Music and Mysticism

Master Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 10610
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:11 pm

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 6:23 pm » by Cornbread714


birdcoltrane wrote:Music is the purest form of self expression. I like to think of music and music theory like a picture and its negatives. The chord progressions move you through hills and valleys while the negatives are the mathematical part of it. Also, the entire universe is on a combinations of vibrations and movement. That is exactly what music is. we all have music inside of us. That is the one thing we all share as humans :cheers: :cheers:


:flop:

I've heard it said that playing music is the only activity that engages your body, your intellect, your heart, and your soul. :D
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Conspirator
Posts: 5671
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:28 am

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 6:38 pm » by Drextin


Wow! Some pretty damn good observations about music going on here. I don't think anyone would disagree that you are all right.

My view will seem very simplistic in comparison.

I believe music is a recording of our emotions over time. I can remember a lot of things from my past but nothing will actually take me back there emotionally like music. Every phase of our lives are marked by one or more songs.

Some people even go through musical phases at different points in their lives representing who they were at the time. There is no other power greater than music to help define us at any given moment in our lives.

A sad song may remind you of a lost love. A upbeat song may remind you of better days. The crazy thing is a sad song can remind us of better times and a upbeat song can remind us of the worst of times. whatever song is relevant at the time is stamped with whatever emotion we are feeling. Despite the song's emotional content.

We are so directly tied to music as humans to remove it from our lives would evoke an almost immediate change in us. We would be more cold and mechanical and possibly without ambition or hope.

Plus without music we wouldn't get to see the ladies shaking their booties. :flop:
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking
King of my jungle just a gangster stalking

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 622
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:28 am

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 6:42 pm » by Mugenroshi8


Could it be possible that Time is irrelevant when similar frequencies align? As in, when that particular song associates a memory with the present, it can immediately alter your mood to reflect the vibration you were experiencing when you first associated the memory?
Image

Master Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 10610
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:11 pm

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 6:44 pm » by Cornbread714


drextin wrote:
Plus without music we wouldn't get to see the ladies shaking their booties. :flop:


Just had to come drag this thread into the gutter, dinchya?





Only problem is, YOU'RE RIGHT! :dancing:
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 5:43 pm

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 6:47 pm » by Snutz


Before I comment on this topic, I'd like to apologize to cornbread for becoming so brash in my last posts on the AJ thread, as my frustration was not directed to anyone specifically, but it may seem that way.

I would love to see what people have to say on this subject, as I've read some very good posts so far.

In my understanding, music is mystical .... they go hand in hand. I can theorize all day about how music affects us, but I've tried before and it confused the hell out of me. I think it may be one of those things that I'll truly never understand how it affects us.

And cornbread, I understand EXACTLY how you feel man. I'm also a self taught musician, and taught myself piano at the age of four. Since then I have acquired skill in many instruments, but so far Bass is my favorite, and has been the only instrument I have stuck with for any extended period of time (12 years). Because of my training in music throughout my life, I also cannot hear music without critiquing every single thing about it, and as a result I have lost the ability to look at any music for it's entertainment value, which causes many to believe that I'm close minded when it comes to music. Although metal is my favorite, it's followed closely by classical, then jazz/funk (I fucking love slap!). My next bass will be a fret-less, however I'm not sure exactly which brand I want. Obviously Tobias or Warwick would be the first choice, but I'm not rollin in the money, so a 2k+ bass is out of the question.
I think I may settle for a Schecter, which really isn't settling at all b/c every neck-through Schecter I've played on feels and sounds just as good as most Warwicks. Sorry, I'm not very centered today so I'm going off into a tangent, lol!

Not only that, but I haven't smoked in a couple days now and my Tourrettes is seriously acting up, so if I don't respond to posts, but you see me online, that's why. When this happens I get frustrated to the point of violent outlashes, and I don't want to chance that with any of you here.

Lastly, music is the ONLY thing other than pot that can keep my Tourrettes at bay, however it requires more than just me playing, because I practice when there's no other instruments, which is also frustrating at times. Not a good combination when my Tourrettes is showing it's ugly face, lol.

Edited to add ... 4 PAGES!! lets see THIS hit 30+!!!!! Everyone's input is more than welcomed here, because unless you're deaf, music touches everyone! (remember, exceptions to rules, i.e. Beethoven)
Last edited by Snutz on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conspirator
Posts: 1559
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:25 am

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 6:52 pm » by Dirtyrabbit


music makes the world go round...
but no one has noticed the music has changed..

to late now..



Upload to Disclose.tv


Master Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 10610
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:11 pm

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 6:56 pm » by Cornbread714


snutz wrote:Before I comment on this topic, I'd like to apologize to cornbread for becoming so brash in my last posts on the AJ thread, as my frustration was not directed to anyone specifically, but it may seem that way.

I would love to see what people have to say on this subject, as I've read some very good posts so far.

In my understanding, music is mystical .... they go hand in hand. I can theorize all day about how music affects us, but I've tried before and it confused the hell out of me. I think it may be one of those things that I'll truly never understand how it affects us.

And cornbread, I understand EXACTLY how you feel man. I'm also a self taught musician, and taught myself piano at the age of four. Since then I have acquired skill in many instruments, but so far Bass is my favorite, and has been the only instrument I have stuck with for any extended period of time (12 years). Because of my training in music throughout my life, I also cannot hear music without critiquing every single thing about it, and as a result I have lost the ability to look at any music for it's entertainment value, which causes many to believe that I'm close minded when it comes to music. Although metal is my favorite, it's followed closely by classical, then jazz/funk (I fucking love slap!). My next bass will be a fret-less, however I'm not sure exactly which brand I want. Obviously Tobias or Warwick would be the first choice, but I'm not rollin in the money, so a 2k+ bass is out of the question.
I think I may settle for a Schecter, which really isn't settling at all b/c every neck-through Schecter I've played on feels and sounds just as good as most Warwicks. Sorry, I'm not very centered today so I'm going off into a tangent, lol!

Not only that, but I haven't smoked in a couple days now and my Tourrettes is seriously acting up, so if I don't respond to posts, but you see me online, that's why. When this happens I get frustrated to the point of violent outlashes, and I don't want to chance that with any of you here.

Lastly, music is the ONLY thing other than pot that can keep my Tourrettes at bay, however it requires more than just me playing, because I practice when there's no other instruments, which is also frustrating at times. Not a good combination when my Tourrettes is showing it's ugly face, lol.


Dude, no need to apologize to me. I jumped into that post to you a little brashly myself.
Hope you get your 'medicine' soon. I'm dependent on the herb myself, it's my prozac.
I once owned a Schecter (I play bass, too), it was a great bass. And as you know, it ain't the gear, it's the player, but a good player needs a good axe. One of the little paradoxes of life. :cheers:
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Conspirator
Posts: 5671
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:28 am

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 6:58 pm » by Drextin


I also have a thing for native music. American Indian, African, and the almost extraterrestrial sounds of the aborigine. All of them seem to have this irresistible control over the body. Try listening to the drums or chants without wanting to move some part of your body. It's almost impossible.

Snutz,
Sorry you are having a bad day man. If you were just a tad bit closer I could loan ya some "medicine". ;)

I wish I could play the piano but above anything else.......i wish I could play the banjo!

For someone reason this quote I heard awhile back.......I think it was an old movie star........came to mind.

"The true definition of a gentleman is one who can play the accordion............but doesn't."
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking
King of my jungle just a gangster stalking

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 5:43 pm

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 7:00 pm » by Snutz


bawdiemaude wrote:@ slush - im looking forward to sitting down and reading all that you posted.....

but whilst cleaning the toilet bowl just now.....always a source of inspiration (cough cough)

i was thinking about how the last music thread ended up being a bit of debacle.....

and considering i just posted that i thought music was part of this ambiguous term LOVE- it seemed ironic.....

then i thought well heck we dont judge notes as good or bad or right or wrong- we dont look down on a key as worse than any other....we understand intrinsically that they are all there- totally amoral with an endless potentiality......

so are we not all just like those notes here on this forum....? everyone has a different tone and together we play the harmony or disonance that is DTV?
and the opinions, diverse as they are are merely there, of no moral implication???

(i think the bleach fumes might of got me!)

:ohno:
:hugging:


One of the best attempts to describe humans I've ever seen! :clapper: :clapper:

Master Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 10610
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:11 pm

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 7:00 pm » by Cornbread714


dirtyrabbit wrote:music makes the world go round...
but no one has noticed the music has changed..

to late now..


Care to elaborate? Even if it is "too late" I'd love to hear your views about that. :cheers:
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)


PreviousNext

  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook