Pope Benedict stumped by Japanese girl's question

Conspirator
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:21 pm

PostTue Apr 26, 2011 1:20 pm » by Nihilgeist


kkris wrote:Christians, in general, cannot answer this question without accepting the science of karma and reincarnation.
Why do some enjoy trouble free lives and some even in the same family be born into a life of suffering, such as blindness, disfigurement, crippling deformities etc etc?
Only by the acceptance of reincarnation and the carrying forth of the repercussions of karma can these events make any sense. Just as if one goes to watch a movie part way through, and a person is injured, and it seems unfair, but then the movie is watched from the beginning and the preceding factors make clear the events that lead to the injury.


Sorry, in my opinion reincarnation and karma are just as stupid a philosophy. Suffering within this life for something you have no memory of from a past life serves no purpose. How can you grow and develop yourself if you do not know what you did wrong previously? Learning from one's mistakes implies YOU KNOW YOUR PREVIOUS MISTAKES. It's like failing a test you didn't know you were taking until after the fact, and then having to take a completely different test with harder questions (due to the fact you failed the first one) without even knowing you're again taking a new test which leads to you failing again, and again, and again. It's a downward spiral.

Futhermore, karma implies bad things only happen to people that deserve it. In such a reality, the Holocaust was a then much deserved act of Karma; as horrible as that would sound to any rational human being, considering such a heinous crime on humanity (namely the Jews) had to be preceeded by an equally if not less heinous crime committed by the Jews in their past lives. And then what crimes did they commit in their past life, and if that ended in the suffering of other people, wasn't that just karma deserved on those other people for some past life misdeed. I cannot go back forever and ever. Such as system is rediculous and flawed to its very core, worse than Christianity.

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 1068
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:38 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostTue Apr 26, 2011 1:34 pm » by Tinman4higher


A letter that Christopher Hitchens just wrote to explain his absence from a conference he was to attend...

Dear fellow-unbelievers,

Nothing would have kept me from joining you except the loss of my voice (at least my speaking voice) which in turn is due to a long argument I am currently having with the specter of death. Nobody ever wins this argument, though there are some solid points to be made while the discussion goes on. I have found, as the enemy becomes more familiar, that all the special pleading for salvation, redemption and supernatural deliverance appears even more hollow and artificial to me than it did before. I hope to help defend and pass on the lessons of this for many years to come, but for now I have found my trust better placed in two things: the skill and principle of advanced medical science, and the comradeship of innumerable friends and family, all of them immune to the false consolations of religion. It is these forces among others which will speed the day when humanity emancipates itself from the mind-forged manacles of servility and superstitition. It is our innate solidarity, and not some despotism of the sky, which is the source of our morality and our sense of decency.

That essential sense of decency is outraged every day. Our theocratic enemy is in plain view. Protean in form, it extends from the overt menace of nuclear-armed mullahs to the insidious campaigns to have stultifying pseudo-science taught in American schools. But in the past few years, there have been heartening signs of a genuine and spontaneous resistance to this sinister nonsense: a resistance which repudiates the right of bullies and tyrants to make the absurd claim that they have god on their side. To have had a small part in this resistance has been the greatest honor of my lifetime: the pattern and original of all dictatorship is the surrender of reason to absolutism and the abandonment of critical, objective inquiry. The cheap name for this lethal delusion is religion, and we must learn new ways of combating it in the public sphere, just as we have learned to free ourselves of it in private.

Our weapons are the ironic mind against the literal: the open mind against the credulous; the courageous pursuit of truth against the fearful and abject forces who would set limits to investigation (and who stupidly claim that we already have all the truth we need). Perhaps above all, we affirm life over the cults of death and human sacrifice and are afraid, not of inevitable death, but rather of a human life that is cramped and distorted by the pathetic need to offer mindless adulation, or the dismal belief that the laws of nature respond to wailings and incantations.

As the heirs of a secular revolution, American atheists have a special responsibility to defend and uphold the Constitution that patrols the boundary between Church and State. This, too, is an honor and a privilege. Believe me when I say that I am present with you, even if not corporeally (and only metaphorically in spirit...) Resolve to build up Mr Jefferson's wall of separation. And don't keep the faith.

Sincerely

Christopher Hitchens
Atheism is a non-prophet organization...GC

Writer
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:21 pm

PostTue Apr 26, 2011 2:35 pm » by Oreally


The second question to the pope,"how many licks to the center of a tootsie roll pop"?
He answered" 1,2,3,crunch, I guess the world will never know.

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 1958
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:08 pm
Location: The outlet by the light switch

PostTue Apr 26, 2011 4:33 pm » by Thebluecanary


tinman4higher wrote:A letter that Christopher Hitchens just wrote to explain his absence from a conference he was to attend...

Dear fellow-unbelievers,

Nothing would have kept me from joining you except the loss of my voice (at least my speaking voice) which in turn is due to a long argument I am currently having with the specter of death. Nobody ever wins this argument, though there are some solid points to be made while the discussion goes on. I have found, as the enemy becomes more familiar, that all the special pleading for salvation, redemption and supernatural deliverance appears even more hollow and artificial to me than it did before. I hope to help defend and pass on the lessons of this for many years to come, but for now I have found my trust better placed in two things: the skill and principle of advanced medical science, and the comradeship of innumerable friends and family, all of them immune to the false consolations of religion. It is these forces among others which will speed the day when humanity emancipates itself from the mind-forged manacles of servility and superstitition. It is our innate solidarity, and not some despotism of the sky, which is the source of our morality and our sense of decency.

That essential sense of decency is outraged every day. Our theocratic enemy is in plain view. Protean in form, it extends from the overt menace of nuclear-armed mullahs to the insidious campaigns to have stultifying pseudo-science taught in American schools. But in the past few years, there have been heartening signs of a genuine and spontaneous resistance to this sinister nonsense: a resistance which repudiates the right of bullies and tyrants to make the absurd claim that they have god on their side. To have had a small part in this resistance has been the greatest honor of my lifetime: the pattern and original of all dictatorship is the surrender of reason to absolutism and the abandonment of critical, objective inquiry. The cheap name for this lethal delusion is religion, and we must learn new ways of combating it in the public sphere, just as we have learned to free ourselves of it in private.

Our weapons are the ironic mind against the literal: the open mind against the credulous; the courageous pursuit of truth against the fearful and abject forces who would set limits to investigation (and who stupidly claim that we already have all the truth we need). Perhaps above all, we affirm life over the cults of death and human sacrifice and are afraid, not of inevitable death, but rather of a human life that is cramped and distorted by the pathetic need to offer mindless adulation, or the dismal belief that the laws of nature respond to wailings and incantations.

As the heirs of a secular revolution, American atheists have a special responsibility to defend and uphold the Constitution that patrols the boundary between Church and State. This, too, is an honor and a privilege. Believe me when I say that I am present with you, even if not corporeally (and only metaphorically in spirit...) Resolve to build up Mr Jefferson's wall of separation. And don't keep the faith.

Sincerely

Christopher Hitchens


And yet again, what does you regurgitating something that one of your beloved atheist talking heads has to say about missing a conference have to do, exactly, with what you would say to a little girl when she asks you, personally, why she has to suffer?

Obviously you can't answer because you don't know what you would say, any more than most other people would know how to handle that situation. A child's mind is not some pointless argument on the internet. Would you read this to her, then? And show her your little video? Do you think that would help her sleep at night?

Kids who are traumatized by disasters often have night terrors...that is, they wake up screaming in the middle of the night and can't be comforted. My friends are going through this right now with their daughter, who had to hide in a closet with her mommy while a tornado passed over their house. A tree fell on the house, trapping them inside for awhile, and they had to wait for people with chainsaws to cut them loose. And, in all the chaos, her kitty ran away and has yet to be found. Her backyard was trashed and her playhouse and swing destroyed. Her entire safe world has come crashing down and she lives in terror that it will happen again. She's 4. She can't sleep and she can't stop talking about what if a tornado comes? Do you think it would make her feel better to hear how much luckier she is than all the other people who lost their homes or died? When your child is inconsolable at three in the morning for the fourth night in a row, are you going to show her some cute little cartoon that tells her how stupid Christians are?

Other people have given actual thought to answering my question and done so very well. You, however, super fail.
Remember, in a real conspiracy, all players are pawns regardless of their rank.
-----Christopher Hyatt

Conspirator
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:31 am

PostTue Apr 26, 2011 4:52 pm » by Heinousone


spock wrote:
heinousone wrote:
Oh I am sorry did I use language that offends you?


Not you Heinousone - mallog.



My post was to mallog....I was agreeing with you and Lowsix.

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 9348
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 pm

PostTue Apr 26, 2011 7:54 pm » by Freeyourmindnow


nihilgeist wrote:
Sorry, in my opinion reincarnation and karma are just as stupid a philosophy.



are you sure?
The Boy Who Lived Before


Upload to Disclose.tv


Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 7600
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:34 pm

PostTue Apr 26, 2011 9:07 pm » by Flecktarn


whiteknight2000 wrote:
flecktarn wrote:what crap did the pope come up with ,,the usual excuse ,,,"its gods will" i expect



Obviously you didn't read the whole post :headscratch:

read the post and gave MY OPINION ,,,SO WHATS THE ISSUE
if the pope cant anwser a simple question about his employer whys he doing the job ,,ah yea for the perks
ImageImage

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 7600
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:34 pm

PostTue Apr 26, 2011 9:13 pm » by Flecktarn


otoel wrote:ITS GODS WILL....WHAT ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED OR WHAT?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: coming from a fully paid up member of the retards
ImageImage

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 1068
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:38 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostTue Apr 26, 2011 9:30 pm » by Tinman4higher


thebluecanary wrote:
And yet again, what does you regurgitating something ...

blah blah blah
are you going to show her some cute little cartoon that tells her how stupid Christians are?


You, however, super fail.


Again with the hate and intolerance....
You are lying when you say you would like to know what I would say to that little girl. You just want another opportunity to spew your hatred. I feel for your husband, although I doubt there is one.

I guess my point was that this little girl should not have been subjected to the lies in the first place. She should be aware of how precious life is every day and not just how great things could be when she dies. Now because of the child abuse she has suffered in the form of religion being taught to her, she also has to deal with the realization that her parents and teachers and friends have all lied to her about a magical man in the sky. How disconnected she will feel if she breaks free from all of the lies and the liars. Poor child.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization...GC

Master Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 10861
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:36 am

PostTue Apr 26, 2011 9:53 pm » by Lowsix


tinman4higher wrote: I feel for your husband, although I doubt there is one.


Yeah i feel for him too.

Must suck having a hot (yes, shes hot) educated,
articulate woman at your side
with a sweet southern lilt that can melt platinum.

*shudders

Youre a clown on this one tin.
Embarassing that you're acting this way...

Hope she doesnt find it nec. to waste anymore time on your bait.
Because its frustrating for me to watch her lay out a rather reasonable
position and articulation and then have a wise-ass shit on it...for no reason.

Well, i mean for no other reason than the ones shes correctly laid out about you
and how your type finds it necessary to demean, insult and patronize on the basis of YOUR biases....

Real, two-way dialogue is dead if somehow
you can frame HER position as ridiculous, extreme or hateful..

But thats your stock standard 'trick'.

Congrats coward.
Image
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...


PreviousNext

  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook