NASA's Mars rover Opportunity at its new location on Mars

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 9348
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 pm

PostMon Sep 05, 2011 6:36 pm » by Freeyourmindnow


NASA's Mars Rover Opportunity Begins Study of Martian Crater. its new location on Mars shows surface compositional differences from anything the robot has studied in its first 7.5 years of exploration.

more info and pict. here

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mer/n ... 10901.html
Last edited by Freeyourmindnow on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 9348
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 pm

PostMon Sep 05, 2011 6:44 pm » by Freeyourmindnow


Image
Image

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 863
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

PostMon Sep 05, 2011 6:50 pm » by Taintedsample


Interesting white substance on top of those rocks yes?
Also, inb4 frutty <3

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 9348
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 pm

PostMon Sep 05, 2011 7:06 pm » by Freeyourmindnow


taintedsample wrote:Interesting white substance on top of those rocks yes?
Also, inb4 frutty <3

exactly :think: and the new location shows differences from anything the robot has studied in its first 7.5 years of exploration. :shock:

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:54 am

PostMon Sep 05, 2011 7:16 pm » by Smokeydog


ok this is gonna sound stupid but didnt one mars rover completely f*** up and was dead on the rock and the other have an uber dodgy wheel meaning it couldnt really move ??? or have i just made that up :S
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokeydogsmokey

When people are sat on something you want you make them an enemy

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 9348
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 pm

PostMon Sep 05, 2011 7:20 pm » by Freeyourmindnow


smokeydog wrote:ok this is gonna sound stupid but didnt one mars rover completely f*** up and was dead on the rock and the other have an uber dodgy wheel meaning it couldnt really move ??? or have i just made that up :S

:think: i remember indeed something like that, but probably somebody or something fixed it :headscratch: maybe they just lied to us :alien: :cheers:

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:54 am

PostMon Sep 05, 2011 7:25 pm » by Smokeydog


hmm ill have a google and get back to you later mainly to confirm im not making memorys up lol
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokeydogsmokey

When people are sat on something you want you make them an enemy

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 9348
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 pm

PostMon Sep 05, 2011 7:40 pm » by Freeyourmindnow


smokeydog wrote:hmm ill have a google and get back to you later mainly to confirm im not making memorys up lol

:flop:

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:54 am

PostMon Sep 05, 2011 7:46 pm » by Smokeydog


heres one

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8481798.stm
Nasa accepts Spirit Mars rover 'stuck for good'
By Jonathan Amos
Science correspondent, BBC News

Artist's impression of rover on Mars (Nasa)
Spirit was given a primary mission on the Red Planet of three months

The US space agency (Nasa) has admitted defeat in its battle to free the Spirit rover from its Martian sand trap.

The vehicle became stuck in soft soil back in May last year and all the efforts to extricate it have failed.

Nasa says Spirit, which landed on the Red Planet just over six years ago, will now live out its remaining days as a static science station.

The robot geologist has taken thousands of images and found evidence in Mars' rocks of a wetter, warmer past.

"Spirit has encountered a golfer's worst nightmare - the sand trap that no matter how many strokes you take, you can't get out of it," said Doug McCuistion, director of the Mars exploration programme at Nasa headquarters in Washington DC.

"But this is not a day to mourn Spirit; this is not a day of loss at this point. Spirit will continue to make contributions to science."

Like a 'polar bear'

The robot's predicament has been exacerbated by the failure of two of its six wheels. Without the additional traction, the agency now accepts that further efforts to try to escape the soft soil will be fruitless.

Instead, the mission team is concentrating on trying to get the rover tilted in a manner that will maximise the amount of sunlight falling on its solar panels during the approaching winter months. Engineers have a plan to rock the vehicle back and forth to acquire a more favourable posture.

Even so, it is likely Spirit will maintain so little energy in its batteries that it will go into hibernation, perhaps as soon as April. It will not emerge from that state until August or September, when the Sun gets high enough in the Martian sky to power up the rover's systems.

"The rover will be like a polar bear, hibernating; and it could be for many months - of the order of six months," explained John Callas, Spirit's project manager at Nasa's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

"We have to be prepared to go through a period where we are not hearing from the rover for an extended length of time."

Far from being downbeat, Professor Steve Squyres, the rover's principal investigator, expressed some excitement at the scientific possibilities of a static vehicle.

He said the signal from a stationary Spirit could be tracked very accurately, to measure how much Mars wobbles on its axis. This could establish definitively whether the planet had a solid or a liquid core - information that scientists could use to better understand the planet's magnetic history.

This was, he said, "totally new science, never been done before - really fundamental stuff".

"This is something that I didn't really think very much about when we put a rover on the surface of Mars because we were thinking about the geology on the surface. But when you delve deeply into what this vehicle is capable of, you find new tricks; and it's something we're really excited about."

Watery past

Spirit was one of two rovers that Nasa landed on the planet in the January of 2004. The second vehicle, Opportunity, continues to roll freely on the surface.

Spirit was targeted at the 170km-wide Gusev Crater, a near-equatorial location in the southern hemisphere that orbital images had suggested might once have held a giant lake.

The investigation of this watery history got off to a slow start. Spirit initially found rocks that had undergone very limited alteration by exposure to moisture.

It was only after a 2.5km drive to nearby hills that the instrumented robot discovered rocks and soils that had experienced extensive exposure to water.

Nasa has spent more than $900m (£560m) on its Mars Exploration Rover programme, from design through to current operations. At the moment, the agency is spending about $20m a year.

The data acquired by the vehicles has generated about 100 scholarly papers, including special editions of the leading international journals Science and Nature.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/25/rip_spirit/
NASA kills comms with deceased Mars rover

alert
print
tweet

Bids farewell to Spirit

By Lester Haines • Get more from this author

Posted in Space, 25th May 2011 08:52 GMT

Free whitepaper – The financial case for cloud computing

NASA will today end attempts to contact its Spirit Mars rover, killed by lack of sunlight during a "stressful" Martian winter.

The agency last heard from Spirit on 22 March 2010, when it transmitted from the sand trap in which it had been stuck since April 2009. The orientation of its solar panels led scientists to conclude it probably wouldn't be able to generate enough power to survive a harsh Red Planet winter, and as the rover's internal temperature fell to an estimated -55°C, it was doomed to an icy death.

NASA explains: "Engineers' assessments in recent months have shown a very low probability for recovering communications with Spirit. Communications assets that have been used by the Spirit mission in the past, including NASA's Deep Space Network of antennas on Earth, plus two NASA Mars orbiters that can relay communications, now are needed to prepare for NASA's Mars Science Laboratory mission."

Dave Lavery, NASA's "program executive for solar system exploration", said: "We're now transitioning assets to support the November launch of our next generation Mars rover, Curiosity. However, while we no longer believe there is a realistic probability of hearing from Spirit, the Deep Space Network may occasionally listen for any faint signals when the schedule permits."

Spirit landed on Mars on 3 January 2004, followed by its twin, Opportunity, on 24 January. The pair were expected to operate for three months, but battled heroically on. Opportunity is still operational, and continues to trundle across a plain of windblown sand on a "long-term trek" towards a crater dubbed "Endeavour".

The rovers' principal investigator, Steve Squyres, said last year when Opportunity broke the "longevity record" for operating on the surface of Mars: "Even though we know we might never get there, Endeavour is the goal that drives our exploration." ®

also http://marsrover.nasa.gov/newsroom/pres ... 0525a.html

so yeh ones dead and it was the one with the broken wheel so i wasnt that wrong lol
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokeydogsmokey

When people are sat on something you want you make them an enemy

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 9348
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 pm

PostMon Sep 05, 2011 7:51 pm » by Freeyourmindnow


smokeydog wrote:heres one

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8481798.stm
Nasa accepts Spirit Mars rover 'stuck for good'
By Jonathan Amos
Science correspondent, BBC News

Artist's impression of rover on Mars (Nasa)
Spirit was given a primary mission on the Red Planet of three months

The US space agency (Nasa) has admitted defeat in its battle to free the Spirit rover from its Martian sand trap.

The vehicle became stuck in soft soil back in May last year and all the efforts to extricate it have failed.

Nasa says Spirit, which landed on the Red Planet just over six years ago, will now live out its remaining days as a static science station.

The robot geologist has taken thousands of images and found evidence in Mars' rocks of a wetter, warmer past.

"Spirit has encountered a golfer's worst nightmare - the sand trap that no matter how many strokes you take, you can't get out of it," said Doug McCuistion, director of the Mars exploration programme at Nasa headquarters in Washington DC.

"But this is not a day to mourn Spirit; this is not a day of loss at this point. Spirit will continue to make contributions to science."

Like a 'polar bear'

The robot's predicament has been exacerbated by the failure of two of its six wheels. Without the additional traction, the agency now accepts that further efforts to try to escape the soft soil will be fruitless.

Instead, the mission team is concentrating on trying to get the rover tilted in a manner that will maximise the amount of sunlight falling on its solar panels during the approaching winter months. Engineers have a plan to rock the vehicle back and forth to acquire a more favourable posture.

Even so, it is likely Spirit will maintain so little energy in its batteries that it will go into hibernation, perhaps as soon as April. It will not emerge from that state until August or September, when the Sun gets high enough in the Martian sky to power up the rover's systems.

"The rover will be like a polar bear, hibernating; and it could be for many months - of the order of six months," explained John Callas, Spirit's project manager at Nasa's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

"We have to be prepared to go through a period where we are not hearing from the rover for an extended length of time."

Far from being downbeat, Professor Steve Squyres, the rover's principal investigator, expressed some excitement at the scientific possibilities of a static vehicle.

He said the signal from a stationary Spirit could be tracked very accurately, to measure how much Mars wobbles on its axis. This could establish definitively whether the planet had a solid or a liquid core - information that scientists could use to better understand the planet's magnetic history.

This was, he said, "totally new science, never been done before - really fundamental stuff".

"This is something that I didn't really think very much about when we put a rover on the surface of Mars because we were thinking about the geology on the surface. But when you delve deeply into what this vehicle is capable of, you find new tricks; and it's something we're really excited about."

Watery past

Spirit was one of two rovers that Nasa landed on the planet in the January of 2004. The second vehicle, Opportunity, continues to roll freely on the surface.

Spirit was targeted at the 170km-wide Gusev Crater, a near-equatorial location in the southern hemisphere that orbital images had suggested might once have held a giant lake.

The investigation of this watery history got off to a slow start. Spirit initially found rocks that had undergone very limited alteration by exposure to moisture.

It was only after a 2.5km drive to nearby hills that the instrumented robot discovered rocks and soils that had experienced extensive exposure to water.

Nasa has spent more than $900m (£560m) on its Mars Exploration Rover programme, from design through to current operations. At the moment, the agency is spending about $20m a year.

The data acquired by the vehicles has generated about 100 scholarly papers, including special editions of the leading international journals Science and Nature.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/25/rip_spirit/
NASA kills comms with deceased Mars rover

alert
print
tweet

Bids farewell to Spirit

By Lester Haines • Get more from this author

Posted in Space, 25th May 2011 08:52 GMT

Free whitepaper – The financial case for cloud computing

NASA will today end attempts to contact its Spirit Mars rover, killed by lack of sunlight during a "stressful" Martian winter.

The agency last heard from Spirit on 22 March 2010, when it transmitted from the sand trap in which it had been stuck since April 2009. The orientation of its solar panels led scientists to conclude it probably wouldn't be able to generate enough power to survive a harsh Red Planet winter, and as the rover's internal temperature fell to an estimated -55°C, it was doomed to an icy death.

NASA explains: "Engineers' assessments in recent months have shown a very low probability for recovering communications with Spirit. Communications assets that have been used by the Spirit mission in the past, including NASA's Deep Space Network of antennas on Earth, plus two NASA Mars orbiters that can relay communications, now are needed to prepare for NASA's Mars Science Laboratory mission."

Dave Lavery, NASA's "program executive for solar system exploration", said: "We're now transitioning assets to support the November launch of our next generation Mars rover, Curiosity. However, while we no longer believe there is a realistic probability of hearing from Spirit, the Deep Space Network may occasionally listen for any faint signals when the schedule permits."

Spirit landed on Mars on 3 January 2004, followed by its twin, Opportunity, on 24 January. The pair were expected to operate for three months, but battled heroically on. Opportunity is still operational, and continues to trundle across a plain of windblown sand on a "long-term trek" towards a crater dubbed "Endeavour".

The rovers' principal investigator, Steve Squyres, said last year when Opportunity broke the "longevity record" for operating on the surface of Mars: "Even though we know we might never get there, Endeavour is the goal that drives our exploration." ®

also http://marsrover.nasa.gov/newsroom/pres ... 0525a.html

so yeh ones dead and it was the one with the broken wheel so i wasnt that wrong lol


:) good looking out :flop:


Next

  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook