Music and Mysticism

Conspirator

PostTue Apr 28, 2009 4:13 am » by Eaganthorn

There was a time, and it has been a long time since I was there so I don't know if they still do this or not, when an annual folk life festival was held at Kerrville, TX. Several days of camping with a focus on unplugged music (no amps), sort of a Woodstock lite if you will, with bands like Peter, Paul and Mary, blue grass, American folk, conga troupe, poets etc.

The attraction I enjoyed the most was the bond fires at night. There was no headline band playing just everyone playing what ever they had all over the campgrounds. If you had nothing to play, generally someone would hand you a couple of sticks or something to play, and as the evening would progress, all the hundreds of people playing their random sounds would eventually come together. Almost like the music took on a life of it own. It sounded great, and everyone really got into the moment. I went three years in row, it was a blast and now I truly miss it.

I have to classify that as a positive side of musical influence.
Science is truth, God is truth, therefore

God is Science.

All religions were written by men, to control the hearts and minds of other men.

Conspirator

PostTue Apr 28, 2009 8:54 am » by Ogmios

eaganthorn wrote:There was a time, and it has been a long time since I was there so I don't know if they still do this or not, when an annual folk life festival was held at Kerrville, TX. Several days of camping with a focus on unplugged music (no amps), sort of a Woodstock lite if you will, with bands like Peter, Paul and Mary, blue grass, American folk, conga troupe, poets etc.

I know how many amazing new sounds are possible using current technology, but for me it has to be real. I don't mean to listen to, but to play. I like hearing overdrive or delay when someone else is doing it but I never do it myself; even though I bought a little effects unit, it is now gathering dust. I just love hearing those strings twang odd notes.

Have you ever been in your car, feeling shitty, and a song comes on the radio that you wouldn't normally listen to and it really uplifts you. Mine was "I can see clearly." I was about to quit my job which would have been stupid and I really believe that song helped me understand what was going down.

I ended up quitting the job a while later anyway but that's beside the point.
"God is a concept by which we measure our pain"
John Lennon

Initiate

PostTue Apr 28, 2009 9:06 am » by Mugenroshi8

ogmios wrote:I ended up quitting the job a while later anyway but that's beside the point.
lol! That is besides the point, but that's hilarious! I know what you're saying though, when ya just give the radio a funny look, like, heh!

Conspirator

PostWed Apr 29, 2009 10:32 am » by Clawspiracy

@ BM

Yeah, I did the experiment with a friend. It was such a rush to see the forms the water took. My next one will be with paint. I know that sound has power. I have begun to agree with a theory that states that the clues of sound are even in the Bible... Note that most passages in Genesis begin with "And God Said..." Vibration!

As far as painting? "Surrealist" as in the 1920's - 1940s...period. It's just what moves me... Your art sounds cool! Play the Cello! What have you got to lose?

@ ogmios

I have a room in the house where even the most mundane sound creates the most amazing overtones. And it works with anything, voice, guitar, melodica, and yes... Even my computer... So I love being in that room. We leave it empty. My wife uses it as a massage room, I use it to play music.
It's a Clawspiracy...

Initiate

PostThu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm » by Bink02

cornbread714 wrote:After having taken part in a thread derailment where music was touched on, I began thinking about some of my own philosophies about what music is and what it does. We've also discussed this a bit in other threads.
I think there is enough potential in this area to begin this thread.

Id like to ask everyone what, if any, relationship does music have to the soul, or the deep psyche (or whatever you'd like to call it)?

Does music speak to the soul? If so, how?

Any thoughts? :sunny:

I think that music attempts ( and sometimes succeeds) to reach the "oneness of spirit " that I believe we all share..., we share a commonality , that we as humans are not alone ...that we are part of a greater whole , we all share... birth.. life ... and death...it's what we do with our brief existence that determines the future of others...and I think that music is one path to that connection . I do not fear death... I fear not to live... :flop: ...good post, and Peace ... :cheers:
Founder of the RLA (Rebel Lemming Alliance ) * We follow no one ...

"People should not fear their governments, governments should fear their people ."

Previous