Meditation for stress and anxiety

Conspirator
Location: 'Happiness is the angle at which the wise are gathered'

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 11:56 pm » by SamueltheLion

yeah i meditate 4 stress, or should i say against it?

well whatever, basically, silence your mind, don't resist your thoughts, enter the now, get into a pose with a straight back, become the breath, do whatever feels right...

think of meditating as increasing the bandwidth with which you perceive life.

there's some films i've linked around the place, and i'll link them here again because they're good.

Upload to Disclose.tv

also, here are some excellent excerpts from books on meditation, spirituality and understanding the chakra system... (kundalini yoga and meditation used to be... somewhat secretive practices, for achieving higher states of consciousness (read: evolution), now they are more well known but still not to the point they could be: the point at which the planet becomes free)

meditation is about expanding your awareness... to the full heights and depths of what and who you are.

http://www.biologyofkundalini.com/ (yes, this is real)

http://www.kundaliniawakeningsystems1.c ... loads.html

http://www.kundaliniawakeningsystems1.com/downloads/chakras_(easternbody).pdf
eastern body western mind, a great book, breaking down eastern mystical philosophy and uniting it with western psychology

http://www.kundaliniawakeningsystems1.com/downloads/yoga-kundalini-upanishad_(26pg).pdf
kundalini yoga as mentioned in the upanishads (indian vedas/holy texts)

here's some lessons on the 1st chakra:

actual yoga & a good break down of some concepts, do this & learn to cope with whatever's bothering you: as the saying goes: Insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results, and "you cannot solve a problem with the same level of consciousness that created it"; raise yourself.

Upload to Disclose.tv

cause... you know how you wanted to grow up faster when you were still a child?
and now you don't really know why anymore? this is why: Take your power back, activate your full potential, raise your energy, stop wasting time ! :)

(yes i talk to myself a lot)

---

affirmations, new perspectives, suggestions of things to do: gardenning, knitting, washing dishes, reconnecting with family, getting stable work times, etc etc

Upload to Disclose.tv

Your faith will make you whole

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 12:09 am » by 99socks

I think there is a certain "danger" in recommending "new-age" (broad definition) techniques for "curing" what appears to me mental illnesses. We have a problem already in our culture of extreme judgement and lack of empathy for people in general, and it only increases the pressure of our "individual-focused" society to use self-responsibility (or apparent lack thereof) as an excuse to continue to judge people and isolate them. The entire philosophy of "it's all in your head" is one of the most dangerous fallacies around IMO. The more someone with a supposed "mental illness" tries to be responsible for their own problems, the more momentum they gain in the downward spiral; the stress, failure, and guilt that results from "not doing it right/not doing enough" just makes the problem worse in most cases, and gives reason for others to distance themselves and their help on the attitude that "s/he can't get it together." The FACT is, most of what we would consider "mental illnesses" are really biological in nature, and the FACT is, no amount of "happy thoughts" and meditation alone is going to cure copper toxicity or thyroid problems or autoimmune disorders or whatever else is creating the chemical imbalances in someone's brain in the first place.
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/obamas-doj-silent-as-new-black-panthers-leader-incites-violence-in-ferguson_082014

I can't speak about how much of the Constitution is in effect anymore... But thank God we still somewhat resemble a Republic and not a democracy!

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 12:28 am » by Seriouscitizen

99socks wrote:I think there is a certain "danger" in recommending "new-age" (broad definition) techniques for "curing" what appears to me mental illnesses. We have a problem already in our culture of extreme judgement and lack of empathy for people in general, and it only increases the pressure of our "individual-focused" society to use self-responsibility (or apparent lack thereof) as an excuse to continue to judge people and isolate them. The entire philosophy of "it's all in your head" is one of the most dangerous fallacies around IMO. The more someone with a supposed "mental illness" tries to be responsible for their own problems, the more momentum they gain in the downward spiral; the stress, failure, and guilt that results from "not doing it right/not doing enough" just makes the problem worse in most cases, and gives reason for others to distance themselves and their help on the attitude that "s/he can't get it together." The FACT is, most of what we would consider "mental illnesses" are really biological in nature, and the FACT is, no amount of "happy thoughts" and meditation alone is going to cure copper toxicity or thyroid problems or autoimmune disorders or whatever else is creating the chemical imbalances in someone's brain in the first place.

That's the reason a "proffesional" therapist would always say that you can't cure a mentall illness yourself because of the blind spots. Like in the intruduction to psychology in university the first thing they tell you is not to use what you learn on yourself.

On the other hand "spirituality" and particulair in Mindfullness are recommended in main stream therapy.

This is not the best source but yet a very recent article i just came across :
--------------------------------------------

(CNN) -- Anyone who sees meditation as a hippy-dippy endeavor has found his or her view increasingly challenged by science in recent years.

Meditation and other contemplative practices are continuing to claim their place at the table of mainstream medicine.

This is true for a slew of reasons: chief among them, the recognition that hordes of us are stressed out, that stress wreaks havoc upon our bodies and that the practice of meditation has significant and measurable stress-reduction properties.

In a recent study led by J. David Creswell, assistant professor of psychology at Carnegie Mellon's Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences, mindfulness-based meditation continues to reveal itself as a therapeutic powerhouse, with far-reaching influence on both psychological and physical health.

The study, published in the journal Brain, Behavior and Immunity, extends the benefits of mindfulness-based meditation into previously uncharted territories: helping to reduce loneliness and the risk of disease in older adults.

Mindfulness as a concept is an ancient Eastern practice and is key to meditation in that tradition. It means being present and in the moment, and observing in a nonjudgmental way.

Seeking serenity: When lawyers go Zen

Seniors' loneliness is a major risk factor for illness and death, on par with smoking, Creswell says.

But while there's a good chance that your doctor will advise you to stop smoking, it is quite unlikely that she will ask you whether you feel lonely and tell you to stop feeling that way. (And what if she did?)

"It's a big problem," Creswell observed. "Lots of researchers have tried to find ways, like social networks created through community centers, to reduce loneliness in older adults, but none of the approaches really works well."
Amanda Enayati
Amanda Enayati

Creswell's study proves that meditation may be a formidable strategy for addressing loneliness.

Researchers recruited 40 healthy adults between the ages of 55 and 85 who showed an interest in learning mindfulness-based mediation techniques.

Each of the study participants completed a questionnaire assessing his or her loneliness. They also provided blood samples, which revealed that a greater sense of loneliness was associated with up-regulated expression of pro-inflammatory genes (or greater inflammation in the body).

The study participants were assigned randomly to one of two groups. The first group took part in an eight-week mindfulness-based stress-reduction program that included two-hour skill training sessions each week, daily 30-minute meditation exercises at home and a day-long retreat. The control group received no treatment.

The researchers found that participating in the meditation program reduced the older adults' perceptions of loneliness compared with those of members of the control group, who experienced small increases in loneliness.

There is evidence to suggest that the effect was, in fact, attributable to the meditation practice and not to the fellowship afforded by being part of a research study group or going on a retreat.
.... and so on... http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/25/healt ... hpt=he_bn2
--------------------------------------------

So meditation could help! But it can never be the ONLY solution to all your problems its like an extra shoulder to lean on. As much as only medicine or psychologist have one part of the whole problem too.
In the end its a journey in wich people can not be put in categories where only 1 way is the sollution to my opinion.

Super Moderator

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 12:32 am » by domdabears

99socks wrote:I think there is a certain "danger" in recommending "new-age" (broad definition) techniques for "curing" what appears to me mental illnesses. We have a problem already in our culture of extreme judgement and lack of empathy for people in general, and it only increases the pressure of our "individual-focused" society to use self-responsibility (or apparent lack thereof) as an excuse to continue to judge people and isolate them. The entire philosophy of "it's all in your head" is one of the most dangerous fallacies around IMO. The more someone with a supposed "mental illness" tries to be responsible for their own problems, the more momentum they gain in the downward spiral; the stress, failure, and guilt that results from "not doing it right/not doing enough" just makes the problem worse in most cases, and gives reason for others to distance themselves and their help on the attitude that "s/he can't get it together." The FACT is, most of what we would consider "mental illnesses" are really biological in nature, and the FACT is, no amount of "happy thoughts" and meditation alone is going to cure copper toxicity or thyroid problems or autoimmune disorders or whatever else is creating the chemical imbalances in someone's brain in the first place.

If I do have this thyroid problem, obviously I won't be treating it with meditation. I have a choice between western and eastern medicine. I haven't gotten to that bridge yet. I'll find out more tomorrow.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Initiate

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 12:59 am » by Hr2burn

Hey 99, errrr.....socks? Not to high jack the thread as its still on topic, but you said something about auto immune disorder causing chemical imbalances? Is that real? I mean I take the retail equivalent to $7000 a month in drugs that calm my raging auto immune system and that would be interesting to know and look into.
Now I'm nothing...

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 1:08 am » by Noentry

Meditation Techniques for Anxiety & Stress

Upload to Disclose.tv

The idea of meditation is to look within.
The symptoms of anxiety are brought about by unresolved issues.
The thyroid problem you speak of is another symptom of the underlining problem.
Meditation may help you find the cause of your anxiety, but you could also go speak to some one. A professional psychologist.
Get it all of your chest, this is also a good way of understanding what is behind your anxiety Dom.
As we know stress is 80% of all illness.
You know yourself and your life better then anyone else in existence.
Look inside be honest with yourself and you will find the cure, Peace of mind.

Get well soon bro
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Conspirator
Location: 'Happiness is the angle at which the wise are gathered'

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 1:28 am » by SamueltheLion

i take it you didn't read my reply, the links or look into the films.

it's too easy to call it new age and dismiss it, it really is-
especially as when you do balance yourself out, you automatically start eating well, and curing the sources of illness, because you expand your awareness, so actually, you are quite wrong, meditation helps. it does not hurt.

let me guess, you don't meditate?

again: meditation helps
Both directly and indirectly, and it definitely will help cure your illness, either by showing you what is causing it, or by accelerating healing. the body is capable of amazing things, if you have not experienced these things, you are simply not qualified to speak on them.

if you actually look into the trouble areas of each chakra, and the correspondences to frequencies, metals, plants, lights and so on, you begin to see how your illness is related to your incorrect mental picture of life, for instance, your right to determine things for yourself and be your own power house has to do with the solar plexus.

the kundalini power is a documented effect, and doctors who aren't shy of actually speaking out against the mainstream nonsense which prescribes drugs (ritalin/xanax/whatever) for things that can be cured by diet, exercise and so on, have also taken note of it...

http://www.biologyofkunalini.com

you build up another case of "don't do this" and then offer no opposite and actual solution, or do you?
am i missing it socks? detoxifying? yes. Yoga and Meditation actually aid in the detoxification, as well as breath work, which are about as new age as the pyramids, which is: Not at all.

one way in which i do really agree about the new age problems: chem trail spraying, fluoride, aspartame, gmo food which affects and blocks / stops our soul from coming through.

Heavy metals from the chem trails filter down into people and causes morgellons etc,

well, here's some pretty pictures. if you look at the problem from all angles you can't help but find the solution, refusing to look at it from all angles is just you blocking your own way.

foot reflexology, how much care do we give our body?

this is another way to detox... oh but wait, this was supposed to be about meditation,
umm, well, it is, in so far as, when you intensely meditate, sometimes you naturally sweat out toxins.

many illnesses are simply caused by over acidification, neutralize your Ph and watch them vanish.

as for "it's all in your head", yeah, mind over matter works, modern medicine can't ignore it, they just gave it the most unromantic condescending term they could think of: the placebo effect.

when really it should be called the power of belief.

see the biology of belief, the intention experiment.

not meant as a personal attack i might add, and yes, you are right about our society being judgemental and unempathic, but in your reply you do not seem to notice that, if and when we do exercise together, and engage in spiritual practices, of whatever kind (making music together, dance, meditation... dialogue)
we cure it... we cure this social plague, and a lot of illnesses that go with it.

nothing will ever remove the element of choice... that is the real key to health.
environmental factors, history, misfortune, they're in the past, what matters IS the head stuff; what you do NOW.

Upload to Disclose.tv

get well soon Dom Da Bears
Last edited by SamueltheLion on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Your faith will make you whole

Super Moderator

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 1:31 am » by domdabears

Hr2burn wrote:

Hey 99, errrr.....socks? Not to high jack the thread as its still on topic, but you said something about auto immune disorder causing chemical imbalances? Is that real? I mean I take the retail equivalent to $7000 a month in drugs that calm my raging auto immune system and that would be interesting to know and look into.

I don't know about chemical imbalance, but auto immune disorder causes thyroid problems which causes the anxiety, nervousness, and so on. Or the other way around. I was just reading on that.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Master Conspirator

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 1:50 am » by Lowsix

Samuelthemule wrote:

i take it you didn't read my reply, the links or look into the films.

it's too easy to call it new age and dismiss it, it really is-
especially as when you do balance yourself out, you automatically start eating well, and curing the sources of illness, because you expand your awareness, so actually, you are quite wrong, meditation helps. it does not hurt.

let me guess, you don't meditate?

again: meditation helps
Both directly and indirectly, and it definitely will help cure your illness, either by showing you what is causing it, or by accelerating healing. the body is capable of amazing things, if you have not experienced these things, you are simply not qualified to speak on them.

if you actually look into the trouble areas of each chakra, and the correspondences to frequencies, metals, plants, lights and so on, you begin to see how your illness is related to your incorrect mental picture of life, for instance, your right to determine things for yourself and be your own power house has to do with the solar plexus.

the kundalini power is a documented effect, and doctors who aren't shy of actually speaking out against the mainstream nonsense which prescribes drugs (ritalin/xanax/whatever) for things that can be cured by diet, exercise and so on, have also taken note of it...

http://www.biologyofkunalini.com

you build up another case of "don't do this" and then offer no opposite and actual solution, or do you?
am i missing it socks? detoxifying? yes. Yoga and Meditation actually aid in the detoxification, as well as breath work, which are about as new age as the pyramids, which is: Not at all.

well, here's some pretty pictures. if you look at the problem from all angles you can't help but find the solution, refusing to look at it from all angles is just you blocking your own way.

foot reflexology, how much care do we give our body?

this is another way to detox... oh but wait, this was supposed to be about meditation,
umm, well, it is, in so far as, when you intensely meditate, sometimes you naturally sweat out toxins.

many illnesses are simply caused by over acidification, neutralize your Ph and watch them vanish.

as for "it's all in your head", yeah, mind over matter works, modern medicine can't ignore it, they just gave it the most unromantic condescending term they could think of: the placebo effect.

when really it should be called the power of belief.

see the biology of belief, the intention experiment.

not meant as a personal attack i might add, and yes, you are right about our society being judgemental and unempathic, but in your reply you do not seem to notice that, if and when we do exercise together, and engage in spiritual practices, of whatever kind (making music together, dance, meditation... dialogue)
we cure it... we cure this social plague, and a lot of illnesses that go with it.

nothing will ever remove the element of choice... that is the real key to health.
environmental factors, history, misfortune, they're in the past, what matters IS the head stuff; what you do NOW.

You are one patronizing little shit, dude...

Your shadow shows itself in almost every reply you direct at anyone
you dont think is drinking your Koolaid and singing along while sighing into the webcam.
(when half the time, they arent addressing you directly anyhow.)

Your ID is charging around here like a bull in a china shop.

Perhaps you didnt read her reply..or perhaps have inflated yourself and portions of YOUR new-age nonsense to such heights of importance as to NOT be able to comprehend the real truth in what she has said. I dont recall her directing ANY of that TO you.

However..you have planted yourself firmly in the path of a valid criticism.

What she did was called..PARTICIPATION with additional points of view.

And why the passive aggressive bullshit, man?
Dont attack someone with that smarmy shit,
and then pretend you aren't doing it.

its nauseating.

In light of all your sunshine, rainbows and unicorns..
you come off like a complete hypocrite.

ie..did you KNOW that some medical conditions CANT be meditated away, and that no, in fact you will NOT always automatically start eating the right foods and balancing your vitamin deficiencies just because you excercise and sing with the other puffballs in the Ashram?, and that SOMETIMES, ..just SOMETIMES, your jumping, gleeful dolphin approach is not quite enough to address the biological problems underlying some of humanities' conditions?

Its true.

oh, and ps, this wasnt a personal attack..
just pointing out the obvious.

Just post your replies WITHOUT that condescending, faux superiority...its tired.

And i do think she thinks youre a pretty ok guy..I think lots of people do.
so please dont take my utter disgust for much of HOW (not what) you write... for hers.
I am NOT speaking for her in any way whatsoever.
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Super Moderator

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 2:15 am » by Spock

I tend to think that people who believe meditations and new age mantras can cure anxiety disorder have never suffered panic attacks on an ongoing basis.

Those things will not work. For me, I'm not sure what it is, and no doctor has ever been able to cure them, they come in stages in life, then go away, then pop back up.

I plan on getting my thyroid checked as well, that idea offers some hope. I still feel like it is something chemical, some sort of overload. Although, I have noticed that bright lights, strobing, and chaotic colors (such as being in a video store with fluorescent lights and lots of colored boxes on the wall) tend to trigger them. Peripheral shadows can do it too, such as the visual rhythm of the dotted line in the middle of the road.

It was suggested to check for temporal lobe epilepsy too, but I never did.

PreviousNext