Philosophical well being etc : D

Super Moderator

PostWed Mar 03, 2010 5:45 pm » by TheDuck

I think philosophy is very good for the soul so here we go, can't make this too extensive as am in a mini-tourney, (I'm leading by a fair way so it shouldn't be too much of a problem), anyway...
Consider this....
The great minds throughout the centuries have pondered the same questions as you and I. Often, I have found the clearest thoughts not in the lengthy volumes of admittedly great works by the likes of Plato, Descartes, Neitzsche, or I Ching, but rather in their succinct quotations. I view quotations as the condensation of wisdom. They have played an important role in my personal philosophies and I am sharing some of my favorites here. Most mirror the views that I now hold as true. Many have become 'foundation stone' guiding personal principles for me to follow, such as Burke's 'good men over evil'. There are also some here that just gave me pause to think about the world a little differently...
Guess we should start with Jesus...

What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul.
- Jesus Christ

One person with a belief is equal to ninety-nine who have only interests.
- John Stuart Mill Straight up

Man was born free, and everywhere he is in chains
- Jean Jacques Rousseau

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.
- Edmund Burke

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
- Oscar Wilde

A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin < he should know!

Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power.
- Lao Tzu
History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
- Martin Luther King Jr < Would have liked to have met this man... :flop:

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
- C S Lewis < Agreed

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Winston Churchill < hopefully Churchy

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
~Andre Gide

Philosophy is life's dry-nurse, who can take care of us - but not suckle us.
~Soren Kierkegaard

How long has it been since someone touched part of you other than your body?
~Laurel Hoodwrit
Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland < Good one

No matter where you go or what you do, you live your entire life within the confines of your head.
~Terry Josephson
I doubt one could live in the darkness, but one could probably survive. ~Nathaniel LeTonnerre < for Teloc

One day, someone showed me a glass of water that was half full. And he said, "Is it half full or half empty?" So I drank the water. No more problem.
~Alexander Jodorowsky :lol:

When I break any of the chains that bind me I feel that I make myself smaller. ~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin < quite true

A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top.

"The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin

"Until philosophers are kings, or the kings and princes of this world have the spirit and power of philosophy, and political greatness and wisdom meet in one.... cities will never have rest from their evils-no, nor the human race." -Plato

"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...." -Carl Zwanzig :D
"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms..." Adolph Hitler :top: Gotta have a bit o' Hitler...

All successful people men and women are big dreamers. They imagine what their future could be, ideal in every respect, and then they work every day toward their distant vision, that goal or purpose.
- Brian Tracy :cheers:

Thanks for reading I'll leave you with one more quote.

Dance as though no one is watching
Love as though you've never been hurt
Sing as though no one can hear you
Live as though heaven is on earth.
Souza
www.Vigusto.com - Premium E-liquid

"The Truth Cannot Be Told... It Must Be Realized"

Super Moderator

PostWed Mar 03, 2010 5:57 pm » by TheDuck

Crap can't forget Bruce Lee...

One of the great martial artists of our time had this to say:
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless–like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can *flow* or it can *crash*! Be water, my friend.”
I swear he's read the Art Of War...

“Water shapes it course according to the nature of the ground over which it flows; the soldier works out his victory in relation to the foe whom he is facing. Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions. He who can modify his tactics in relation to his opponent and thereby succeed in winning, may be called a heaven-born captain.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Another one of Lee that I love:

Don't think, feel!
It is like a finger pointing away to the moon.
Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.

From Enter The Dragon (I have it on a DnB tune, sick :flop: )

Initiate

PostWed Mar 03, 2010 6:07 pm » by Chickamaka

"Those who have one foot in the canoe, and one foot in the boat, are going to fall into the river." Tuscarora

A lie is easy to receive. The truth can take searching.

"If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies in yourself. " Minquass

"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future." Lumbee

"It is easy to be brave from a distance." Omaha

"He who would do great things should not attempt them all alone." Seneca

"A good chief gives, he does not take." Mohawk

"Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas." Blackfoot
Our people are not gone they are merely lost, they cannot find their path forward because they do not know where they have come from.

Super Moderator

PostWed Mar 03, 2010 6:16 pm » by TheDuck

Good stuff man!

"If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies in yourself." < A lot of people need to remember this, especially in the Western world...

Master Conspirator

PostWed Mar 03, 2010 6:19 pm » by Drjones

Brilliant Duck,i've not read em all,will do though.
Who says we cannot make up our own words of wisdom aswell.

Mine is- 'What's the point of trying,if trying is not the point' ;)

Super Moderator

PostWed Mar 03, 2010 6:30 pm » by TheDuck

drjones wrote:Brilliant Duck,i've not read em all,will do though.

Cheers man, and yeh definitely make up your own, here's some of mine from what I can remember:

"It takes a brave man to be himself all of the time"

"Reach for the stars and you might touch the Moon"

Not the best but you know, we try.

Super Moderator

PostWed Mar 03, 2010 6:37 pm » by TheDuck

Whenever you're pissed off, just remember that it's better than being pissed on. :lol:

The following is the philosophy of Charles Schultz, the creator of the "Peanuts" comic strip. You don't have to actually answer the questions. Just read the e-mail straight through, and you'll get the point.

1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.

2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.

3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America.

4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.

5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winner for best actor and actress.

6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners.

How did you do?

The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Acheivements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.

Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one:

1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.

2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.

3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.

4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.

5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.

Easier?

The lesson: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.

Pass this on to those people who have made a difference in your life. "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." (Charles Schultz)

If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look similar to this: 57 Asians; 21 Europeans; 14 from the Western Hemisphere; 8 Africans; 52 would be female; 48 would be male; 70 would be non-white; 30 would be white; 70 would be non-Christian; 30 would be Christian; 89 would be heterosexual; 11 would be homosexual; 6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and all 6 would be from the United States.; 80 would live in substandard housing; 70 would be unable to read; 50 would suffer from malnutrition; 1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth; 1 would have a college education; 1 would own a computer: When one considers our world from such an incredibly compressed perspective, the need for both tolerance and understanding becomes glaringly apparent.

Master Conspirator

PostWed Mar 03, 2010 6:47 pm » by Drjones

theduck wrote:
drjones wrote:Brilliant Duck,i've not read em all,will do though.

Cheers man, and yeh definitely make up your own, here's some of mine from what I can remember:

"It takes a brave man to be himself all of the time"

"Reach for the stars and you might touch the Moon"

Not the best but you know, we try.

:flop: :flop:

Conspirator

PostWed Mar 03, 2010 6:51 pm » by Mep630

theduck wrote:Whenever you're pissed off, just remember that it's better than being pissed on. :lol:

The following is the philosophy of Charles Schultz, the creator of the "Peanuts" comic strip. You don't have to actually answer the questions. Just read the e-mail straight through, and you'll get the point.

1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.

2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.

3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America.

4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.

5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winner for best actor and actress.

6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners.

How did you do?

The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Acheivements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.

Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one:

1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.

2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.

3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.

4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.

5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.

Easier?

The lesson: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.

Pass this on to those people who have made a difference in your life. "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." (Charles Schultz)

If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look similar to this: 57 Asians; 21 Europeans; 14 from the Western Hemisphere; 8 Africans; 52 would be female; 48 would be male; 70 would be non-white; 30 would be white; 70 would be non-Christian; 30 would be Christian; 89 would be heterosexual; 11 would be homosexual; 6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and all 6 would be from the United States.; 80 would live in substandard housing; 70 would be unable to read; 50 would suffer from malnutrition; 1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth; 1 would have a college education; 1 would own a computer: When one considers our world from such an incredibly compressed perspective, the need for both tolerance and understanding becomes glaringly apparent.
Well said... Now if only I can find lowsix's point of view on this again... lol

If you help the Oppressors, eventually you and your family will be oppressed.

www.mind-wars.com

Master Conspirator

PostWed Mar 03, 2010 7:54 pm » by Drjones

:flop:
theduck wrote:Crap can't forget Bruce Lee...

One of the great martial artists of our time had this to say:
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless–like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can *flow* or it can *crash*! Be water, my friend.”
I swear he's read the Art Of War...

“Water shapes it course according to the nature of the ground over which it flows; the soldier works out his victory in relation to the foe whom he is facing. Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions. He who can modify his tactics in relation to his opponent and thereby succeed in winning, may be called a heaven-born captain.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Another one of Lee that I love:

Don't think, feel!
It is like a finger pointing away to the moon.
Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.

From Enter The Dragon (I have it on a DnB tune, sick :flop: )

Yeah,Bruce quotes are the best.Once again i can't help but feel the almost identical idealogy in the star wars movies,the philosophy of the jedi...of yoda-
'Feel the force flllow..yess'
'A jedi's strength flows from the force'
etc etc

Next