New Zombie-Creating Fungi Discovered (VIDEO)

Conspirator

PostFri Mar 04, 2011 8:51 pm » by Phaeton

WTF.. :shock:

This is surreal.

Four new species of the zombifying fungi, members of the Ophiocordyceps (or just Cordyceps) genus have apparently been discovered. These fungi are the sworn enemy of tropical ants and other insects, infecting them and causing their unusual behavior, according to Mongabay.

From LiveScience:

Once it infects an ant, the fungus uses as-yet-unidentified chemicals to control the ant's behavior, [study researcher David] Hughes told LiveScience. It directs the ant to leave its colony (a very un-ant-like thing to do) and bite down on the underside of a leaf -- the ant's soon-to-be resting place. Once it is killed by the fungus, the ant remains anchored in place, thanks to its death grip on the leaf.

Ultimately, the fungus produces a long stalk that protrudes from the ant's head, shooting spores out in the hopes of infecting other ants. Two of the four newly discovered species also sprouted smaller stalks elsewhere, including from the victim's feet and lower leg joints - the equivalent of knees.

The video below, from Planet Earth, gives an incredible time-lapsed view of what Cordyceps fungi can do.

The discovery of these four new Cordyceps species, each specific to a different ant in the Atlantic Forest in Brazil, will help scientists study the role of zombie fungi in a degraded habitat, reports Mongabay. The initial paper on the new fungi was published in the open-access journal, PloS ONE.

WATCH (Footage of a previously discovered Cordyceps species released by the BBC's Planet Earth in 2006.):

[youtube]XuKjBIBBAL8&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

:dunno:
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music"
"All our science measured against reality, is primitive and childlike - yet, in contemporary consensus, its the most precious thing we have"

Upload to Disclose.tv

Initiate

PostFri Mar 04, 2011 9:05 pm » by Probablysane

Question is, would you know you were being controlled by a mushroom? :p
Happiness is subjective ;)

Master Conspirator

PostFri Mar 04, 2011 9:08 pm » by Drjones

Excellent post, four new species of cordyceps, hmm, probably means four new medicinal mushrooms that can be used for enhanced human health. I am personally well aware of the amazing benefits of original cordyceps, so this actually excites me rather than feeling queasy. I suggest all sceptics to do a one month course of cordyceps, preferably the dragon herbs brand or mushroom science product, fortunately all cordyceps is pretty good even the cheapest stuff, like anything some is better than others. :flop:

I'd also like to add with regards to the TCM herbs how did the ancient daoists know things like cordyceps would be beneficial for human health ? It would be the last thing you'd expect a highly potent medicine to come from, a fungus that invades and kills caterpillars. I guess this must be advanced knowledge of the universe. I'm currently reading about TCM, folks this is the future, the focus is health, being healthy and staying healthy,never sick. With the use of the herbs all this and more is possible, ahh but then you see the EU is looking to ban just about every herb in existence. Feel me ? :oops:

Initiate

PostFri Mar 04, 2011 9:15 pm » by Tntbw

That video was great. Here is a little known fact. The largest known organism in the world is a fungus in North America. We are talking about an organism that stretches almost 4 square miles in mass, and it is not a one time fluke, apparently there are several just like it.

Strange but True: The Largest Organism on Earth Is a Fungus

Next time you purchase white button mushrooms at the grocery store, just remember, they may be cute and bite-size but they have a relative out west that occupies some 2,384 acres (965 hectares) of soil in Oregon's Blue Mountains. Put another way, this humongous fungus would encompass 1,665 football fields, or nearly four square miles (10 square kilometers) of turf.

The discovery of this giant Armillaria ostoyae in 1998 heralded a new record holder for the title of the world's largest known organism, believed by most to be the 110-foot- (33.5-meter-) long, 200-ton blue whale. Based on its current growth rate, the fungus is estimated to be 2,400 years old but could be as ancient as 8,650 years, which would earn it a place among the oldest living organisms as well.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -is-fungus

Initiate

PostFri Mar 04, 2011 9:56 pm » by Taintedsample

Awesssoommmme post!

The Aspen tree (Populus tremuloides) forms large stands of genetically identical trees (technically, stems) connected by a single underground root system. These trees form through root sprouts coming off an original parent tree, though the root system may not remain a single unit in all specimens. The largest known fully-connected Aspen is a grove in Utah nicknamed Pando, and some experts call it the largest organism in the world,[1] by mass or volume.[2] It covers 0.43 km2 (106 acres) and is estimated to weigh 6,600 short tons (6,000 t).[3]

Conspirator

PostSat Mar 05, 2011 12:45 pm » by Phaeton

brianhook10 wrote:I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it.

<ahref="http://www.seobaba.com/search_engine_promotion_london_uk/search_engine_promotion_london_uk.html"> Seo London</a>

Fuckin spammers. You know the link identifies itself as a commercial spam dont you?
Stupid bugger.
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music"
"All our science measured against reality, is primitive and childlike - yet, in contemporary consensus, its the most precious thing we have"

Upload to Disclose.tv

Conspirator

PostSun Mar 13, 2011 1:42 pm » by Phaeton

:think:

Upload to Disclose.tv

Initiate

PostTue Apr 12, 2011 3:58 pm » by Djpakkal

incredible how nature keeps it's self cleaning and in balance, Im just waiting until it gona start with us ... Altough when seeing some people crawling around I think they are the fungus poisoning them selfs and others .... :dancing: