Mountain Lion Killed by car in Milford, CT

Initiate

PostSun Jun 12, 2011 2:43 am » by Zigoapex

In 2003 while driving to an appointment at 10:00am,a mountian lion ran right out in front of
me and had to slam on the breaks to miss it.It was a young one that had a trace of the spots on it.I call the P.G.C.(Pennsylvania game commission) and basically said i was nuts.
well,maybe i'm nuts but I know what I saw!
this is about 150 miles from my location witch is nothing for them to travel.
I believe they travel the Appalachians. Hopefully this will wake up some people to
take sightings more seriously . :cheers:

Phantoms and Monsters
http://naturalplane.blogspot.com/2011/06/fortean-alternative-news-zombie-attack.html

Driver Hits, Kills Mountain Lion in Milford, CT

A Newington driver struck a mountain lion in Milford early Saturday morning and officials believe it is the animal that has eluded authorities in Greenwich.

Sigred Lacson of Newington, was traveling on Route 15 northbound, just north of exit 55 in Milford, around 1:30 a.m. and hit the animal, which was in the left lane.

Officials from the state Department of Environmental Protection confirmed that the animal is a mountain lion, police said, and it was dead when they arrived.

Officials in Greenwich had been searching for a mountain lion after some sightings in the King Street area and that search expanded to New York after days passed with no reports of the animal, the Port Chester Patch reported.

DEP spokesman Dennis Schain told the Hartford Courant on Saturday that this is likely the Greenwich mountain lion.

This scene of the crash is about 40 miles away from those sightings, according to a Mapquest search.

The lion seen in Greenwich appeared to have been held in captivity and either escaped or was released, DEP Deputy Commissioner Susan Frechette said earlier in the week.

The eastern mountain lion was declared extinct earlier this year and, until now, the closest confirmed mountain lion sighting was in Missouri, according to the DEP.

Since the reports came out earlier in the week, it appears that someone created a Connecticut Mountain Lion Twitter account. There is also a Facebook account.

DEP responded to remove the lion. Lacson was not hurt.
- nbcconnecticut

Super Moderator

PostSun Jun 12, 2011 2:49 am » by The57ironman

too bad about the cat.....a shame

..... If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.......

Initiate

PostSun Jun 12, 2011 2:50 am » by Garciaface

I've lived and worked around families of mountain lions in a populated city (Temecula, California), and they will live around people for years before people realize they are there. They can be there watching your kids play in the backyard for years, and never strike. These are cats, and cats are curious and adventurous. They once lived all around the Americas, inlcuding Southern Canada, and still live today from Florida to California and up as far as Washington, and in all of Central and South America. I've seen huge bobcats in Northern Maine almost as large as a one-year-old mountain lion.

Super Moderator

PostSun Jun 12, 2011 2:53 am » by The57ironman

i guess they're making a comeback , from what i've heard from locals in west mass ....the berkshires and such.....bobcats are around in so.new hamphire .......

Writer

PostSun Jun 12, 2011 3:04 am » by Uss001

Here in Vermont they claim there are none as well and when i sent them 3 images from my game cams they told me i miss identified it. but they still requested the location, and i replied there was no need to give them the location as it was not what i thought. Then a few days later i got another e-mail saying they were catamounts and again requested the location so i told them.

Initiate

PostSun Jun 12, 2011 3:09 am » by Crazynutsx

awsome poor kitty though

Super Moderator

PostSun Jun 12, 2011 3:25 am » by The57ironman

Initiate

PostSun Jun 12, 2011 3:35 am » by Zigoapex

I also saw one in 1985 about 3 miles from where i seen the one in 2003.it was a mature
mt. lion.
it crossed rt 6,a 4 lane road and ran up a near vertical 30 ft embankment in 5 bounds.
It was probably the most amazing task of power,agility,and speed I ever witnessed.

one rd that travels through a mountain pass was nicked named, wildcat rd. I remember
stories of people seeing them on occasion while picking wild berries on the mountain.

over the last 8 years, I ran into some various people that have seen them in the surrounding area and the Catskills.

Just like to say, that there might be some people that will say it was probably a bobcat,
but if you know the difference there is no way you can confuse the two.
Im an avid hunter that started hunting with my father when i was 5 years old, im now
46 years old.
I seen my share of bobcats,actually in the last 10 years I've seen 1 to 3 a year,
but before that, maybe see 1 in 5 years or so.

Initiate

PostSun Jun 12, 2011 3:40 am » by Minihaha

Yeah, they denied that mountain lions were in my area up until just recently, but I saw one with a bunch of kids when I was little out at camp. It was about 500 ft away, but it walked so casual, it was awesome, and we weren't afraid either, we all just thought it was so cool, to me it was a memorable gift.

Writer

PostSun Jun 12, 2011 3:48 am » by Uss001

the57ironman wrote:Image

the57ironman your 1st image here is of a bob cat note it has no tail and the spots are another giveaway these cats are very common here in Vermont. the second is a mt lion though.

Joe

Next