Philosophy

Super Moderator

PostFri May 14, 2010 2:05 pm » by TheDuck

Image is the study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language. It is distinguished from other ways of addressing fundamental questions (such as mysticism, myth, or the arts) by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument. The word "Philosophy" comes from the Greek φιλοσοφία [philosophia], which literally means "love of wisdom".

Encyclopedias/Portals

Greek/Roman Philosophy

Chinese/Indian Philosophy

16th-18th Century Philosophy

19th Century Philosophy

Refer to Encyclopedias and other links.

20th Century Philosophy

The 20th Century is where everything gets more complicated. Philosophy has become more specialized and fragmented than ever. Perhaps this is one of the contributing factors in its decline as a scholastic subject and common topic of discussion. When looking at this area, it is perhaps better to focus on one particular school of thought for a while. But a general reading of the 20th Century philosophers will introduce you to the more common areas, and you will need that before you can specify. That is unless you have a university lecturer to guide you, in which case these resources are here to help you find what you specifically want.

Article Sites

JStor: Journal Article Archive - You will need a university proxy to view this site (e.g. Athens), but if you can use it, the Philosophy papers that they carry are brilliant.
    CTheory.net - A special mention needs to go to this site. I have provided the portal page of the site. It links to the currently published articles/reviews (CTheory.net link), and it also links to the Canadian Journal of Political and Social Theory's archives (CTheory Digital Library link), which are epic to say the least. Don't miss this if you need up to date Philology criticism or cultural/politcal interpretation. This is solely 20th Century philosophy, but it often grounds itself in historical analysis.

Rhetorical Aids

The Fallacy Files - Clear explanations of every fallacy, link to literature dealing with each fallacy in depth and examples to provide context. It's fracking excellent.

Philosophy ebooks someone has collected over the years.(920MB torrent)

Main philosophers included are: Aquinas, Aristotle, Baudrillard, Berkeley, Chomsky,
Confucius, Dennett, Descartes, Dreyfus, Fodor, Foucault, Frege, Fuller, Hegel, Heidegger, Hobbes, Hume, Kant, Kierkegaard, Kripke, Leibniz, Levinas, Locke, Marx, Montaigne, Nietzsche, Pascal, Peirce, Plato, Quine, Rand, Rousseau, Russell, Searle, Spinoza, Voltaire, & Wittgenstein.

Many additional philosophy ebooks are included, such as companions to philosophy & philosophy encyclopedias & dictionaries.

This also contains Leonardo Da Vinci's Notebooks, just for fun.

Torrent: Western Philosophy Ebook Collection

Pdf: Project Gutenberg’s An Investigation of the Laws of Thought, by George Boole

All I did was gather from different sources and re-arrange and add etc... so please don't give me credit.

"The Truth Cannot Be Told... It Must Be Realized"

Super Moderator

PostFri May 14, 2010 4:42 pm » by TheDuck

What did the Buddhist say to the hot dog vender?

"Make me one with everything."

What did the hot dog vender say when the Buddhist asked for his change?

"Change comes from within."

Image :lol:

Conspirator

PostFri May 14, 2010 8:48 pm » by Lucidlemondrop

This is a thread to bookmark for further reading.

Lot's of Great Links.

What a long strange trip it's been..............

Super Moderator

PostFri May 14, 2010 8:55 pm » by TheDuck

Wehay! I knew someone would appreciate it, they should teach you philosophy in school from a young age imo.

I love the sh*t lol

Good picture.

:cheers:

Conspirator

PostFri May 14, 2010 9:03 pm » by Lucidlemondrop

They don't teach the more important things in school in seems.

The first college course I ever took was a philosophy course it was great fun and soooo interesting. Never gets old or boring.

Here is one someone shared a couple of days ago that I could also spend a life time studying that you may like.

http://historyofscience.com/G2I/timelin ... nformation

Super Moderator

PostFri May 14, 2010 9:13 pm » by TheDuck

Jeez that's some serious link, thanks have had a brief look, bookmarked.

I went to college when I was about 16, lasted half a day :?

Conspirator

PostFri May 14, 2010 10:54 pm » by Lucidlemondrop

theduck wrote:
I went to college when I was about 16, lasted half a day :?

LOL, for a clearer picture of my educational pursuits so as not to imply I am highly educated by the system, The truth is I quit school after 9th grade and and returned for one day to high school and then later enrolled in a single course...........Philosophy!

Later I took some computer classes and such for clerical skills and some marketing classes and even machine operations...................

Much better to learn things that interest a person, IMO................BUT......you don't get the best jobs with that attitude until you learn to manifest what the universe has for you............this I am still working on!

@Rabbit.................And yeah..........Guess who applied at Walmart yesterday out of desperation! LOL..............You post on that thread speaking of paid disinfo agents was the first thing I read after I finished the online app! Hahaha!

Super Moderator

PostSat May 15, 2010 1:00 am » by TheDuck

I'm glad I have to find my own way, I have no regrets as to who I am, I would do the same again if I had the chance, I got expelled from school, walked in without tie bumped into the head, shirt un-tucked cd player on, he started saying turn that off, tuck that in, (he hated me lol), he said do you wanna get expelled? I said yeh expel me, so he did lol

Didn't hardly go anyway...

I won't go into anything else :shock:

Super Moderator

PostSat May 15, 2010 1:02 am » by TheDuck

If I did pass all my exams I don't think I would have learned as much and got as much worldly experience as I have now.

Initiate

PostSat May 15, 2010 1:18 am » by Capnmac

Interesting, the only college course I ever took (which allows me to check the "some college" block on job apps) was Philosophy! Regular classes are for those that need to know "how", philosophy is for those that want to know "why". Will bookmark this for future reference, thanks for the knowledge

Next