Mysterious Light Columns In Latvia

Master Conspirator

PostFri Jan 16, 2009 6:21 pm » by Drjones

Yeah these make nice pics,id buy one of these definetely. :clapper:
I agree with Alexrubic,hey cool,that's an anagram of excalibur,i just noticed that,i didnt read a recent post elsewhere,honest :oops: .Anyways good work m8,your like the agent Scully of the site if you dont mind me saying,although she is a woman so you might,anyways you know what i mean,cheers for the info :flop:

Initiate

PostFri Jan 16, 2009 8:18 pm » by Alexrubic

drjones wrote:Yeah these make nice pics,id buy one of these definetely. :clapper:
I agree with Alexrubic,hey cool,that's an anagram of excalibur,i just noticed that,i didnt read a recent post elsewhere,honest :oops: .Anyways good work m8,your like the agent Scully of the site if you dont mind me saying,although she is a woman so you might,anyways you know what i mean,cheers for the info :flop:

LOL! That's good Dr. J! Yes, I am (a male version of) Agent Scully! There's got to be someone who can remain rational and 'keep one foot firmly on the ground, no matter what colour sock the other foot is wearing' as someone once said!
When Britain first, at Heaven's command arose from out the azure main; this was the charter of the land, and guardian angels sang this strain: "Rule, Britannia, rule the waves: Britons never will be slaves."

James Thomson (1700-1748)

Master Conspirator

PostFri Jan 16, 2009 8:21 pm » by Drjones

Top man Alex,cheers...what's the fascination with Excalibur if you dont mind me asking :?:
Your posts are immaculate and i love reading them,keep it up. :clapper:

Initiate

PostFri Jan 16, 2009 8:46 pm » by Alexrubic

drjones wrote:Top man Alex,cheers...what's the fascination with Excalibur if you dont mind me asking :?:
Your posts are immaculate and i love reading them,keep it up. :clapper:

Don't know! I was trying to think of a user name/handle that would be appropriate to the nature of this web site/forum and would also allude to my 'sensibility' on the subject and thought that a 'sword'-related name would be ideal*. Unfortunately, I think 'excalibur' was already taken so I had a quick think and noticed I could get my first name out of some of the letters and those that remained could be rearranged into 'rubic' which is a bit like the last name of the inventor of that other 'puzzle', Rubik's cube!

* I think of the sword (a double-edged blade) as an instrument for cutting through seemingly impenetrable falsehoods, distractions and irrelevancies to reveal the truth! And the most famous sword is, of course, Excalibur!

Did you know that, according to the folklore (and ballads, etc.), Excalibur was not King Arthur's original sword or the one that he drew from the stone (an allusion to the art of sword making by smelting ore to release the metal within)? That sword was broken in battle and Merlin obtained Excalibur from the Lady of the Lake and gave it to Arthur as a replacement for the one he had lost.

Sir Bedivere later returned Excalibur to the lake at King Arthur's dying request where the arm and hand of the Lady of the Lake breached the surface, caught the sword in mid air and pulled it down beneath the waters of the lake.

There have been many versions of the name Excalibur and its meaning in the various tellings of the fable but I fancy it may have derived from the 'Old English' words 'Eg', 'Callis' 'Bert' which mean 'Sword', 'Chalice', 'Bright' (or 'Famous') respectively. It could therefore be interpreted as 'the sword of the bright chalice', possibly alluding to the quest for the 'Holy Grail' (believed to be a cup or chalice - as used by Christ and the Apostles at the last supper) or a more esoteric and occult reference to the bestower of the sword - the Lady of the Lake. Both the feminine principle and the element of water are symbolised by the 'cup' or 'chalice'!

Some myths have Excalibur as one of thirteen enchanted swords forged by Wayland the Smith. There is an 'earthwork' in England somewhere that is called 'Wayland's Smithy' and is believed to be the site where Wayland forged his swords!
When Britain first, at Heaven's command arose from out the azure main; this was the charter of the land, and guardian angels sang this strain: "Rule, Britannia, rule the waves: Britons never will be slaves."

Writer

PostFri Jan 16, 2009 8:59 pm » by Lunky

Great pictures who ever took them. the light source is from on of there many fountain displays. The fountains pump water to about 10-15 feet in the air, and then drop to about 2 feet, then change jets and midflow to give a dancing effect. in the middle is a very bright spot light. I guess being a cold misty night could give some pretty lighting effects too.
Last edited by Lunky on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master Conspirator

PostFri Jan 16, 2009 9:00 pm » by Drjones

Nice one again m8...I'm a fan :flop: ..I like the whole Excalibur legend thingy myself...or was it such a legend :?: ..i think recent documentaries have shed some light on the knights of the round table and such have'nt they,you know...The knights templar...It's confusing,im sure the truth is in there somewhere...who knows... :bang;
You saying that excalibur was not the original sword was kinda cool,it reminded me on Lord of the rings and the sword that cut off the finger/s of "The bad guy",you know at the start of the first movie...that later showed up in part 3 i believe in pieces,it was then reforged for Aragorn or whatever..lol..to use...am i onto somethnig or just babbling :headscratch:
Cheers :mrgreen:

Initiate

PostFri Jan 16, 2009 9:07 pm » by Alexrubic

drjones wrote:Nice one again m8...I'm a fan :flop: ..I like the whole Excalibur legend thingy myself...or was it such a legend :?: ..i think recent documentaries have shed some light on the knights of the round table and such have'nt they,you know...The knights templar...It's confusing,im sure the truth is in there somewhere...who knows... :bang;
You saying that excalibur was not the original sword was kinda cool,it reminded me on Lord of the rings and the sword that cut off the finger/s of "The bad guy",you know at the start of the first movie...that later showed up in part 3 i believe in pieces,it was then reforged for Aragorn or whatever..lol..to use...am i onto somethnig or just babbling :headscratch:
Cheers :mrgreen:

No, J R R Tolkein was a big fan of English/Germanic/Anglo-Saxon mythology and often incorporated certain themes into his works! So I wouldn't be surprised if there were oblique references to Excalibur, etc. in The Lord of the Rings!

Master Conspirator

PostFri Jan 16, 2009 9:21 pm » by Drjones

So i'm not mad afterall..phew... :flop:

Initiate

PostSun Jan 18, 2009 12:32 am » by Alexrubic

Colorful Light Pillars
Credit & Copyright: Walter Tape (Alaska Fairbanks), Figure 8-1, Atmospheric Halos

Explanation: How can an aurora appear so near the ground? Pictured above are not aurora but nearby light pillars, a local phenomenon that can appear as a distant one. In most places on Earth, a lucky viewer can see a Sun-pillar, a column of light appearing to extend up from the Sun caused by flat fluttering ice-crystals reflecting sunlight from the upper atmosphere. Usually these ice crystals evaporate before reaching the ground. During freezing temperatures, however, flat fluttering ice crystals may form near the ground in a form of light snow, sometimes known as a crystal fog. These ice crystals may then reflect ground lights in columns not unlike a Sun-pillar. In the above picture, the colorful lights causing the light pillars surround a ice-skating rink in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Urban light pillars above cities
Bavais of Ath, Belgium, snapped this photograph during last week's Leonid meteor shower. According to physicist Les Cowley, the strange lights that Bavais captured so beautifully are urban light pillars.

Joel Bavais explains: "That night above Ath there was an icy fog full of flat plate crystals. The tiny crystals mirrored the lights of the city beneath into sets of light pillars. The higher the crystals, the closer the reflection glints approached the zenith making the pillars appear to converge overhead. Why the breaks in the lines of light? There were several layers of ice crystals with gaps between them."

Previous