New French President plans to ban homework because it's 'not

Conspirator

PostWed Oct 17, 2012 9:48 pm » by Mozi!!a

Guys What You Think about This. Good Or Bad Ide. I Think Its Good :flop:

New French President plans to ban homework because it's 'not fair on poor kids'

Children in France already have lessons just four days a week. And they get two hours each day for lunch and enjoy longer school holidays.

But after President François Hollande's latest education announcement, their British counterparts will really have good reason to be envious.

Mr Hollande has said he will ban schools from giving their pupils homework as part of a series of reforms to overhaul the country’s education system.

The nation's new government says it is unfair that some children get help from their parents at home while children who come from disadvantaged families don't.

The government also argues that primary schoolchildren risk classroom burnout, and is moving to help them cope.

As a candidate, President Francois Hollande promised to change things by adding a fifth day of classes on Wednesday while shortening the school day.

For France, it's something of a revolutionary idea that would overturn more than a century of school tradition. The thinking is that the days are too full for young children under the current system and that Wednesday free time could be put to more productive use.

'France has the shortest school year and the longest day,' Hollande said at the time, promising change.

His education minister, Vincent Peillon, will decide this month how to carry out the reform. He has said he may also compensate for a shorter school day by trimming France's sacred summer vacation. A panel of experts will present their conclusions on Friday, and the president is expected to address the issue on Tuesday.

RM :rtft:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... forms.html

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 1:19 am » by Daemonfoe

I've always thought homework was bullshit. The teacher is getting paid to teach you on their time, not your time. I can't count how many teacher I've had that put on films or told us to read a book and answer questions on it at home. Why is the teacher even there if they can't teach, but instead rely on a film or a book to do the work for them? How can they even tell when someone has a developmental problem that hinders them while reading or watching a film?

I know any time I had to sit though a movie it was nap time, even if I wanted to stay awake.
The two choices we have are something starting from nothing, or something existing infinitely. These are both paradoxes. The existence of everything is therefore a paradox. -daemonfoe

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 1:57 am » by Cia212

Daemonfoe wrote:I've always thought homework was bullshit. The teacher is getting paid to teach you on their time, not your time. I can't count how many teacher I've had that put on films or told us to read a book and answer questions on it at home. Why is the teacher even there if they can't teach, but instead rely on a film or a book to do the work for them? How can they even tell when someone has a developmental problem that hinders them while reading or watching a film?

I know any time I had to sit though a movie it was nap time, even if I wanted to stay awake.

Homework is for practicing the lessons learned during the day, with the hope that the practice will aid retention. It has a place.

As for France, poor kids don't get help at home with homework? Wouldn't that mean they get smarter by having to figure it out on their own?

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 2:00 am » by Opalserpent

I agree homework should be banned. A good teacher will not need to give the child homework.

Why make a child hate school more then they already do? We can't all be nerderlingers.
Live by the Terror, Die by the Terror.