Meditation for stress and anxiety

Initiate

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 3:13 am » by Hr2burn

Dom, I'm with you brother. I have tried everything including meds and nothing is a good fix. I can only speak for myself but 2 things that at least bring me down when I am particularly high in anxiety is 1) working in my garage. Not just anything, it's cutting steel with a plasma cutter, grinding and welding. The focus it takes because of all the risks if you're not completely in check are huge. 2) Taking the guns to the shooting range is very similar. In both cases it's loud and dangerous, it will center you real quick! I would like the more I do it to have longer and longer lasting effects, that unfortunately isn't the case. If you find something that works, by all means, let me know!
Now I'm nothing...

Super Moderator

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 3:19 am » by domdabears

Hr2burn wrote:Dom, I'm with you brother. I have tried everything including meds and nothing is a good fix. I can only speak for myself but 2 things that at least bring me down when I am particularly high in anxiety is 1) working in my garage. Not just anything, it's cutting steel with a plasma cutter, grinding and welding. The focus it takes because of all the risks if you're not completely in check are huge. 2) Taking the guns to the shooting range is very similar. In both cases it's loud and dangerous, it will center you real quick! I would like the more I do it to have longer and longer lasting effects, that unfortunately isn't the case. If you find something that works, by all means, let me know!

I agree, doing stuff you love helps a lot. I haven't been to the range in a long time. My gun has just been sitting in my drawer. I need to get out there soon.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Super Moderator

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 4:11 pm » by Spock

Dom -

What sort of tests did you take to determine your thyroid is screwed? I've more than met my deductible for the year so I may as well get mine checked as well.

Conspirator

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 4:37 pm » by Tuor10

Dom Da Bears wrote:Anyone here meditate? Anyone here mediate to reduce stress and anxiety? How do you meditate?

Does it work? How does it work? Does the room have to be silent? Can you do it laying down?

I'm asking, because I have anxiety disorder. It's been getting worse the past few years. I don't know why. I don't take medicine for it. I don't wanna take medicine for it. I try to keep everything natural. I don't wanna feel like a zombie from the medicine.

I've tried a lot of stuff. Kava Kava, st. john's wort, B vitamins, breathing techniques, and I'm now seeing a counselor for it.

Dom, I too have the same problem. I get panic attacks and suffer from anxiety. I am not sure what has caused it. I get attacks over simple things, like if I can't contact my wife by phone, when she is out with my young daughter. I start to think something has happened to them; and then I have the attack.

I have started to run a lot. That helps me. I think it has something to do with the chemical reaction that occurs when someone is exercising. I was also given a CD that teaches breathing techniques, by the councillor I am speaking too.

Mate, it is like a battle in your head. I used to try and avoid situations. Like If I got a last letter from the council about my rent. Instead of trying to sort it, I left it, as it was the coping mechanism that I was using; for the feeling that you get when in a state of panic or anxiety is horrible. There is nothing like it. It renders me useless.

One thing not to do is to feel embarrassed. I felt embarrassed - weak; but it can happen to anyone. I feel the trigger for my episodes was an incident involving my daughter, where she nearly died. I was distraught for weeks, even though she was fine. All the what if's. I had terrible dreams for months afterwards; and still occasionally get them now.

Another interesting facet to this is the fact that we, the people of DTV, are different than most people; for most of us have a different perception of reality, or the state of reality. I have a deep, almost obsessive, notion that something happened to me when I was young, involving strange forces. I don't want to elaborate on that; suffice to say that even as a young boy, nothing ever felt right. The world never felt right. Sure, I grew up like a normal teenager; I shagged everything that moved - was fighting almost every weekend down the Old Kent road, which is a right of passage for most lads from SE London; but still, the feeling remained. I still feel like it now. I am in my early 30's. I have a family - a half decent job; but still, things just don't sit right.
I mentioned it to the councillor I am speaking too. She claimed to have heard such things said before.

Anyway, sorry to digress.

My advice to you would be to occupy your mind and body. Tire it out; and the best way to do that is with physical exercise. Even read a good book - anything that eases the triggers.

All the best mate; and for what it is worth, I am always up for a chat on this subject, as talking - writing via the internet in our case, can help.

Conspirator

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 4:42 pm » by Icarus1

get yourself an indian head massage bro and let that stress go
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

Conspirator

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 8:59 pm » by Zer0

Dom Da Bears wrote:
Otoel wrote:LOL @ op.. I use Kava Kava to simulate the feeling of drunkness... herein lies the secret, you wont get rid of your "problems" until you meditate about what got you into them in the first place, dont worry u dont have to tell us personal shit... but I will say this, you dont have to forget, but u gotta forgive, and also.. you live in the fucking Dark Womb .. what the fuck do you expect? You cant trust anyone, not you mother, your father, your brothers... fuck not even yourself, so get over it you fucking emo, you came to this environment to suffer.. aint no amount of medicine that is going to fix the nature of your World.

Emo? No, I'm not depressed.

Oh? Then just frantically masturbate to Selena Gomez. fucks ur problem mang....
Master Raphael wrote:what you call the law of attraction was missing a vital aspect to the theory that I call the law of repulsion ...it is clear I drove the two of you together...using my repulsion not attraction

Super Moderator

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 9:05 pm » by domdabears

Spock wrote:Dom -

What sort of tests did you take to determine your thyroid is screwed? I've more than met my deductible for the year so I may as well get mine checked as well.

The first one, I just got a normal blood test. My doctor told me my TSH level was low. He sent me back in yesterday to get my TSH re-tested, and to test Free T4. He's supposed to call me back soon with the results.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Super Moderator

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 9:11 pm » by domdabears

Tuor10 wrote:
Dom Da Bears wrote:Anyone here meditate? Anyone here mediate to reduce stress and anxiety? How do you meditate?

Does it work? How does it work? Does the room have to be silent? Can you do it laying down?

I'm asking, because I have anxiety disorder. It's been getting worse the past few years. I don't know why. I don't take medicine for it. I don't wanna take medicine for it. I try to keep everything natural. I don't wanna feel like a zombie from the medicine.

I've tried a lot of stuff. Kava Kava, st. john's wort, B vitamins, breathing techniques, and I'm now seeing a counselor for it.

Dom, I too have the same problem. I get panic attacks and suffer from anxiety. I am not sure what has caused it. I get attacks over simple things, like if I can't contact my wife by phone, when she is out with my young daughter. I start to think something has happened to them; and then I have the attack.

I have started to run a lot. That helps me. I think it has something to do with the chemical reaction that occurs when someone is exercising. I was also given a CD that teaches breathing techniques, by the councillor I am speaking too.

Mate, it is like a battle in your head. I used to try and avoid situations. Like If I got a last letter from the council about my rent. Instead of trying to sort it, I left it, as it was the coping mechanism that I was using; for the feeling that you get when in a state of panic or anxiety is horrible. There is nothing like it. It renders me useless.

One thing not to do is to feel embarrassed. I felt embarrassed - weak; but it can happen to anyone. I feel the trigger for my episodes was an incident involving my daughter, where she nearly died. I was distraught for weeks, even though she was fine. All the what if's. I had terrible dreams for months afterwards; and still occasionally get them now.

Another interesting facet to this is the fact that we, the people of DTV, are different than most people; for most of us have a different perception of reality, or the state of reality. I have a deep, almost obsessive, notion that something happened to me when I was young, involving strange forces. I don't want to elaborate on that; suffice to say that even as a young boy, nothing ever felt right. The world never felt right. Sure, I grew up like a normal teenager; I shagged everything that moved - was fighting almost every weekend down the Old Kent road, which is a right of passage for most lads from SE London; but still, the feeling remained. I still feel like it now. I am in my early 30's. I have a family - a half decent job; but still, things just don't sit right.
I mentioned it to the councillor I am speaking too. She claimed to have heard such things said before.

Anyway, sorry to digress.

My advice to you would be to occupy your mind and body. Tire it out; and the best way to do that is with physical exercise. Even read a good book - anything that eases the triggers.

All the best mate; and for what it is worth, I am always up for a chat on this subject, as talking - writing via the internet in our case, can help.

Yeah, I'm the exact same way. Mine can happen anytime. I can just be sitting here watching tv, and it can happen.

I'm hoping that we figured out why this is happening with this thyroid thing I just found out about. I'll find out more tomorrow.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Conspirator

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 9:51 pm » by Seriouscitizen

Hey Dom,. I am not a fan of medication too. Therefore i researched this for you.
I know trough my times in counselation and mindfullness pratice that the body is connected to our mental state, or state of being. Whatever you want to call it.

The Thyroid Gland is connected to the 5th Chakra. Maybe this is of any help besides your doctors advise Its a long read but i think it has some good info about supression of the ability to communicate and its effect on the thyroid gland:
---------------------------------------------------

An overactive thyroid, or hyperthyroid ism, is caused by an overproduction of thyroid hormones, often a result of an autoimmune system disorder known as Graves' disease. Symptoms of hyperthyroidism can include weight loss despite increased food intake; a tendency to feel warm when others are comfortable; irritability; heart palpitations; breathlessness; trembling hands; muscle weakness, especially in the thighs; increased, and often runny, bowel movements; irregular menstruation; itchy skin, thinning hair, brittle nails; watery, irritated, bulging eyes with dark bags underneath; and goiter.

Hypothyroidism, or underactive thyroid, occurs when the thyroid gland does not produce enough hormones. Symptoms can include weight gain; sensitivity to cold; fatigue, depression, and paranoia; slurred speech with a slow, husky voice; slowed heart rate; constipation; puffy eyes; heavy menstrual periods; high cholesterol; dry skin and hair; tingling of the nerves in the fingers; and inner‑ear problems.

According to Anodea Judith in Eastern Body, Western Mind, the central issue of the throat chakra is communication. Therefore, if one's self‑expression becomes out‑of‑balance, thyroid problems can result. Anodea lists many factors that may contribute to unbalanced self‑expression; for example, she mentions that even noise pollution in our immediate environment can dull our sensitivity to the truth within us. For if we are unable to "hear" our inner truth, how can we express that truth? Additionally she lists several home environments destructive to the developing child's fifth‑chakra health: environments that stifle creativity such as a family with overly protective parents; environments that foster guilt and shame such as a home with a critical parent; environments that burden children with secrets to keep or taboo topics such as in families of incest or physical abuse in which children are threatened not to divulge the atrocities; environments with inconsistencies, lies, or mixed messages; fearful environments such as a quarrelsome home; and because children learn by being conversed with, environments of neglect.

Yoga for Fifth Chakra Health According to Anodea Judith, because the neck, where the fifth chakra is located, provides a narrow passageway for conducting energy between the mind and the heart, it is prone to muscular tightness. Therefore, before working with the fifth chakra, it helps to loosen surrounding muscles by doing neck rolls or neck stretches. When practicing the stretches remember to exaggerate and slow the gestures to gently stretch and loosen muscles.

Begin by finding a comfortable seat, perhaps crossing the legs and sitting in sukhasana. I like to sit on a blanket or two because my hamstring muscles often feel tight, and the added height the blankets provide help me maintain the healthy natural curve in my lower back. Next, I bring my awareness to my breath: When inhaling I like to lengthen my spine, visualizing being pulled up by a string attached to the crown of my head. When exhaling I focus on relaxing my shoulders‑this helps counter the tendency for one to hunch up one's shoulders when practicing neck stretches. Also when exhaling I like to focus on softening my eyes and the muscles of my face. As my spine lengthens and my body and mind relax, I begin practicing the neck stretches. The three movements of the neck are called yes, no and maybe. The first one is dropping the chin toward the chest and then lifting the chin (yes); the second movement is keeping the chin level and turning the head side to side so the chin moves toward the shoulder (no); the third movement is dropping the ear side to side toward the shoulder (maybe). The neck stretches can also be practiced lying down on one's back. Lying down provides a more effective posture for side‑to‑side neck stretches because the neck is better able to relax when the floor does the work of supporting the neck. Some other yoga poses that may be beneficial for your thyroid are: Head lift, roaring lion's pose, bridge pose, shoulderstand, fish pose. (see the website for the longer version of this paper and details on how to do these poses).

In general, practicing proper postural alignment (especially at the fifth chakra) and working with yoga postures that direct energy to the throat will naturally help organs associated with the fifth chakra including the thyroid gland.

Chanting provides another means of balancing the fifth chakra. The throat serves as a conduit between the physical, or lower chakras, and the higher conscious, or upper chakras. Anodea Judith states in Eastern Body, Western Mind that with chanting "our individuated consciousness expands to merge with the greater consciousness and rhythm of life." Furthermore, chanting the seed sound, or bija mantra, associated with a chakra is known to help balance the particular chakra, and the bija mantra for the fifth chakra is "ham." (pronounced hum). Also, pranayama, or breathing exercises, particularly ujjayi (victorious) breathing help to tone the thyroid and parathyroid glands. Brehmari hum (bee‑humming breath) and sitali (curled tongue breath) breathing are also known to help balance the fifth chakra.

When working with healing disease, it helps to be aware of all available therapies. Therapies from traditional medicine and from holistic health fields can be equally valid at different times depending on the situation. However, I believe that in general we who live in modern western cultures tend to rely on traditional medicine too much for quick and easy "cures." I am especially grateful for the healing benefits of yoga, which I believe has helped my thyroid gland function

Conspirator

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 10:02 pm » by Newearthman

I'm too stressed out to meditate...Have you ever heard that one before? I use it all the time. :D

PreviousNext