More than 1,000 species discovered in Mekong: WWF

Super Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 6253
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:53 am

PostTue Dec 16, 2008 3:31 am » by Vulcanic


Found this in yahoo news it's a must read!! video at the bottom and yahoo link to story and more photos and video.

BANGKOK (AFP) – Scientists have discovered more than 1,000 species in Southeast Asia's Greater Mekong region in the past decade, including a spider as big as a dinner plate, the World Wildlife Fund said Monday.

A rat thought to have become extinct 11 million years ago and a cyanide-laced, shocking pink millipede were among creatures found in what the group called a "biological treasure trove".

The species were all found in the rainforests and wetlands along the Mekong River, which flows through Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam and the southern Chinese province of Yunnan.


"It doesn't get any better than this," Stuart Chapman, director of WWF's Greater Mekong Programme, was quoted as saying in a statement by the group.

"We thought discoveries of this scale were confined to the history books."

The WWF report, "First Contact in the Greater Mekong", said that "between 1997 and 2007, at least 1,068 have been officially described by science as being newly discovered species."

These included the world's largest huntsman spider, with a leg span of 30 centimetres (11.8 inches), and the "startlingly" coloured "dragon millipede", which produces the deadly compound cyanide.

Not all species were found hiding in remote jungles -- the Laotian rock rat, which the study said was thought to be extinct about 11 million years ago, was first encountered by scientists in a local food market in 2005, it said.

One species of pitviper was first noted by scientists after it was found in the rafters of a restaurant at the headquarters of Thailand's Khao Yai national park in 2001.

"This region is like what I read about as a child in the stories of Charles Darwin," said Dr Thomas Ziegler, curator at the Cologne Zoo, who was involved in the research.

"It is a great feeling being in an unexplored area and to document its biodiversity for the first time both enigmatic and beautiful," he said.

The new species highlighted in the report include 519 plants, 279 fish, 88 frogs, 88 spiders, 46 lizards, 22 snakes, 15 mammals, four birds, four turtles, two salamanders and a toad -- an average of two previously undiscovered species a week for the past 10 years.

The report warned, however, that many of the species could be at risk from development, and called for a cross-border agreement between the countries in the Greater Mekong area to protect it.

Last edited by Vulcanic on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

My YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPmp_ByJdC5zkBQQmCr7EUw


Upload to Disclose.tv


Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:57 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostTue Dec 16, 2008 3:34 am » by Becks


Interesting post Vol. :flop:

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:57 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostTue Dec 16, 2008 3:51 am » by Becks


:D :D :D

I just noticed what you posted this topic under.....

here is what I wrote before in we need new topics...

Judging by the amount of OFF TOPIC related posts, I think we need more categories!
Also without googling what is Crypto zoology . :headscratch: ..really is it any wonder no one posts here?
Ghosts and spirits is getting a bad rap too....maybe should be Angels and Demons for effect... :D :nails:

Maybe Secret societies should be NWO & S.Societies ? :nwo:

Super Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 6253
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:53 am

PostTue Dec 16, 2008 4:12 am » by Vulcanic


lol i know it seems like i am the only one who posts in this section lol and these never get many comments either.
Image

My YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPmp_ByJdC5zkBQQmCr7EUw


Upload to Disclose.tv


Super Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 6253
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:53 am

PostTue Dec 16, 2008 4:18 am » by Vulcanic


becks wrote::D :D :D

I just noticed what you posted this topic under.....

here is what I wrote before in we need new topics...

Judging by the amount of OFF TOPIC related posts, I think we need more categories!
Also without googling what is Crypto zoology . :headscratch: ..really is it any wonder no one posts here?
Ghosts and spirits is getting a bad rap too....maybe should be Angels and Demons for effect... :D :nails:

Maybe Secret societies should be NWO & S.Societies ? :nwo:


we need a place to put references to back up the claims in the videos, I would like to have historical section i post anything that is history in the ancient mysterys section but its not allways a mystery it's more like the proven truth.

Also i think they should have a tv/movie & music related to disclose.tv, alot of music/movies are based on our storys and alot of the ideas they use in the music/film are some of the best ideas on what it really could be..
Image

My YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPmp_ByJdC5zkBQQmCr7EUw


Upload to Disclose.tv


Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:57 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostTue Dec 16, 2008 4:19 am » by Becks


vulcanic wrote:lol i know it seems like i am the only one who posts in this section lol and these never get many comments either.


I guess cause no one knows what it means..lol
so I thought I would educate myself and others, just to boost your topic Volcanic.. :D

hope it helps get crypto zoology off the bottom of the Disclose ranking topics...for all those interested, I have posted on we need new topics...

Cryptozoology (from Greek κρυπτός, kruptos, "hidden" + zoology; literally, "study of hidden animals") is the study of and search for animals which fall outside of contemporary zoological catalogs. It consists of two primary fields of research:

* The search for living examples of animals taxonomically identified through fossil records, but which are believed to be extinct.
* The search for animals that fall outside of taxonomic records due to a lack of empirical evidence, but for which anecdotal evidence exists in the form of myths, legends, or undocumented sightings.[1]

A subset of the first field is the search for "out of place animals," such as Phantom cats.

Those involved in cryptozoological study are known as "cryptozoologists"; the animals they study are often referred to as "cryptids", a term coined by John Wall in 1983.[2]

Because cryptozoologists do not typically follow the scientific method[3][4] and devote a substantial portion of their efforts to investigations of animals that most scientists believe are unlikely to exist,[5] cryptozoology has received little attention from the scientific community. In 2004, however, paleoanthropologist Henry Gee, a senior editor of the leading journal Nature argued that cryptozoology was of legitimate scientific value and could "come in from the cold."[6]

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:57 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostTue Dec 16, 2008 4:23 am » by Becks


vulcanic wrote:
becks wrote::D :D :D

I just noticed what you posted this topic under.....

here is what I wrote before in we need new topics...

Judging by the amount of OFF TOPIC related posts, I think we need more categories!
Also without googling what is Crypto zoology . :headscratch: ..really is it any wonder no one posts here?
Ghosts and spirits is getting a bad rap too....maybe should be Angels and Demons for effect... :D :nails:

Maybe Secret societies should be NWO & S.Societies ? :nwo:


we need a place to put references to back up the claims in the videos, I would like to have historical section i post anything that is history in the ancient mysterys section but its not allways a mystery it's more like the proven truth.

Also i think they should have a tv/movie & music related to disclose.tv, alot of music/movies are based on our storys and alot of the ideas they use in the music/film are some of the best ideas on what it really could be..



all good ideas Volcanic...could you post your thoughts in the topic , being we need new topics...cheers...

I feel many have great ideas, and are just sat on their ass, watching, thinking but making no efforts...

Initiate
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:58 pm

PostTue Dec 16, 2008 12:44 pm » by Blackbarbie


well im extremely interested i wondr what sparked it off
maybe its lyk thse fish in the pond in the simsons that are all mutated lol or maybe not.. hhaa (bad joke)
but yea im nt wanting to see those spiders as big as dinner plates :o

Barbie =] xx
Religion was made by a business man.

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:37 am

PostFri Jan 23, 2009 1:44 am » by Bink02


:o Ahhh. So thats what Cryptozoology means ...I always thought it was like little critters living in ummm ahh :headscratch: crypts at umm :think: zoos or something ...... :nails: :D
Founder of the RLA (Rebel Lemming Alliance ) * We follow no one ...

"People should not fear their governments, governments should fear their people ."

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:37 am

PostFri Jan 23, 2009 1:57 am » by Bink02


:oops: sorry, forgot to add this , that,s a great idea volcanic... :mrgreen: ( still trying to figure out how to do the quote thing ) :wink:
Founder of the RLA (Rebel Lemming Alliance ) * We follow no one ...

"People should not fear their governments, governments should fear their people ."



  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook