MOST INFLUENTIAL MUSICIANS EVER?

Initiate

PostThu Jul 09, 2009 12:13 pm » by Nuada

This post digresses from the conspiratorial nature of the site but hey, i wanted to know who all you folks think are the most influential bands or solo artists of all time. What they were writing/ singing about; what good things they done in their lives for others etc etc.

Why you like(d) them and what this says about you

Here are mine:

1) John Lennon - a peace loving man that touched the hearts of millions. He also used his presence and wealth to further causes over the world. A visionary of the 20th century.

2) The Doors/ Jim Morrison - One of the greates bands i think of all time. Right into the pschedelic and mind at large theories. Musically gifted in the extreme, and timeless, as is all good art.

3) Pink FLoyd - Very socio-political and lyrical geniousess. Musically second-to-none. Went through so many phases as a band from the early psychedelic years to the latter with The Wall etc. Profoundly brilliant.

4) Bob Marley - He needs no introduction. A legend.
“ What is your aim in philosophy? – To show the fly the way out of the fly-bottle. ”
—Ludwig Wittgenstein

"Deep in the human unconsciousness is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic . . . . Survival is the ability to swim in strange currents." - Frank Herbert

Conspirator

PostThu Jul 09, 2009 12:31 pm » by Drextin

Nah man you can;t have lennon without the beatles. Double Fantasy was good but most of his greatest work still came when he was with the group.

Agree with the rest though.........and would add............

Queen

Aerosmith

Led Zepplin

The Eagles

The Beastie boys.........you can try and argue this one but you'd lose! They were there at the beginning of rap.............they helped pioneer alternative.............and they helped create the techno craze.
--------------------------------------------
Personal Influences...

Hall & Oats...........incredible vocals with smokey r&b sounds.

Air Supply.........they helped influence the guilty pleasure movement. :D

Isley Bros.

The O'jays

Run DMC

Annie Lennox..............the woman has never made a bad song.

Sade..........same as Annie

The Highway Men...........Johnny, Willie, Chris and Waylon..........the original badasses.

Pearl Jam...........The album Ten............the rest is shit.

Don Williams

Ronnie Milsap

Ray Charles

Chrystal Gale

Bobby Womack........two of the greatest songs ever given to mankind..........if you think you're lonely now and no matter how high I get (not that kinda high)
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking
King of my jungle just a gangster stalking

Initiate

PostThu Jul 09, 2009 12:47 pm » by Nuada

drextin wrote:Nah man you can;t have lennon without the beatles. Double Fantasy was good but most of his greatest work still came when he was with the group.

Agree with the rest though.........and would add............

Queen

Aerosmith

Led Zepplin

The Eagles

The Beastie boys.........you can try and argue this one but you'd lose! They were there at the beginning of rap.............they helped pioneer alternative.............and they helped create the techno craze.
--------------------------------------------
Personal Influences...

Hall & Oats...........incredible vocals with smokey r&b sounds.

Air Supply.........they helped influence the guilty pleasure movement. :D

Isley Bros.

The O'jays

Run DMC

Annie Lennox..............the woman has never made a bad song.

Sade..........same as Annie

The Highway Men...........Johnny, Willie, Chris and Waylon..........the original badasses.

Pearl Jam...........The album Ten............the rest is shit.

Don Williams

Ronnie Milsap

Ray Charles

Chrystal Gale

Bobby Womack........two of the greatest songs ever given to mankind..........if you think you're lonely now and no matter how high I get (not that kinda high)

You should get a hold of the albumn: "The best of John Lennon" It's breathtaking. 'Imagine' was one of his creations and is on this albumn. He was the inspiration behind the beetles. He had the vision as is proven by the bands individual careers following the break up of the beetles. George Harrison was goo too but i could never see the point in Paul McCartney. As Lennon once said of McCartney,"all you ever did was yesterday."

I lke some of the other artists you posted drex. RunDMC are cool, Ray Charles too
“ What is your aim in philosophy? – To show the fly the way out of the fly-bottle. ”
—Ludwig Wittgenstein

"Deep in the human unconsciousness is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic . . . . Survival is the ability to swim in strange currents." - Frank Herbert

Conspirator

PostThu Jul 09, 2009 12:51 pm » by bugmenot

yeh and wack jacko wouldnt be anywhere near that list

me personally i love gun old sixties british band with the gurvitz bros

Upload to Disclose.tv

Upload to Disclose.tv

come on you must remember this song below

Upload to Disclose.tv

Conspirator

PostThu Jul 09, 2009 1:02 pm » by Drextin

You should get a hold of the albumn: "The best of John Lennon" It's breathtaking. 'Imagine' was one of his creations and is on this albumn. He was the inspiration behind the beetles. He had the vision as is proven by the bands individual careers following the break up of the beetles. George Harrison was goo too but i could never see the point in Paul McCartney. As Lennon once said of McCartney,"all you ever did was yesterday."

Well lets not undermine Paul's achievements.....
McCartney is listed in The Guinness Book Of Records as the most successful musician and composer in popular music history,[246][247][248] with sales of 100 million singles and 60 gold discs.[249] McCartney has achieved twenty-nine number-one singles in the U.S., twenty of them with The Beatles, the rest with Wings and as a solo artist.

The songwriting partnership of John Lennon and Paul McCartney, usually referred to as Lennon/McCartney, is one of the best-known and most successful musical and cultural collaborations of all time. Early in their partnership, the pair agreed to use the shared credit Lennon/McCartney on all songs written alone or in tandem for The Beatles. Their output constitutes the bulk of The Beatles' catalogue.

Lennon (rhythm guitar), with his cynical edge and knack for introspection, and McCartney (bass guitar), with his storytelling optimism and gift for melody, complemented each other. Lennon and McCartney formed a critically acclaimed and commercially successful partnership writing songs for The Beatles and other artists.[1] Although lead guitarist George Harrison and drummer Ringo Starr are credited for numerous compositions, it was Lennon and McCartney that were the dominant songwriters in the band.
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking
King of my jungle just a gangster stalking

Initiate

PostThu Jul 09, 2009 1:02 pm » by Nuada

bugmenot wrote:yeh and wack jacko wouldnt be anywhere near that list

me personally i love gun old sixties british band with the gurvitz bros

Upload to Disclose.tv

Upload to Disclose.tv

come on you must remember this song below

Upload to Disclose.tv

I agree. Can you imagine (no pun intended) John Lennon leaving the stage to a chorus of applause then a voice saying next on stage is Michael Jackson?! eehee
—Ludwig Wittgenstein

Conspirator

PostThu Jul 09, 2009 1:04 pm » by bugmenot

yeh lennon is a fuckin legend jacko aint :flop:

heres sum lennon viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5838 :alien:
Last edited by bugmenot on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Initiate

PostThu Jul 09, 2009 1:05 pm » by Nuada

drextin wrote:

Well lets not undermine Paul's achievements.....
McCartney is listed in The Guinness Book Of Records as the most successful musician and composer in popular music history,[246][247][248] with sales of 100 million singles and 60 gold discs.[249] McCartney has achieved twenty-nine number-one singles in the U.S., twenty of them with The Beatles, the rest with Wings and as a solo artist.

The songwriting partnership of John Lennon and Paul McCartney, usually referred to as Lennon/McCartney, is one of the best-known and most successful musical and cultural collaborations of all time. Early in their partnership, the pair agreed to use the shared credit Lennon/McCartney on all songs written alone or in tandem for The Beatles. Their output constitutes the bulk of The Beatles' catalogue.

Lennon (rhythm guitar), with his cynical edge and knack for introspection, and McCartney (bass guitar), with his storytelling optimism and gift for melody, complemented each other. Lennon and McCartney formed a critically acclaimed and commercially successful partnership writing songs for The Beatles and other artists.[1] Although lead guitarist George Harrison and drummer Ringo Starr are credited for numerous compositions, it was Lennon and McCartney that were the dominant songwriters in the band.

i take your point drex
—Ludwig Wittgenstein

Initiate

PostThu Jul 09, 2009 2:32 pm » by Lordgaga

Kraftwerk!

But I also like more conventional musicians too. E.g. The Beatles, The Birds etc.

Enjoy this vid ( if you like this kind of music)

Upload to Disclose.tv