work and resell it to put $$ in your pocket or to cutoff the hard work of another preventing them from reaping a return on said work.
But I do not think piracy will stop unless there is some airtight safeguards in place which have not been created but it will always be within the realm of the hacker as long as we function in a digital world!!

Conspirator

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 11:42 pm » by E6722maj

them's the breaks. deal, or squeal :alien:
whatever

Conspirator

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 11:44 pm » by Mozi!!a

1ofakind wrote:A while back when I had watched a great movie or had some fantastic music to listen to it would usually get passed from friend to friend to watch or listen to. I would never had considered that I was stealing because my friend had given me the next big blockbuster to watch on dvd. It is sharing to me. If you watched a movie your friend had lent you and you really enjoyed it then you will go and buy a copy of it yourself. The internet has given us a great way to share things and now people moan about it, come on people, all the videos that are posted on here have come from somewhere else. Is that stealing or sharing to you.

:flop: :flop: i learn english through movies and music. and i'm not ashamed of it. and if i didn't have this opportunity well bay bay dtv. love this plase learn so may thing here met so many pps here. you all ar awesome

and thanks for the top dj

Master Conspirator

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 11:54 pm » by Boondox681

artists need to and will adapt.2 examples.lil wayne and icp.they have 'leak' tapes online for free.they know their new album will be downloaded,not bought.their money is made in merchandise at their live shows.concerts and t-shirts,that's where they make their cash.
"Doing stuff is overrated.Like Hitler.He did a lot.But don't we all wish he woulda' just stayed home and gotten stoned?"

Writer

PostTue Mar 02, 2010 12:12 am » by Getlucky13

1ofakind wrote:A while back when I had watched a great movie or had some fantastic music to listen to it would usually get passed from friend to friend to watch or listen to. I would never had considered that I was stealing because my friend had given me the next big blockbuster to watch on dvd. It is sharing to me. If you watched a movie your friend had lent you and you really enjoyed it then you will go and buy a copy of it yourself. The internet has given us a great way to share things and now people moan about it, come on people, all the videos that are posted on here have come from somewhere else. Is that stealing or sharing to you.

I agree with what you're saying. Theres nothing wrong with SHARING something. It's never sharing thats a problem. When I release an ep, I want ever single person who can to hear it. Sharings the best way. HOWEVER. When one makes copies (aka downloads, burns, whatever) they're not sharing any more. They circumventing the only system some people have to make a living, so that they may get something for free. Again, this is only a certain circumstance. But these type of things need to be considered, ya know?

Along the lines of what boondox said, releasing things INTENTIONALLY free is a great marketing ploy and a big trend. Theres nothing wrong with that. But that's the artist choice to do that. You shouldn't take something from them, that would not have been there without them, without giving them something back, so that they can continue to give to you. There needs to be some sort of cycle; a harmony almost. It can't and shouldn't be a one way street. Maybe I'm just an idealist, but to me its philosophically too wrong, as well as the harm it does to honest musicians.

On the subject of ideals though. Ever find it funny, how many people come to this site to usurp the "corrupt powers" that run the world, and yet comprise their own ideals and beliefs simply for expediency? Today's world is not kind to the idealist and the philosophical anymore. As a people we've done a great job of massacring the true patriot, in a sense. Just food for thought.

PreviousNext