Tornado in New Zealand

Post a reply

To prevent automatic submissions, please verify that you are not a robot.
:pray: :sleep: :D :alien51: :) :mrgreen: :wink: :love: :obsessed: :| :( :twisted: :evil: :scary: :o :dunno: :? 8-) :hmmm: :shock: :flop: :top: :x :P :oops: :cry: :?: :idea: :arrow: :!: :nails: :look: :rtft: :roll: :ohno: :hell: :vomit: :lol: :think: :headscratch: :clapper: :bang; :censored: :badair: :help: :owned: :nope: :nwo: :geek: :ugeek: :robot: :alien: :mrcool: :ghost: :sunny: :peep: :yell: :banana: :dancing: :hugging: :bullshit: :cheers: :shooting: :hiho:
View more smilies
BBCode is ON
[img] is OFF
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON
Topic review

Expand view Topic review: Tornado in New Zealand

Re: Tornado in New Zealand

Post by Magic » Tue May 03, 2011 9:22 am

I'm from Australia and my parent are on holidays in Auckland when it hit.
They gave my a call 20 mins ago. They are alright thank god.
Were are in Australia Victoria country side we don't get Tornado down here.
So it a big shock to them.

Tornado in New Zealand

Post by Helios » Tue May 03, 2011 8:55 am

A tornado has roared through the New Zealand city of Auckland, killing at least two people and injuring several more.

It touched down around 1500 (0300 GMT) in the city's Albany area and then moved south, felling trees and tearing roofs off houses.

Cars were overturned by the tornado, which left a 5 km-long (3 mile-long) trail of damage.

A roof was also ripped off a shopping centre in Albany, local media said.

Auckland Mayor Len Brown said that the death toll could rise. "We've had two confirmed fatalities, it's absolutely disastrous," he told local media.

Witnesses described debris flying though the air and cars torn from the ground as the slow-moving funnel passed.

"There's probably six or seven seriously damaged cars, and I saw cars flying off the ground about 30 meters (100 feet) in the air," shop owner Hamish Blair told the Associated Press news agency.

New Zealand's Stuff news website said that at least 18 people had been taken to hospital.

Police warned local residents to stay inside until the weather settled.