Moral dilemma? (down the oil rabbit-hole...)

Conspirator

PostWed May 12, 2010 9:28 pm » by Zegtelzegtel

cool story man..
if you think that it`s worth it I think you should go visit a lawyer (a fair one :flop: ) and look at the posibilities..

maybe there is a way to limit the damage...
that would be the best solution...

or

just sell it...and use some to buy some land in the Amazone..
I am sure you will spent your money better then those bastardz

Master Conspirator

PostWed May 12, 2010 9:53 pm » by Cornbread714

alwaysincontrol wrote:I'm a Landman in Texas down south and I can tell you from personal experience, sell it (make money), hold on to it for royalties or leases (make money), or take the best offer that comes along and make your money. Yes drilling does destroy the environment and the animals around any well or drilling pad for up to 100 acres if its properly contained. If you live or know someone who is living on that property I would think twice about letting a company come in and destroy the land especially if you/they have livestock on it.

The truth is regardless if you and the entire town want to protest that oil is coming out of the ground. In previous days we were only able to drill straight down to about 9000 feet. But with advances in drilling we can do directional drilling and start on one piece of property drilling under someone elses property to get to the oil and completely go around you or whom ever they choose. We can even drill straight down and make a 90 degree turn and drill past 10000 feet as they are now discovering that there is an ass ton of oil below the previous shales they have now emptied.

So to sum it up, hold out but not for too long. Eventually if they are interested in your property (for gas lines distribution or drilling) they will find you and make an offer. Some communities "pool" and everyone gets paid the same if it covers alot of areas but I've heard alot of people who did that and then the companies backed out last minute b/c it was too much money. All they really need is a few land owners to buy a lease from and start pumping. The average well can take up a space of about 50 to 100 acres.

VERY IMPORTANT: Go down to the county courthouse and make sure you have a deed with your name on it and an accurate metes and bounds description. If the oil/gas company sends me to the courthouse and your dad or whomever didnt file a probate or updated record to show you're the current landowner the oil company might write a check to the wrong person.

How many acres do you have?

Thanks for the info. A lot of what you mentioned I already know, but you make some interesting points.
We are talking about natural gas rather than oil and I don't know how much of the technological aspects you mention are applicable.

It's about 20 acres and it's on the edge of the play. New drilling has recently begun in that county (Sabine), but I think mostly oil, not gas, and from what I hear, some have leased at a pretty low rate, others are sitting on it.

I haven't been too worried about the legal aspects because my family has tacitly agreed to band together collectively, so I'm pretty sure my relatives who live there are keeping up and if there is any activity or concrete offers, I will hear about it.

I'm not really asking for personal advice except from a moral standpoint, but you have given me some useful knowledge, and further fodder for thought and debate, thanks. :flop:

It is pretty wild how they can get at your oil or gas whether you like it or not. If you don't sell at a price they like, they just find another way to get at it. That sucks.
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

jetxvii

PostWed May 12, 2010 9:56 pm » by jetxvii

do as the indians do, use it to do something good.

and what I mean by that is drill or take until you have enough money to do something good with it, like opening up a free enterprise research center and implementing free energy resources, that way you can give back what you borrowed from mother nature, be rich, and in the long run mother nature will thank you for it...

but money is more powerful than anyone can think of, once you have that vast amount of disposable cash it does things to your head that normally don't happen.

so I would recommend keeping it and not letting a damn person touch it.

Master Conspirator

PostWed May 12, 2010 10:03 pm » by Cornbread714

jetxvii wrote:so I would recommend keeping it and not letting a damn person touch it.

Not even Duck? :D
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Super Moderator

PostWed May 12, 2010 10:15 pm » by TheDuck

cornbread714 wrote:
jetxvii wrote:so I would recommend keeping it and not letting a damn person touch it.

I'de dig underground and make an immense underground grow room, normal vegetable's for a while, then ganja mwhahaha, just gotta bribe the neighbours with veg first ;)

"The Truth Cannot Be Told... It Must Be Realized"

Conspirator

PostWed May 12, 2010 11:05 pm » by Mushroom

theduck wrote:
cornbread714 wrote:

I'de dig underground and make an immense underground grow room, normal vegetable's for a while, then ganja mwhahaha, just gotta bribe the neighbours with veg first ;)

No need to go underground.. Go Luxeon :mrgreen:

Super Moderator

PostWed May 12, 2010 11:15 pm » by TheDuck

No need to go underground.. Go Luxeon

What's that do? block all?

I just like underground sh*t tbh, I'de love to live underground lol

I would change me name to: 'TheStonedMole' :D

Moles are cute, I'm fairly blind aswell.

"The Truth Cannot Be Told... It Must Be Realized"

Previous