need help curbing the cravings!!

Initiate

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 5:08 pm » by 1ofus

I gave it up cold turkey 17 years ago after smoking for over 20 plus years and it was not easy as there is a very powerful physical addiction to break.

I did as Poooooot suggested and ate a lot of sunflower seeds and pretzels, only problem with seeds is your mouth and tongue will get sore quickly. I always had a bag of pretzels with me. You should incorporate an excesize plan with the pretzels or any other mechanism as you will probably gain weight in this process and the exercise will help by itself anyway.

Psychologically, you need to convince yourself that your life will be much better without the addiction as it will, your food will taste much better and your health will improve. You don't have to quite forever, just don't smoke today.

In time the weight issue will stabilize and you will be much happier and healthier. As the days pass the fight to abstain will ease. Hang in there, you'll be glad if you do and upset with yourself if you don't.

Once you are victorious any self help change in your life will be easier to make because you will have already taught yourself how.

Good Luck! you can do this! :flop:

Super Moderator

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 5:09 pm » by ZetaRediculous

domdabears wrote:I quit with using V2 cigs.

On order.. £22 hope it's good that's two tobacco pouches!! Cheers Dom

Scouser012 wrote:Go and have sex or something, if you don't have a bird have a wank.

thanks for that dude, but she's not about and......
Perronick wrote:Sex is not the answer. It'll only remind you of the post-coitum one.

Perronick wrote:Sport is better, some aerobics will surely remind you of your miserable lung capacity.

It's p^%$£^& down outside and I have no intention of getting wet..... anyway, I'd only run to the shop!!!

Malogg wrote:Image

I have been smoking this stuff for the last half a year the crave is not as strong anymore has no addictive chemical additives

Also feel healthier

Yeah, and that's why your avatar is constantly smoking!! hehe.. Thanks man but I want stay clear of tobacco..

Poooooot wrote:the ecig works for when you're craving the action of smoking.

tea tree oil toothpicks help as well

sunflower seeds (keep your hand and mouth busy)

a rubber band on the wrist, snap everytime you are thinking about it (conditioning)

ooh, Ive got some tea tree oil knocking about somewhere... might have to use a chopstick though no wooden toothpicks.. for my hands I have a neo cube, which is just as frustrating as not having a ciggie...

Thanks guys, that, should keep me going for half an hour... actually Perronick, i might go for a run..... :sunny:

:bang; :bang; :bang; :bang; :bang; :bang;
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Super Moderator

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 5:14 pm » by ZetaRediculous

1ofus wrote:I gave it up cold turkey 17 years ago after smoking for over 20 plus years and it was not easy as there is a very powerful physical addiction to break.

I did as Poooooot suggested and ate a lot of sunflower seeds and pretzels, only problem with seeds is your mouth and tongue will get sore quickly. I always had a bag of pretzels with me. You should incorporate an excesize plan with the pretzels or any other mechanism as you will probably gain weight in this process and the exercise will help by itself anyway.

Psychologically, you need to convince yourself that your life will be much better without the addiction as it will, your food will taste much better and your health will improve. You don't have to quite forever, just don't smoke today.

In time the weight issue will stabilize and you will be much happier and healthier. As the days pass the fight to abstain will ease. Hang in there, you'll be glad if you do and upset with yourself if you don't.

Once you are victorious any self help change in your life will be easier to make because you will have already taught yourself how.

Good Luck! you can do this! :flop:

Well, thanks for that... I don't really do unhealthy snacks anyway... no chocolate at my place or crisps, but I do have some pumpkin seeds and a few bags of dried fruit...

I've been pretty good over the past week, it really was watching that damnable film yesterday with people lighting up every few minutes, really laid it on thick.....

As I just said I am going to go for a run.... and I'm not worried about weight, I'm skinny already, some weight gain will probably do me some good!!

Thanks for the positives.... 8-)
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Initiate

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 5:38 pm » by Pitchke

The first 3 weeks are like hell, after that it gets alot better... Your going to notice ashtray's are going to smell dirty, people who just smoked are smelling dirty... Quited smoking cigarettes for 5 years now. (Just smoked 2 joints this summer :p)

You need someting to distract you, something that keeps you busy. I played alot of video games when I quited. And I used alot of regular chewing gum (without aspartame)!

Super Moderator

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 5:46 pm » by ZetaRediculous

Pitchke wrote:The first 3 weeks are like hell, after that it gets alot better... Your going to notice ashtray's are going to smell dirty, people who just smoked are smelling dirty... Quited smoking cigarettes for 5 years now. (Just smoked 2 joints this summer :p)

You need someting to distract you, something that keeps you busy. I played alot of video games when I quited. And I used alot of regular chewing gum (without aspartame)!

I got rid of the ashtrays the day I give up.....the thought of them being around doesn't suit..

Well done on 5 years dude.. I used to smoke weed ,but can't anymore due to works drug policy. I do have my PS3 but really have very little interest in it at the moment...

My flast is probably the cleanest it has ever been though!!
― Terry Pratchett

Writer

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 5:51 pm » by Fourscorn

Keith Richards said the first 3 days are hell then u feel a little better! For me smoke 20 yrs quit cold a year ago. 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months are your first hurdles I am going for 3 years now only 2 to go! Try hitting the bong and you will forget about the craving for a while and atleast you get something out of it! And yes after a year I still get mad cravings!! Good Luck :clapper:

Initiate

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 5:53 pm » by Scouser012

Try to avoid alcohol too, i know loads of people who were doing well on giving up smoking until they had a drink.

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 5:53 pm » by Kaarmaa

A friend of mine chewed on licorice sticks when she was craving, helped her...

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 5:53 pm » by Malogg

No problem ZetaRediculous that pueblo is for heavy smokers that do already smoke tabacco and want to cut down , I ust to smoke DRUM and can no longer smoke it , tried a few weeks ago and the added chems made me ill the next day but with Pueblo my lungs feel alot better than they ust to also planning quitting next year as I am in the middle of quitting weed lol cut right down I aint bought a bit of solids for a month now but must admit had a wee binge of weed at the weekend but my target date is to stop by the end of Devils day . But me smoking Pueblo is just my personal step to quitting the habit as I have noticed I do not constantly need a fkn smoke in my mouth and can go for longer with out one my plan is just to stop smoking dead sometime next year because I have a fkn major amount of things to do in life from now until Easter and the stress ima gonna need Mr JD and smoking pubes more than fkn I ever have in the next while ahahahaha the joys of stress

:lol:

I stopped smoking filtered ciggys years ago because it is the micro fibers in the filter that get trapped in the lungs not the chems or the tar but it is these fibers that block the pathways of the lungs as tar and chems collect on these fibers and the lungs can not pass these fibers and this I think is the main reason folk get lung infections and cancer due to the build up of toxic scum trapped on these fibers in the lungs. :rtft:
Full video~ Brian Harvey - Invisible

Super Moderator

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 6:18 pm » by ZetaRediculous

Fourscorn wrote:Keith Richards said the first 3 days are hell then u feel a little better! For me smoke 20 yrs quit cold a year ago. 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months are your first hurdles I am going for 3 years now only 2 to go! Try hitting the bong and you will forget about the craving for a while and atleast you get something out of it! And yes after a year I still get mad cravings!! Good Luck :clapper:

At the moment every three minutes is a struggle!! hehe... I'd watch out using all those 3's though, some on this site might get the wrong idea! :peep:

Scouser012 wrote:Try to avoid alcohol too, i know loads of people who were doing well on giving up smoking until they had a drink.

yeah, don't I know it... I got a bottle of rum, and a few bottles of wine knocking about and they starting to look a bit tasty!!

Kaarmaa wrote:A friend of mine chewed on licorice sticks when she was craving, helped her...

MMMMM... liquorice... yeah. that's doable.... It's on the shopping list!

Malogg wrote:No problem ZetaRediculous that pueblo is for heavy smokers that do already smoke tabacco and want to cut down , I ust to smoke DRUM and can no longer smoke it , tried a few weeks ago and the added chems made me ill the next day but with Pueblo my lungs feel alot better than they ust to also planning quitting next year as I am in the middle of quitting weed lol cut right down I aint bought a bit of solids for a month now but must admit had a wee binge of weed at the weekend but my target date is to stop by the end of Devils day . But me smoking Pueblo is just my personal step to quitting the habit as I have noticed I do not constantly need a fkn smoke in my mouth and can go for longer with out one my plan is just to stop smoking dead sometime next year because I have a fkn major amount of things to do in life from now until Easter and the stress ima gonna need Mr JD and smoking pubes more than fkn I ever have in the next while ahahahaha the joys of stress

:lol:

I stopped smoking filtered ciggys years ago because it is the micro fibers in the filter that get trapped in the lungs not the chems or the tar but it is these fibers that block the pathways of the lungs as tar and chems collect on these fibers and the lungs can not pass these fibers and this I think is the main reason folk get lung infections and cancer due to the build up of toxic scum trapped on these fibers in the lungs. :rtft:

Yeah, I was a loose tobacco smoker, usually Drum, Samson or GV... never really smoked filter cigarettes, even my rollies always had a roach in them. I wish I could have a quick toke on mighty fine green s&$£! never really got into solids in the same way.

If the slowly cutting down is working for you, good on you man. I know I couldn't do it like that. I had to stop dead, or I'd always find an excuse to carry on...
― Terry Pratchett

PreviousNext