Red Letter Bible Discussion

Master Conspirator

PostSun Aug 22, 2010 1:52 am » by Lowsix

RED LETTER BIBLE DISCUSSION

For those that are interested in what the one dude said..

These are all of the collected words,
as they appear in the bible...and thats all this is about.

I started there.

Dont worry about old testament vs new,
or the apostles or anything OTHER than
what you can get out of these red letters....

Dont worry about what youve been taught,
or what you think the church (whichever one)
has taught with these words..

Just take in the stories and speeches themselves..
And start the judgement fresh on those grounds.

And again, this isnt about my views on christianity at all.
Although no doubt, its going to appear that way.
And will probably get complained about that way.

But im simply addressing the texts themselves...
as a piece of the puzzle...and literally what is in them.

Free from everyone elses bias..

This isn't about beliefs at all, at this point.
So dont come crashing in, bringing up all
sorts of non and off-topic material to try to derail this.

This is straight info..

ie..what Jesus (allegedly) said...and it's merits alone
based on the the core of the message...

And i dont give a flying shit about the RCC or the Pope...
So there is no need to bring it up. 100% irrelevant here. (for now)

There was a thing called the reformation..
we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Conspirator

PostSun Aug 22, 2010 1:58 am » by sockpuppet

Wait.. .question... Is linguistics or the Jesus Seminary allowed in here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouyVS6HOFeo

Conspirator

PostSun Aug 22, 2010 1:59 am » by Heinousone

I bookmarked it Lowsix. I will try to spend some time on such.

Master Conspirator

PostSun Aug 22, 2010 2:10 am » by Cornbread714

Do puppies go to Heaven?
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Initiate

PostSun Aug 22, 2010 2:18 am » by Rkobilan

Lowsix awesome stuff. I do have one request. You write "just take in the stories and speeches themselves. And start the judgement fresh on those grounds. I agree with everything you've stated but request you change the word judgment as It's a Sin to pass judgment as it states in the Bible. I'm of the mind that what this means is (I'll use a golf ball analogy) as the golf ball sits on the tee, as you look at something from your perspective you Must! also take into consideration the rest of the ball. Each divit represents another possible view. Adding, also that aside from looking at it one way, there are more than 360 degrees of view around this ball going both up and down around it showing the possible ways of viewing something. No wonder why we can't get along.

Writer

PostSun Aug 22, 2010 2:40 am » by Swiftvengeance

Belief doesn't come from a book, it comes from the heart and the mind
[b]A cut above[/b]

Master Conspirator

PostSun Aug 22, 2010 2:52 am » by Cornbread714

Sorry, I jumped in with the first smartass remark, but it was time for some comic relief, I thought.

Everybody could see it coming...

I was the same way, even back in Sunday school - I rejected organized religion at about the age of six, and felt compelled to lampoon and mock society and its obvious contradictions and small daily hypocrisies and prejudices. I still do it.

I picked up right away on what a "Sunday Christian" was (pretty much all of them fell into that category, from what I could see - including my parents), and I rejected all of it, or at least the human interpretation I was exposed to and shown examples of.

I knew somehow, that it was either true, and nobody was living it day to day, or it was a myth - handed down over the ages as a way of keeping some sense of order based on logical rules - "Thou shalt not kill", etc. - a fairy tale maybe, but a good one, that got retold and reinforced for a reason, or maybe many reasons.

Some of the most powerful and intelligent people I know or whose work I have encountered still struggle with this myth, these questions - it's our cultural milieu, and there's no escaping it, to a certain extent. I still struggle with it.

But through all my rebellion, all my rejection and questions, I understood, and still do, what the Christ represents.

Strip away all the dogma, rhetoric, and hypocrisy associated with the name, and there is something real and human and, yes, of eternal value.

I don't pledge my heart to Jesus looking for a ticket to Heaven, but I get the basic message.
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Writer

PostSun Aug 22, 2010 2:56 am » by Swiftvengeance

naught wrote:
swiftvengeance wrote:Belief doesn't come from a book, it comes from the heart and the mind

Thanks but we are discussing the words of Jesus. I am not sure about anything in life. Have you read these words of Jesus before? I haven't but I am now. :cheers:

I have read the bible and many other books, forever it seems. I'm happy for you, to read the words of Jesus and add it to your life is commendable. Doesn't work for me, but that's me.
All the power to you naught!
[b]A cut above[/b]

Super Moderator

PostSun Aug 22, 2010 2:56 am » by Spock

cornbread714 wrote:Strip away all the dogma, rhetoric, and hypocrisy associated with the name, and there is something real and human and, yes, of eternal value.

I don't pledge my heart to Jesus looking for a ticket to Heaven, but I get the basic message.

You rock Corn! :flop:

Conspirator

PostSun Aug 22, 2010 2:59 am » by Heinousone

cornbread714 wrote:Sorry, I jumped in with the first smartass remark, but it was time for some comic relief, I thought.

Everybody could see it coming...

I was the same way, even back in Sunday school - I rejected organized religion at about the age of six, and felt compelled to lampoon and mock society and its obvious contradictions and small daily hypocrisies and prejudices. I still do it.

I picked up right away on what a "Sunday Christian" was (pretty much all of them fell into that category, from what I could see - including my parents), and I rejected all of it, or at least the human interpretation I was exposed to and shown examples of.

I knew somehow, that it was either true, and nobody was living it day to day, or it was a myth - handed down over the ages as a way of keeping some sense of order based on logical rules - "Thou shalt not kill", etc. - a fairy tale maybe, but a good one, that got retold and reinforced for a reason, or maybe many reasons.

Some of the most powerful and intelligent people I know or whose work I have encountered still struggle with this myth, these questions - it's our cultural milieu, and there's no escaping it, to a certain extent. I still struggle with it.

But through all my rebellion, all my rejection and questions, I understood, and still do, what the Christ represents.

Strip away all the dogma, rhetoric, and hypocrisy associated with the name, and there is something real and human and, yes, of eternal value.

:flop:

Sounds rather familiar, very familiar.

Next