Project NATAL!! Do we want this technology in our homes?

Conspirator

PostMon Sep 14, 2009 4:16 pm » by Electrobadgr

Don't know how many of you are gamers but i like many was very excited when Microsoft announced this exciting new technology. Then i started thinking..... This device scans your face when you enter the room and it recognises your voice, so it knows who you are and where you are. Does anyone else have concerns that one of the biggest and richest corporations in the world will be able to see right into your living room and see and hear what you are doing? As well as being able to identify you by your face and voice!! This is not exclusive to your home either, if your friend has this device then when you go round there it will recognise you there too. The prospects for gaming are exciting but we don't know how else this technology could be used or misused.

Would love to hear some thoughts on this

Peace
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly. time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Conspirator

PostMon Sep 14, 2009 4:30 pm » by Darrylmckay

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B2r9cKjNQe4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B2r9cKjNQe4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Now I am not a huge game player, but wouldnt this game need scanners all around you to capture your motions and place them on the screen, it could not work this well with just one motion capture device from in front could it?
I will respect your beliefs*, I will research your beliefs, but dont expect me to believe.
* disclaimer-user makes no commitment to live up to this claim

Conspirator

PostMon Sep 14, 2009 4:33 pm » by Aragajag

I put my money on binocular cameras.
'Gee, I wish we had one of them Doomsday Machines, Stainsey..' General "Buck" Turgidson

Conspirator

PostMon Sep 14, 2009 4:43 pm » by Electrobadgr

darrylmckay wrote:[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B2r9cKjNQe4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B2r9cKjNQe4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Now I am not a huge game player, but wouldnt this game need scanners all around you to capture your motions and place them on the screen, it could not work this well with just one motion capture device from in front could it?

Apparently it can detect 45 points of motion on each players body down to individual finger movements and believe it or not can estimate movements from obscured areas i.e. if your arm was obscured by another player. The technology is staggering, but it didn't immediately strike me how invasive it is. As i say, when you walk in the door, the camera scans your face, identifies you, signs you into Xbox live and says "Hello Electrobadgr". Microsoft want Project NATAL to be at the centre of everyones digital entertainment world and it will probably be that way upon its release. I'm not saying this is some sort of evil plan, i am just asking if people would invite this potential "Big Brother" into their home under the guise of entertainment?

Peace
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly. time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Master Conspirator

PostMon Sep 14, 2009 4:46 pm » by Boondox681

well,when westinghouse and texas instruments,the 2 largest suppliers of weapon and spy technology for the U.S. since WWII spread their tentacles to private entities,what do you expect?follow the snail trail and it inevitably leads back to them and the cia-their #1 customer.
"You wanna' keep it real take a walk out your door,that's as real as it gets from the sky to the floor."

Initiate

PostMon Sep 14, 2009 7:12 pm » by Kurious

If privacy is a issue then simply unplug natal from the xbox, thus rendering it unable to send your pasty image to Bill Gates in his evil underground lair.

Then proceed to whacking off untill either you get blisters or till your hearts content.

Simple.
SHUT UP YOU FUCKING CONSPIRACY BASED LUNATIC

Conspirator

PostMon Sep 14, 2009 7:24 pm » by Electrobadgr

kurious wrote:If privacy is a issue then simply unplug natal from the xbox, thus rendering it unable to send your pasty image to Bill Gates in his evil underground lair.

Then proceed to whacking off untill either you get blisters or till your hearts content.

Simple.

lol, I realise the solution is as easy as that :D Just wondering if anyone had thought about the potential for NATAL to be part of some NWO population monitoring system?

Just food for thought :D