Minimalism WE THE TINY HOUSE PEOPLE (DOCUMENTARY)

Initiate

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 4:11 pm » by Ishumble

Great documentary wish I would have seen this 3 .5yrs ago. Dutchsense posted in video wanted to post in forum. I am a minimalist, always have been got trapped in the American nightmare,and built a big ole house on a big piece of land,what a waste. I will downsize significantly in about 6yrs when last kid leaves the house.

Upload to Disclose.tv

Conspirator

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 10:43 pm » by Seriouscitizen

:flop:

Initiate

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 11:47 pm » by 420milehigh

I agree with being a minimalist but this is agenda 21 crap.... the best thing to do is become as symbiotic as possible with the earth, grow your own food, learn to forage, learn to hunt, collect rain water, don't throw anything away (compost or recycle, if it can't be composted or reused then don't use it)... learn how to grow cover crops and naturally fertilize your soil, you can do SOOOO many more things than moving into a tiny house... all the land you open up by "minimalizing" will be eaten up by corporations or rich people... :peep:

Conspirator

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 12:28 am » by Seriouscitizen

420milehigh wrote:I agree with being a minimalist but this is agenda 21 crap.... the best thing to do is become as symbiotic as possible with the earth, grow your own food, learn to forage, learn to hunt, collect rain water, don't throw anything away (compost or recycle, if it can't be composted or reused then don't use it)... learn how to grow cover crops and naturally fertilize your soil, you can do SOOOO many more things than moving into a tiny house... all the land you open up by "minimalizing" will be eaten up by corporations or rich people... :peep:

I dont think its about OR this, OR this. It could be AND, AND. I think the main thing they are saying in the documentairy is that too much 'material ownership' and monthly bills because of that limits your freedom; also i totally agree when they explain that the less you own and the less financial obligations you have the more clarity of mind you gain, cause lack of worries. Therefore trading a big house to a 'tiny' house and be as much as off grid as possible, could help be independent of the 'system'. Its a small part of the puzzle in my point of view. But doesnt apply to everyone ofcoarse or in any circumstance. Inspirational non the less.
I would like to live in a tree house. That would be totally awesome, with my own permaculture garden on my plot on ground deck, sweet.

Initiate

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 12:47 am » by 420milehigh

Seriouscitizen wrote:
420milehigh wrote:I agree with being a minimalist but this is agenda 21 crap.... the best thing to do is become as symbiotic as possible with the earth, grow your own food, learn to forage, learn to hunt, collect rain water, don't throw anything away (compost or recycle, if it can't be composted or reused then don't use it)... learn how to grow cover crops and naturally fertilize your soil, you can do SOOOO many more things than moving into a tiny house... all the land you open up by "minimalizing" will be eaten up by corporations or rich people... :peep:

I dont think its about OR this, OR this. It could be AND, AND. I think the main thing they are saying in the documentairy is that too much 'material ownership' and monthly bills because of that limits your freedom; also i totally agree when they explain that the less you own and the less financial obligations you have the more clarity of mind you gain, cause lack of worries. Therefore trading a big house to a 'tiny' house and be as much as off grid as possible, could help be independent of the 'system'. Its a small part of the puzzle in my point of view. But doesnt apply to everyone ofcoarse or in any circumstance. Inspirational non the less.
I would like to live in a tree house. That would be totally awesome, with my own permaculture garden on my plot on ground deck, sweet.

all those are good points, but just getting a small house and less bills isn't going to be NEARLY enough to help you if anything major happens (like hurricane sandy)... I would say you'd get more clarity from living in a rural location (big or small house) and tending to your own garden, this is WAY more helpful than just downsizing your house... If this gets people moving towards being more self sufficient then good, but I think most people will stop at downsizing their living space...

Conspirator

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 12:58 am » by Seriouscitizen

420milehigh wrote:
Seriouscitizen wrote:

all those are good points, but just getting a small house and less bills isn't going to be NEARLY enough to help you if anything major happens (like hurricane sandy)... I would say you'd get more clarity from living in a rural location (big or small house) and tending to your own garden, this is WAY more helpful than just downsizing your house... If this gets people moving towards being more self sufficient then good, but I think most people will stop at downsizing their living space...

Could be,. But i guess people need steps. Who knows what is next after they made that step. There is always change, as long as it is steps towards that picture you are describing i believe it could be a good thing.. :)
I can only truly KNOW from out my own experience and perspective. And I am a person that doesnt stop growing, learning and try new things. So i have to assume that other can be like that aswell. And i think its good there are some frontrunners to show the way in their particulair interest.
Their passion and joy inspires people to find theirs too. And besides survival, there is happiness. So whatever makes them happy. If that is a 100 square feet house, go for it. Not my choice but hey

Initiate

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 1:33 am » by 420milehigh

yeah I just am cynical about it, but who knows.... and happiness is important but survival is even more important because if you don't survive then you won't have happiness, I guess you could be really happy and get blindsided by a bus but wouldn't you rather somebody ruin your day and tackle you into a muddy and nasty puddle to save your life?

Conspirator

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 5:55 am » by Cia212

I've been following the tiny house movement for a while - not because I share the hippie sentiment, but because of the unique use of space some of these people develop. It's the same reason I like RVs, even though I have no use for one.

http://tinyhouseblog.com/