Need help accessing youtube vids in central China

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 6:08 am » by Count187

I recently moved from L.A. to central China and can not access anything from youtube. I CAN access DiscloseTV and any youtube vids placed on it, so barring finding a way over the firewall, would appreciatye any uploads of interesting youtube content on this channel - AMTV, Gregory Mannarino, Hyper Report, Greg Hunter, SilverBullet/SilverShield, SGT Report, Wide Awake News, etc. All help is greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 6:34 am » by Seahawk

Welcome, Count.

Not sure if this will help, but try it. I'll see what else I can find.

Upload to Disclose.tv

VPN

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It’s basically a way of putting your whole computer in different place – virtually. So if you have a VPN, your computer acts like it’s in the United States, or Canada, or England – or wherever the VPN is hosted. And so if YouTube isn’t blocked in the USA (thank heavens) – then it won’t be blocked on your computer, even if you happen to physically be in China.

Pros –

If it’s a decent VPN, it will work to access YouTube in China, Facebook, Twitter – whatever you want.
It’s secure (i.e. no spying on what you’re sending).
The entire computer and all programs that use internet access will work as if they are in another location.

Cons –

You have to install something on your computer – which can slow the computer down, especially if you have a Mac.
It will only work on the device you installed it on.
In China, it often won’t work for mobile devices.

Proxies

A proxy is basically a website which will let you type in the site you want to see, and then instead of you accessing the site directly through your browser, you access it through this site as an intermediary. So if the proxy is located in a different location than you, it will show you the site the way you can see it in that location. So if your proxy is located in France, when you view YouTube through the proxy, it will act as if you are viewing YouTube in France.

Pros –

Nothing to install.
Can access it off any device.

Cons –

They often don’t work well for social media because the technology is complicated (Ajax, streaming video, etc.) – so if your goal is to access YouTube videos in China, it might not work.
China keeps blocking them one by one.
They only work for your browser, not other programs – say, Skype.
Usually not secure.

One other option, which I’ve used and can recommend – is a type of “web-based VPN” called Proxy Center.

It is a proxy – meaning it’s effectively putting your browser somewhere else, and you don’t have to install anything on your computer – but it’s secure and whoever’s responsible for the programming knows how to handle complicated technologies. YouTube worked perfectly, and I could share the important stuff with my friends on Facebook.

One big plus is that Proxy Center has a free trial, which doesn’t require ANY personal info to start (no email, no credit card) – so you can SEE that it’s going to work before you commit to anything.

How-to-access-youtube-in-china

Upload to Disclose.tv

We gather knowledge faster than we gather wisdom. - William Bell

Conspirator

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 7:44 am » by *WillEase*

Wow Hawk, that sounded pretty damned helpful to me.