Matter of Torrents: Stealing or Sharing?

Master Conspirator

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 1:29 pm » by Drjones

Upload to Disclose.tv

Do you think 'they' will ever stop the 'pirates'.I think this is a matter of free will,i personally don't think the 'pirates' are impacting the movie/music business that much.Cinema sales are on the rise,dvd and blu ray sales are still going up,fox still pay it's 'stars' $20million + to 'perform' in a 90 minute movies...I also think if someone pays for a dvd or cd then you should be able to do whatever you want with it...I'm not so keen on all this videoing movies in the cinema though ;)

File sharing like one of the guy says is actually BENEFICIAL for everyone...if you DL a movie and like it you will buy the dvd or goto the cinema soley because of that knowing that you will not be wasting your money of which in this day and age we have little of.

Writer

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 2:04 pm » by Brothach

ok i didnt watch the video you posted...but i agree with your points. I see it as a try before you buy. If i dig the film(or song/album) I will buy the DVD or whatever...I dont see myself as ripping anyone off...if you suck I wont buy the ticket to your film. It's like giving enough of a shit to fly to France to see the Mona Lisa...or to go see Avatar in 3d instead of that old skool 2d shizzle...if you deserve my money I will give it to you. And I reserve the right to do so! everyone else seems to be able to reserve that right!
:sunny:
'Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe'
Einstein

Conspirator

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 2:20 pm » by Kingz

STEAL THIS FILM 1:

STEAL THIS FILM 2:
The Map Is Not The Territory, The Word Is Not The Object....

Master Conspirator

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 3:49 pm » by Lowsix

brothach wrote:ok i didnt watch the video you posted...but i agree with your points. I see it as a try before you buy. If i dig the film(or song/album) I will buy the DVD or whatever...I dont see myself as ripping anyone off...if you suck I wont buy the ticket to your film. It's like giving enough of a shit to fly to France to see the Mona Lisa...or to go see Avatar in 3d instead of that old skool 2d shizzle...if you deserve my money I will give it to you. And I reserve the right to do so! everyone else seems to be able to reserve that right!

I'll translate:

Im going to steal from you first, and THEN decide if you should be paid for your overhead, and profits.

The two main cases i see for legitimizing online pirateing is this one above:
(I rip you off first, and then maybe [wont] pay you for your time, effort, and dedication, and profits)

and:

Im going to rip off everyone that worked on bringing that product for my enjoyment, simply because somebody somewhere is making a million dollars...and its not me so fuck all.

Ok well, it USED to be an industry..now, well..its a free for all. Jobs that six years ago, paid $75 an hour are lucky to get $10.... There used to be good jobs in Music, packaging, printing, cd dupes, label and cover and design jobs, distribution jobs, recording engineering jobs..

So using these silly arguments to Justify what truly is essentially a crime, for the reasons always given, is EXACTLY like beating up and robbing an old lady for the REASON that shes vulnerable, rifling through her stuff, taking what you like and tossing the rest back to her (maybe, but likely not).

You sense of entitlement has beat up a TON of people..and of course in some cases, i have to grant that free distribution is often a great marketing tool...but there used to be someone getting paid to do it...now they arent, thanks to you.

So spin it anyway you want, there is a bottom line lurking underneath it, and to stand behind some banner of New World visionary freedom is really rather weak.

Take responsibility that due to this 'freedom campaign' or 'campaign against rich studio heads', there is a price that you have personally exacted upon someones (or a shitload of someones) life, career, plans..somone that wasnt screwing you over, just clocking into some job somewhere doing one of these things to bring you an art form of one sort or another,..and you kicked him in the face and imploded his home industry, because his boss is rich..and becuase its soooo damn easy to do it.. Sounds uglier that way somehow.

Personally, i dont see anything noble about the cause. It seems to me to reek of ALL of the things most of you project onto the nefarious "them" (whover they are) who are responsible (allegedly) for ruining everything on our planet, and to me, this is a perfect example of you advocating SPECIFICALLY for a policy of 'shit locally, destroy globally'.THE perfect example of greed becoming personified... exacting its toll...eating everything in its path, and then being mad that there isn't more.

and you dont even recognize the irony..
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Conspirator

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 4:21 pm » by Scoundrel1975

Stealing would have to be my answer i'm afraid but its nothing new really its been going on before pc's ie vhs tape to vhs tape and audio tape to audio tape, pc's and torrents have made it much more easier whith pretty much everything available at the touch of a button so its happening at a rate never before seen.
Downloads legal or not are worrying me for the future, will they completly stop making cd's and dvd's call me old fashioned but i like to experience the hole package (disc, artwork, literature booklet all wrapped cosy in its case as a collectable) i fear downloads will soon be our only source when buying our favourite music/movies

Talking of old fashioned i miss my music vinyls
"These are Scoundrel Days"

Writer

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 4:24 pm » by Brothach

thank you for the well thought out and eloquent translation. All good points...but my position remains firm.
I will go and spend the money if I think you deserve it, after a taste test. I will rent the latest release, knowing it's a great film that I would like to see in all its glory, and the special features are usually cool too.
Dont be a prat and come across all holier than thou...there are way bigger fish in the sea.
No personal offence intended of course...I just think this is way more demonised than it actually deserves to be.
Cheers
edit to add: remember the mix tape? not far from today's phenomenon
'Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe'
Einstein

Master Conspirator

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 4:30 pm » by Lowsix

brothach wrote:thank you for the well thought out and eloquent translation. All good points...but my position remains firm.
I will go and spend the money if I think you deserve it, after a taste test. I will rent the latest release, knowing it's a great film that I would like to see in all its glory, and the special features are usually cool too.
Dont be a prat and come across all holier than thou...there are way bigger fish in the sea.
No personal offence intended of course...I just think this is way more demonised than it actually deserves to be.
Cheers

It is underdemonised.

And its hardly a holier than thou issue..its an economic and copyright issue.
Its gets holier than thou by people who justify stealing by calling it something else, or being cute, one might even say.."more entitled than thou'... about the 'right to refuse payment'.

You dont get to eat food, then decide if youre paying for it.

You dont let strangers just take shit from you....

Cant go in somewhere and take their merchandise and tell them, that you'll pay for it, "if you think they desever it"..thats called theft, and even for cheaper items, there are legal consequences.

Its not an emotional position,
its a factual one.

justifying it, is dishonest and
semantically tasteless.
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Conspirator

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 4:49 pm » by Kingz

Sorry to say... but we all take part in it somehow, we probably wouldn't even been on this particular sites while most video's that don't come from youtube are directly from torrents!

And all this information would never...... NEVER reach somany people that it does today!
It will never be under control, just like you had people copying cd's, vhs tapes and what have you not...

PIRACY WILL NEVER VANISH :nwo:

The Map Is Not The Territory, The Word Is Not The Object....

Conspirator

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 5:53 pm » by Svaha

I bought singles, lp's, cassettes, minidisks, and some 800 music cd's, then I stopped because the price had risen to about 50 euros.
When I buy a hard disk, a writable cd/dvd, part of the price goes to the industry.
The creator of the music gets peanuts, the industry gets the bigger part.
It is the same bubble you can find in the stock market, food market .....
I think this is one of the main reasons for the rise of torrent sites / piracy.
Maybe piracy is criminal, the same goes for the so called legal 'industry'.
Follow your bliss(ters) - Joseph Campbell

Conspirator

PostMon Mar 01, 2010 6:05 pm » by Thesaint

As I'm logged on and short of time I am just answering the question with no thoughts to the mechanics of the system but in full knowledge that if this was the case then we would soon not have a recognisible product (as we know it) in the first place.

Once purchased, I should be able to share what I want with whoever I want and whenever I want. If i buy a brush then I can lend it out and if someone copies it so that they don't have to go out and buy it, then it's their choice.

Simplistic view I know. But that's life I'm afraid.

:cheers:

Next