Newt Gingrich promises moon colony by 2020; 51 us state

Initiate

PostFri Jan 27, 2012 7:31 am » by Disclosed

Newt Gingrich promises to build a moon colony by 2020; make it a U.S. state

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology- ... 03078.html

The race for the Republican presidential nomination is about to blast off into outer space: Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich announced that, if elected, he'd establish a colony on the moon by 2020.

In a speech to supporters on the Florida space coast, Gingrich called for a "grandiose" effort to colonize space. "It's the second great launch of the adventure John F. Kennedy started," said Gingrich.

Gingrich opened up the possibility of the moon becoming the 51st state, something he believes could happen once a permanent settlement reaches a population of 13,000 Americans. While a 1967 United Nations document says that no one country can claim sovereignty over the moon, the U.S., Russia, and China failed to sign a more recent U.N. treaty to settle the question of who owns the moon.

The bold move hopes to boost the former speaker's presidential campaign in the Sunshine State, where space exploration remains a big industry. Florida will hold its GOP presidential primary vote on Tuesday, January 31
what it means to become a magi: building up a resistance to the bullshit. samuelthemule

Initiate

PostFri Jan 27, 2012 7:42 am » by Disclosed

Some of the replies to this article i found to be entertaining:

Maybe he'll re-locate all of Washington to the moon and do the rest of us a huge favor.

And he plans to pay for it by.... Selling "Moon Bonds"?

...and, you thought no one could out-crazy Michelle Bachmann!

Newt...why not pitch a tent on Uranus!

Glad Newt has his priorities straight. I love how when Obama mentions anything to improve current life situations here on EARTH, the Republicans are quick to say "spending is out of control"..."future generations will have to pay for this"..."no more blank checks". But a Moon colony....yea that should be cheap.

With stories like this, The Onion will soon no longer be necessary.

Newt, please move back when Calista is spraying that head,you've been inhaling too much.

Just because NEWT'S from a different PLANET, doesn't mean WE wanna go there!!

Doesn't he realize that this whole moon idea has a dark side?

What are your comments?
what it means to become a magi: building up a resistance to the bullshit. samuelthemule

Conspirator

PostFri Jan 27, 2012 8:12 am » by Jet17

Newt Gingrich also promised some lucky (unlucky?) lady that he would be with her forever....

3 times.

2 times by telling another woman he loved someone else too....
*View my post history under former usernames: JetXVII, Epicfailure, Slamgunshark*

DJ Jesus died for your Spins!

Conspirator

PostFri Jan 27, 2012 8:48 am » by Iwanci

Vote for him, he wouldn’t lie to you guys....
Fortes fortuna iuvat

Initiate

PostFri Jan 27, 2012 12:53 pm » by Disclosed

Thanks for the comments guys!

Here is my favorite which is also above:

"With stories like this, The Onion will soon no longer be necessary."

I feel it is a joke coming from Newt that he is indirectly comparing himself to JFK in the article!

It is like he is subconsciously trying to tell us that if we elect him he will take over where JFK left off.

Initiate

PostFri Jan 27, 2012 7:41 pm » by Glassjaw667

I can't remember what the link was, but there was a company selling the moon by the acre for like 100$ per acre. I will Google it. I wonder if those people who bought the 'property' complete with ownership certificates will have to pay landowner taxes... :alien51:

EDIT : Not sure if this is the site I saw several years ago or not, but this place 'The Lunar Embassy' claims it is the only authorized 'retailer' of property on the Moon, Mars, Venus AND Mercury.

http://www.lunarembassy.com/
They sell it by the acre at around 19.95$-22.95$, and you get a 'Lunar Deed' as well as a 'certified' copy of the 'Lunar Bill of Rights'. Nice... :badair:

I can guarantee one of two things. Either the people who bought this will be required to 'forfeit' their portions of the Moon they 'own', or the government will charge them the same taxes they do any landowner. :D

EDIT#2 : They also charge 1.51$ 'Lunar tax' as well as 12.50$ shipping and handling. So you pay about 45$ per acre, and they claim they are the only authorized retailer of Lunar/Extraterrestrial property. So if there is an alien base on the Moon, they may be trespassing on your property. Just sayin.
Last edited by Glassjaw667 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Super Moderator

PostFri Jan 27, 2012 7:46 pm » by domdabears

He never said anything about it becoming the 51st state.
They were talking about Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state.

And no one else is on board with his idea of the moon thing.
Ron Paul said only if it was a private sector that wanted to do it. He said if their were more bill gates and warren buffets in the world (MONEY) then it could be done. But we don't have any money to do this.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Initiate

PostFri Jan 27, 2012 7:47 pm » by Bettyboolean

Moon base, yeh thatll happen :D
ImageImage

Initiate

PostFri Jan 27, 2012 8:32 pm » by Glassjaw667

So guys, should I buy a few acres of Mars and look for 'Martian Skulls' or a few acres of the Moon and look for 'Alien bases' on the Dark Side?

Initiate

PostSat Jan 28, 2012 12:08 am » by FullDisclosure

Well, Obama promised plenty of "Change" and we all experienced how that went...

I'm not questioning Newt's motives but his ability to successfully push this idea through the bureaucracy and make it reality.

I try not to troll, but sometimes people just fucking deserve it.

Next