Poll:Spiritual “God Spot”

Measurable spirituality in the brain,

Does this Strengthen your convictions in your belief?
No votes
Does this Weaken your faith, knowing it is a chemical reaction in the brain?
No votes
Does this Provide another example of the complexity of our mind?
13%
Does this open your mind to reexamining the processes of "spirituality"?
13%
None of these really fit Me.
50%
We are the collective "G" Spot.
25%

Total votes : 8
Conspirator

PostMon Apr 30, 2012 1:07 am » by Constabul

Spirituality Involves More than Just a “God Spot” in the Brain

It was previously thought that the brain featured a specific “God Spot” that was responsible for the neuropsychological basis for spirituality. A new study from the University of Missouri now suggests that spirituality is a complex phenomenon where multiple areas of the brain are responsible for aspects of spiritual experiences.

COLUMBIA, Missouri – Scientists have speculated that the human brain features a “God spot,” one distinct area of the brain responsible for spirituality. Now, University of Missouri researchers have completed research that indicates spirituality is a complex phenomenon, and multiple areas of the brain are responsible for the many aspects of spiritual experiences. Based on a previously published study that indicated spiritual transcendence is associated with decreased right parietal lobe functioning, MU researchers replicated their findings. In addition, the researchers determined that other aspects of spiritual functioning are related to increased activity in the frontal lobe.

Brick Johnstone, professor of health psychology in the School of Health Professions, studied spirituality in people with right parietal lobe brain damage.

“We have found a neuropsychological basis for spirituality, but it’s not isolated to one specific area of the brain,” said Brick Johnstone, professor of health psychology in the School of Health Professions. “Spirituality is a much more dynamic concept that uses many parts of the brain. Certain parts of the brain play more predominant roles, but they all work together to facilitate individuals’ spiritual experiences.”

In the most recent study, Johnstone studied 20 people with traumatic brain injuries affecting the right parietal lobe, the area of the brain situated a few inches above the right ear. He surveyed participants on characteristics of spirituality, such as how close they felt to a higher power and if they felt their lives were part of a divine plan. He found that the participants with more significant injury to their right parietal lobe showed an increased feeling of closeness to a higher power.

“Neuropsychology researchers consistently have shown that impairment on the right side of the brain decreases one’s focus on the self,” Johnstone said. “Since our research shows that people with this impairment are more spiritual, this suggests spiritual experiences are associated with a decreased focus on the self. This is consistent with many religious texts that suggest people should concentrate on the well-being of others rather than on themselves.”

Johnstone says the right side of the brain is associated with self-orientation, whereas the left side is associated with how individuals relate to others. Although Johnstone studied people with brain injury, previous studies of Buddhist meditators and Franciscan nuns with normal brain function have shown that people can learn to minimize the functioning of the right side of their brains to increase their spiritual connections during meditation and prayer.

In addition, Johnstone measured the frequency of participants’ religious practices, such as how often they attended church or listened to religious programs. He measured activity in the frontal lobe and found a correlation between increased activity in this part of the brain and increased participation in religious practices.

“This finding indicates that spiritual experiences are likely associated with different parts of the brain,” Johnstone said.

The study, “Right parietal lobe ‘selflessness’ as the neuropsychological basis of spiritual transcendence,” was published in the International Journal of the Psychology of Religion.

Source: Brad Fischer, MU News Bureau

Image: University of Missouri

http://scitechdaily.com/spirituality-in ... the-brain/

Feedback welcome.
Beyond the Poll questions. How would any of you assimilate such knowledge? Does it alter a perception of the process?
just couple examples,
Is it more intriguing, as ritual processes allow for "channeling" the right lobe of your brain?
Is it a door opening process of looking at spirituality, if you have not been before
Will it make you think,just a process of the brain, no functional purpose.

The implications of how all of you, view such things.
Just wondering Image
:cheers:

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 30, 2012 1:10 am » by Daemonfoe

Needs controls. What happens when you read a good story to these people like some good Tolkien books? I bet their brains light up just the same.

Guy has an awesome name though: Brick Johnstone? Rad.
The two choices we have are something starting from nothing, or something existing infinitely. These are both paradoxes. The existence of everything is therefore a paradox. -daemonfoe

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 30, 2012 2:03 am » by Zer0

LMAO! I do not need some stupid-ass white guy talking a bunch of mumbo jumbo to explain to me things like Spirituality or Love, if you need to use science to look into things we have understood for thousands of years... you FAIL.
Master Raphael wrote:what you call the law of attraction was missing a vital aspect to the theory that I call the law of repulsion ...it is clear I drove the two of you together...using my repulsion not attraction

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 30, 2012 6:59 pm » by Seriouscitizen

Otoel wrote:LMAO! I do not need some stupid-ass white guy talking a bunch of mumbo jumbo to explain to me things like Spirituality or Love, if you need to use science to look into things we have understood for thousands of years... you FAIL.

science cant fully comprehend spirituality. But i think sciense took a step forward after they discovered:

the heart is also the first organ that is being formed in the womb. The rest comes later.EagleEyes 17 March 2011 by Rebecca Cherry Recently, Neurophysicists have been astonished to discover that the Heart is more an organ of intelligence, than (merely) the bodies' main pumping station. More than half of the Heart is actually composed of neurons of the very same nature as those that make up the cerebral system. Joseph Chilton-Pearce, author of The Biology of Transcendence, calls it "the major biological apparatus within us and the seat of our greatest intelligence." The Heart is also the source of the body's strongest electromagnetic field. Each heart cell is unique in that it not only pulsates in synchrony with all the other heart cells, but also produces an electromagnetic signal that radiates out beyond the cell. An EEG that measures brain waves shows that the electromagnetic signals from the heart are so much stronger than brain waves, that a reading of the heart's frequency spectrum can be taken from three feet away from the body...without placing electrodes on it! The Heart's electromagnetic frequency arcs out from the Heart and back in the form of a torus field. The axis of this Heart torus extends from the pelvic floor to the top of the skull, and the whole field is holographic, meaning that information about it can be read from each and every point in the torus. The Hearts' torus electromagnetic field is not the only source that emits this type of electromagnetic field. Every atom emits the same torus field

read more: http://dimensionalbliss.com/2011/03/23/ ... you-think/

I tend to think he connection with our soul is our inspiration for spirituality. The Brain just needs to decode it for us in logical language.

Seems logical to me.

Conspirator

PostTue May 01, 2012 12:05 am » by Zer0

Master Raphael wrote:what you call the law of attraction was missing a vital aspect to the theory that I call the law of repulsion ...it is clear I drove the two of you together...using my repulsion not attraction

Super Moderator

PostTue May 01, 2012 12:44 am » by Spock

What really struck me about the article were the findings of heightened spirituality with increased activity in the frontal lobe - I wonder if the third eye is merely a coincidence or if there is something to that positioning.

Interestingly the initial thought was that damage to the right side of the brain decreased spiritual closeness, and being that the right side is the portion that thinks in pictures that seemed to make sense as instances of a spiritual nature tends to be more abstract pictures as opposed to calculations.

One thing is for sure, the brain seems to be a masked antennae with much more capability then the beta version we are all born with. I consider people with freakish skills such as Daniel Tammet whose brain runs calculations without him trying, and relays the numbers back to him in the form of pictures. This seems t go way beyond chemical reactions and electrical impulses.

For the poll I had to vote "Provides another example of the complexity of our mind?"

Upload to Disclose.tv

Super Moderator

PostTue May 01, 2012 12:57 am » by Spock

This is how Daniel Tammet sees Pi in his head and is able to relay the landscape to 20,000 past the decimal...

And this is how I see Pi...

Conspirator

PostTue May 01, 2012 1:43 am » by Daemonfoe

Spock wrote:What really struck me about the article were the findings of heightened spirituality with increased activity in the frontal lobe

"findings of heightened spirituality" is a reference to the test subjects saying they feel that experience. This is not a measurable finding. This test needs a control, examples of other feelings people have that produce the same results. Love, satisfaction, realization of a solution to a problem, interest in a story. You can't just pick a "feeling" and say "well look, people say they feel spiritual, these parts of the brain light up, let's stop the test here" and not compare it to anything else.
The two choices we have are something starting from nothing, or something existing infinitely. These are both paradoxes. The existence of everything is therefore a paradox. -daemonfoe

Writer

PostTue May 01, 2012 2:11 am » by MrWho

Otoel wrote:LMAO! I do not need some stupid-ass white guy talking a bunch of mumbo jumbo to explain to me things like Spirituality or Love, if you need to use science to look into things we have understood for thousands of years... you FAIL.

I am sure we can find you a stupid arsed mexican talking a bunch of mumbo jumbo, oh wait there you are.
bitcoin.org/