No more recording cops with an iPhone

Conspirator

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 9:23 am » by Cia212

No more recording cops with an iPhone. Now police can designate an area as "sensitive" and render all recording functions inoperable on Apple devices. That area can be anywhere, a crime scene, a patrol car, a heavy-handed cop with a reputation for violence. It's not implemented yet, but I'm sure it'll be incorporated soon. I wonder if Steve would have approved. Google will follow...

Apple has patented a piece of technology which would allow government and police to block transmission of information, including video and photographs, from any public gathering or venue they deem “sensitive”, and “protected from externalities.”
­In other words, these powers will have control over what can and cannot be documented on wireless devices during any public event.

And while the company says the affected sites are to be mostly cinemas, theaters, concert grounds and similar locations, Apple Inc. also says “covert police or government operations may require complete ‘blackout’ conditions.”

“Additionally,” Apple says,” the wireless transmission of sensitive information to a remote source is one example of a threat to security. This sensitive information could be anything from classified government information to questions or answers to an examination administered in an academic setting.”

The statement led many to believe that authorities and police could now use the patented feature during protests or rallies to block the transmission of video footage and photographs from the scene, including those of police brutality, which at times of major events immediately flood news networks and video websites.

Apple patented the means to transmit an encoded signal to all wireless devices, commanding them to disable recording functions.

Those policies would be activated by GPS, and WiFi or mobile base-stations, which would ring-fence ("geofence") around a building or a “sensitive area” to prevent phone cameras from taking pictures or recording video.

Apple may implement the technology, but it would not be Apple's decision to activate the “feature” – it would be down governments, businesses and network owners to set such policies, analyzes ZDNet technology website.

Having invented one of the most sophisticated mobile devices, Apple now appears to be looking for ways to restrict its use.

“As wireless devices such as cellular telephones, pagers, personal media devices and smartphones become ubiquitous, more and more people are carrying these devices in various social and professional settings,” it explains in the patent. “The result is that these wireless devices can often annoy, frustrate, and even threaten people in sensitive venues.”

The company’s listed “sensitive” venues so far include mostly meetings, the presentation of movies, religious ceremonies, weddings, funerals, academic lectures, and test-taking environments.

http://rt.com/news/apple-patent-transmission-block-408/

Conspirator

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 10:00 am » by RATRODROB

Sounds like apple is in bed with the gooberment, oh well, I will still be able to use my camcorder and camera. :owned:

RRR
The more people i meet, the more i like my dog

Conspirator

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 1:03 pm » by Temps13

Fucking BASTARDS..
Image Image
IRMENSUL13

Super Moderator

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 1:16 pm » by Slith

Doesn't surprise me. They wouldn't want to be caught doing anything illegal now..would they :scary:

Upload to Disclose.tv

Upload to Disclose.tv

Upload to Disclose.tv

I know the last one is a car cam. Just trying to make a point

Canubis wrote:

u fell for my missle tow.....its just a pek..... im perma banned 3 times for fags.... so smooch! it

SMAK ME BITCH on the lips....

xmass is coming hard...

Initiate

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 4:37 pm » by Domeika

I've often wondered that with today's technology, why hasn't the legal industry capitalized more on real time viedo and audio. If they did, there might be an avenue to make this null and void. What I mean is, if for example you have a law firm as a front, much the same way that law firms advertise on television in the small print that your case "might not be handled by them directly..." so basically they hand your case off to another and possibly more local firm and they get a sliver of the setlement.

So why not do that with an app? Sign up for legal services before you need them or on demand and instantly have a lawyer in video chat, before the officer even gets to your car window, or to your front door. By doing so, the lawyer could speak and been seen and could intervene and in many cases it would be a whole different outcome from immediately cleaning up the cop's behavior to stopping the client from saying anything incriminating, since most people's own statements sink them.

How it relates to this is that by blocking people's use of technology they are blocking their access to their lawyer.....a no no.

I'm actually surprised that by now that "We, Dickum, & How" don't have their own drones over major highways at this point......fire with fire kind of thing.

Just a thougt

Conspirator

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 5:00 pm » by Cia212

Domeika wrote:So why not do that with an app? Sign up for legal services before you need them or on demand and instantly have a lawyer in video chat, before the officer even gets to your car window, or to your front door. By doing so, the lawyer could speak and been seen and could intervene and in many cases it would be a whole different outcome from immediately cleaning up the cop's behavior to stopping the client from saying anything incriminating, since most people's own statements sink them.

I'm a lawyer, and I can tell you that any attorney who would be instantly available isn't worth the fee. But you could have an app (or just a card) that explained your rights for various situations. Even a pre-recorded video so a dim-witted cop could understand it. Except that, 9 times out of 10, you would talk your way into trouble. That's the real problem with a lot of these videos, the people are so confrontational that the officer is going to look extra hard for anything incriminating. And they can usually find something - if nothing else, they can follow you around for a while until you make a traffic error. Most of the things they find will get dropped or thrown out in court, but, by that point, you've wasted a lot of time and money...all of which can be avoided by just handling the officer better.

Knowing your rights is important, but it's usually better to know how to effectively speak to officers...and when to shut up.

Initiate

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 5:17 pm » by Domeika

Cia212 wrote:
Domeika wrote:So why not do that with an app? Sign up for legal services before you need them or on demand and instantly have a lawyer in video chat, before the officer even gets to your car window, or to your front door. By doing so, the lawyer could speak and been seen and could intervene and in many cases it would be a whole different outcome from immediately cleaning up the cop's behavior to stopping the client from saying anything incriminating, since most people's own statements sink them.

I'm a lawyer, and I can tell you that any attorney who would be instantly available isn't worth the fee. But you could have an app (or just a card) that explained your rights for various situations. Even a pre-recorded video so a dim-witted cop could understand it. Except that, 9 times out of 10, you would talk your way into trouble. That's the real problem with a lot of these videos, the people are so confrontational that the officer is going to look extra hard for anything incriminating. And they can usually find something - if nothing else, they can follow you around for a while until you make a traffic error. Most of the things they find will get dropped or thrown out in court, but, by that point, you've wasted a lot of time and money...all of which can be avoided by just handling the officer better.

Knowing your rights is important, but it's usually better to know how to effectively speak to officers...and when to shut up.

I absolutely agree that most of these problems are brought on by the people themselves. You shouldn't need to pay someone to tell you to shut up, but for those that do, well, it's more money in your pocket as a lawyer. For the people that want to be confrontational, I have no idea what is going through their heads because you will not win that fight. Not in the street anyway, just cooperate and save the argument for court.

Super Moderator

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 5:54 pm » by Spock

This just gives everyone reason to jailbreak their iPhones and stop relying solely on Apple.

Initiate

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 6:23 pm » by G3n3sis

And so begins the steady decline of Apple.
"The Sign of an Educated Mind is that, Which can Entertain a Notion or Idea Without Accepting it"