Pixies!!!!

Initiate

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 10:31 pm » by Martintimothy

The capo like the one at left above disappeared into thin air October 16, the new 30$ capo is at right!!

Recently while playing guitar, I removed the capo that was on the neck at the third fret and put it on the table in front of me, an hour or so later I went to put it back on and it was gone!

They say Pixies have a propensity to borrow things, maybe some Pixie dude like the one above wished to serenade his lady love and just had to have a capo, maybe I should expect some Pixie gift in return .. here's hoping, I would like my guitar playing to improve, I wonder if they can fix that up for me :)

Super Moderator

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 10:41 pm » by Slith

Pixies are fairies...correct?

I'm just here for the popcorn Image

Initiate

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 pm » by Synkronizer

Slith wrote:Pixies are fairies...correct?

According to Brian Froud (authority on all things faerie), Pixies are a subspecies of the Faerie race.

The Pixie, also variously known as Pisgie, piskie, pigsey, of Cornwall, is based in the district of Dartmoor.

'There's piskies up to Dartmoor
And t'idden gude yu zes there bain't!'

There's hardly a place on Dartmoor that is not haunted by the green mischievous creatures. They have lent their name to many landmarks, Pixie's Holt, Pixie's Cave, Pixie's Parlour, Puggie Stone (the word Puggie has the same derivation as Puck). They dance in the shadows of the standing stones, or gambol on the tumbling stream edges. Their bells can be heard in the heart of the many tors on the moor.

If thou'rt of air let grey mist fold thee,
if of earth let the swart mine hold thee,
if a Pixie sink thy ring*
if a Nixie seek they spring.

WALTER SCOTT

The mischievous Pixies delight in stealing horses and Dartmoor ponies at night to ride them wildly across the moor, twisting and knotting their manes to spur them on. Even in the house one is not safe from them, for they like to throw pots and pans after the kitchen girls.

Although they enjoy their fun, the Pixies can be hard-working and often thresh corn at night for rewards of bread and cheese. However, one grateful farmer observing that the Pixie who threshed his corn wore clothes in tatters, got his wife to make a tiny suit. This was left where the Pixie might find it at the beginning of his night's work. The Pixie, on seeing the brand new outfit, delightedly put it on, the threshing forgotten, and cried
'New coat, New Waist-coat,
New Breeches!
You proud, I proud,
I shan't work any more!'

Nor did he, leaving the farmer regretful of his kindness.

*faerie ring

Source: Brian Froud's book Faeries, illustrated by Alan Lee. I have many of his books, they're beautiful!

"The adult public's taste is not necessarily ready to accept the logical solutions to their requirements if the solution
implies too vast a departure from what they have been conditioned into accepting as the norm." - Raymond Loewy

Super Moderator

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 11:11 pm » by Slith

Synkronizer

Thanks. Cheers :flop:

I'm just here for the popcorn Image

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 11:25 pm » by Doogle

Initiate

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 11:29 pm » by Synkronizer

Martintimothy wrote:
They say Pixies have a propensity to borrow things, maybe some Pixie dude like the one above wished to serenade his lady love and just had to have a capo, maybe I should expect some Pixie gift in return .. here's hoping, I would like my guitar playing to improve, I wonder if they can fix that up for me :)

According to Faerie lore, they tend to loan rather than to steal. So good chance is they will return it. On the other hand, they're also know to leave gifts and expect something in return. Did you recently find something nice around your house and didn't leave anything in return?
"The adult public's taste is not necessarily ready to accept the logical solutions to their requirements if the solution
implies too vast a departure from what they have been conditioned into accepting as the norm." - Raymond Loewy

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 12:04 am » by Temps13

I thought the Irish word fairys/faeries comes from the fair folk..blonde strangers possibly extraterrestrial
Never seen any on the moor,but then they are notoriously hard to spot of they don't want to be seen..& it is their custom to not let themselves be seen..another trait they share with the blonde ets..
I know,I know..'Why has everything got to come down to blonde ets?'..I don't know,it just does.
Image Image
IRMENSUL13

Initiate

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 12:45 am » by Martintimothy

Synkronizer wrote:They leave gifts and expect something in return .. did you recently find something, and didn't leave anything in return?

Not entirely .. a dude came by here to measure up for new window shades, he saw my guitar set up and told me he found a pile of broken guitars on the roadside, he said the only thing he could salvage was an Epiphone headstock that had a full set of very classy Epi machine heads.

As a non player he said he had no use for them, and just gave me the broken headstock before I could say no .. I thought about giving him an extra crystal ball I have here as a return gift, but did not want to precipitate an exchange on the basis of such a casual acquaintanceship .. that was the day before the capo went west!

Initiate

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 1:27 am » by Synkronizer

Martintimothy wrote:As a non player he said he had no use for them, and just gave me the broken headstock before I could say no .. I thought about giving him an extra crystal ball I have here as a return gift, but did not want to precipitate an exchange on the basis of such a casual acquaintanceship .. that was the day before the capo went west!

Maybe the headstock may prove more valuable than 30$ to you one day, it has some useful components. And you have a new capo now. I'm quite sure the measuring guy wasn't a faerie, but you never know what made the headstock end up in his possession in the first place. And since the capo only got lost the day after...

Who knows? Pixies are crafty! :D

Initiate

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 8:04 am » by Poppa_pygar

:lol: :lol: I know a few people that is out with the fairies or Pixies on here. They believe in Rainbows, and Unicorns.
Seriously though i have put something down, gone back a few minutes later, and it's gone, it's called "Disappearing object phenomena".
Read here: http://paranormal.about.com/od/polterge ... omenon.htm
If you're talking behind my back, you're in a good position to kiss my ass! Image

Next

Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook