Music and Mysticism

Master Conspirator

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 2:55 pm » by Cornbread714

After having taken part in a thread derailment where music was touched on, I began thinking about some of my own philosophies about what music is and what it does. We've also discussed this a bit in other threads.
I think there is enough potential in this area to begin this thread.

Id like to ask everyone what, if any, relationship does music have to the soul, or the deep psyche (or whatever you'd like to call it)?

Does music speak to the soul? If so, how?

Any thoughts? :sunny:
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Initiate

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 3:14 pm » by Bawdiemaude

i have a feeling i am a small lamb being led to some verbal slaughter - not that you would be vicious - just i feel you have a LOT to share on the topic and to be frank id be really interested in your views.......

in a nutshell i say
we are energy
energy is a vibration
music is a vibration
it - like symbols visually- can speak to us in a deeper language of understanding

i love the 'humanness' that makes us cry listening to some music with a painful bitter sweet ecstacy
and other music immediately creates sparkles of happiness...
or deep sombre sorrow

i regret - being a visual artist- to not always create such an immediate and obvious reaction in ppl/

Initiate

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 3:23 pm » by Mugenroshi8

bawdiemaude wrote:in a nutshell i say
we are energy
energy is a vibration
music is a vibration
it - like symbols visually- can speak to us in a deeper language of understanding

Rock on! No, just like BM, I don't know really what to write because I'm not a musician, but at the same time, feel obligated to support this thread because of my love for said topic. When I think of the effect music has on the soul, it has always been a given for me, like saying, "hey look, the sky is blue!" But I never did, nor do I now fully, understand why that is. I do agree with BM for above quote, I honestly think it comes down to vibrations and frequencies within the body and mind (or the matter and energy that make up those two vehicles).

Eaganthorn would be a good person to ask about this possible connection, if he would like to join the thread that is :wink:

In any event, great choice Cornbread, gets the mind moving in a positive direction for the day!

Super Moderator

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 3:24 pm » by Spock

we are energy
energy is a vibration
music is a vibration

i love the 'humanness' that makes us cry listening to some music with a painful bitter sweet ecstacy
or deep sombre sorrow
/

:flop: Very well put.

Music definitely speaks to the soul. It alters emotions. From relaxation music to hypnotic tribal drum beats, Glenn Miller to Segovia, Mozart to Metallica - it all does something different to us - and I believe it the vibrations.

Plus - if we are 90% water (I think that's right - of course some days I'm 40% proof), the study of sound on water crystals would be the same for humans.

Heavy Metal Music

Beethoven's Pastorale

Tibet Sutra

You Make Me Sick, I Will Kill You

Love and Appreciation

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/twilight/research_emoto.htm

Initiate

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 3:36 pm » by Bawdiemaude

spock wrote:
we are energy
energy is a vibration
music is a vibration

or deep sombre sorrow
/

:flop: Very well put.

Music definitely speaks to the soul. It alters emotions. From relaxation music to hypnotic tribal drum beats, Glenn Miller to Segovia, Mozart to Metallica - it all does something different to us - and I believe it the vibrations.

Plus - if we are 90% water (I think that's right - of course some days I'm 40% proof), the study of sound on water crystals would be the same for humans.

Heavy Metal Music

Beethoven's Pastorale

Tibet Sutra

You Make Me Sick, I Will Kill You

Love and Appreciation

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/twilight/research_emoto.htm

i LOVE those pics-
we were just talking about that guys work the other day....please noone debunk his work- i find it such a validation - an adjunct- thoughts are energy, energy is vibration etc etc.....

Master Conspirator

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 3:39 pm » by Cornbread714

bawdiemaude wrote:i have a feeling i am a small lamb being led to some verbal slaughter - not that you would be vicious - just i feel you have a LOT to share on the topic and to be frank id be really interested in your views.......

in a nutshell i say
we are energy
energy is a vibration
music is a vibration

or deep sombre sorrow

i regret - being a visual artist- to not always create such an immediate and obvious reaction in ppl/

Have no fear, Bawdie. I thought it was a great post, and exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. I'd love to hear more from everyone before I jump in (kinda busy today, anyway), and I'm certainly not trying to debunk anything here.
I do have a lot of my own theories, but just because I'm a musician I don't think that my opinions are more valid than anyone else's.
In fact, I strongly feel that music is for everyone, and sometimes I meet people who I think are far more 'musical' than I am who have never even tried to play an instrument.
Sometimes I also feel like I have lost part of the ability to experience music in a pure way because I tend to over-analyze due of my training (I'm 'self-taught', but I have learned from countless others).
In my spare time I rarely listen to music anymore because it's already playing in my head like a radio 24/7 and honestly sometimes I wish that were not the case.
Which is another point I might touch on later.

But here's a question. Why do minor chords sound 'sad' and major chords 'happy'?
(I sure as hell don't have the answer to that one, but I have a few theories) :sunny:
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Initiate

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 3:45 pm » by Mugenroshi8

cornbread714 wrote:But here's a question. Why do minor chords sound 'sad' and major chords 'happy'?
(I sure as hell don't have the answer to that one, but I have a few theories) :sunny:

Could it have something to do with "low" tone and "high" tone? Isn't that the case, the 'low' one's are the 'somber' ones? In the eastern philosophical field there is quite a bit of thought put towards (what is associated with) 'negative' being 'low' and 'positive' being 'high'. A connection of dots?

Initiate

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 3:53 pm » by Bawdiemaude

god i HAVE to get on with my day- but everything today is striking a chord (excuse the pun of sorts)

i just wanted to add....i participate in spiritual energy workshops and sometimes we do whats called 'toning' basically everyone makes a sound sometimes sounds a bit like an aborigine didgeridoo (sp?) and the combination of all the different tones is phenomonal....

for me it was like being held more gently and firmly than any physical embrace- i also believe that vibration/ music can dislodge stuck low vibrations/ thoughts etc to help healing.....

i believe our chakras carry a different resonant note....yes????

i hope ive not wandered off topic- just wanted to share....

and funny i say the same about art and creativity EVERYONE is creative and musical - it is embedded in us.....oh yes and id add- MOVEMENT
i think thats what we are creative, from music/ vibration, and movement....!!!
probably all the same thing???
L O V E ???

:hugging:
:sunny:
Last edited by Bawdiemaude on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Initiate

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 3:54 pm » by Bawdiemaude

mugenroshi8 wrote:
cornbread714 wrote:But here's a question. Why do minor chords sound 'sad' and major chords 'happy'?

Could it have something to do with "low" tone and "high" tone? Isn't that the case, the 'low' one's are the 'somber' ones? In the eastern philosophical field there is quite a bit of thought put towards (what is associated with) 'negative' being 'low' and 'positive' being 'high'. A connection of dots?

yes
Im sure!
:flop:

Initiate

PostMon Apr 27, 2009 4:07 pm » by Mugenroshi8

bawdiemaude wrote:and funny i say the same about art and creativity EVERYONE is creative and musical it is embedded in us.....oh yes and id add- MOVEMENT
i think thats what we are creative, off music, and movement....!!!

:hugging:
:sunny:

I've been studying the martial arts since I could walk, and due to choices in my life have dedicated countless hours to said art. It's my life, has been as long as I can remember. The 'movement' to me "is" the art. To me:

"Martial" = "Intent"
"Art" = "Efficiency of Movement"

In my mind, it's about getting your body to paint (enact) the masterpiece envisioned in the mind. This is not 'anticipating' the opponent, but rather painting with the opponent, blending their movements with your own and disappearing in the Void, only to return when the 'intent' has been accomplished.

How does this relate in my mind? Vibration of the body. Fear slows movements, gets the mind in a low state, a cloudy state, slows reaction times in the body. Excitement speeds movements up, exhausts the body with exaggerated and inefficient movements (Fear and Excitement can both be present and also the definition can blur when adrenaline comes into play, but my main idea is more the intent behind the emotional bubble); but the Void as I call it, or ceasing to think one way or another, keeps the body in sync with the mind, increasing reaction time and allowing for correct muscle memory judgments in combat.

I often listen to music as I train (almost always), all kinds of music, to test the reaction it has on my body as I train. Fascinating, music

Next