Rep. Ron Paul "Surprise" Winner of CPAC Pres. Straw Poll.

jetxvii

PostSun Feb 21, 2010 3:13 am » by jetxvii

WOW Is it any surprise that the most constitutionally responsible man in politics won the straw vote for following the American Constitution?

Rep. Ron Paul surprise winner of CPAC presidential straw poll
February 20, 2010 7:50 p.m. EST

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/02/20/ ... ng/?hpt=T1

(CNN) -- U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, a stalwart foe of government spending, won a blowout victory Saturday in the annual Conservative Political Action Conference presidential straw poll.

With participants naming "reducing the size of federal government" as their top issue, the 74-year old libertarian hero captured 31 percent of the 2,400 votes cast in the annual contest, usually seen as a barometer of how the GOP's conservative wing regards their potential presidential candidates.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney finished second with 22 percent of the vote, ending a three-year winning streak at CPAC. Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin finished third with 7 percent of the vote, followed by Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty at 6 percent and Indiana Rep. Mike Pence at 5 percent.

They were followed by former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who tied at 4 percent. Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, South Dakota Sen. John Thune and Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour rounded out the results.

Five percent of participants voted for "Other" and 6 percent was undecided.

The announcement of Paul's win, a surprise victory unlikely to have a major impact on the 2012 presidential contest, drew a volley of loud boos from the CPAC audience.

That discontent could be seen in the poll results: A majority of participants said they wished the Republican Party had a better field of candidates to choose from.

But Paul's victory might be seen, in part, as a result of his support among anti-establishment Tea Party activists -- who turned out in force at this year's conference and expressed some frustration with the Republican Party.

Reflecting the college atmosphere of the annual event, young people dominated the voting: 54 percent of participants were between the ages of 18 and 25.

The poll also contained a bit of bad news for Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele, who made an under-the-radar appearance at CPAC late Friday.

Follow on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/cpac

Participants were asked to rate their opinions of several top political figures, including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Minority Leader John Boehner, both of whom received a majority favorable rating.

But Steele was the only Republican to garner an upside-down rating, with 44 percent giving him an unfavorable rating and 42 percent rating him favorably.

The three-day meeting Saturday that has featured speeches by Republican leaders, training sessions for local political activists and a renewed purpose to stand firm behind their principles heading into the midterm elections.

Initiate

PostSun Feb 21, 2010 3:38 am » by Bahb3

If Ron Paul ever got in the White House they, meaning his fellow Senators, would have him killed. No way they will let that little Texan take away their dirty money.

jetxvii

PostSun Feb 21, 2010 3:50 am » by jetxvii

bahb3 wrote:If Ron Paul ever got in the White House they, meaning his fellow Senators, would have him killed. No way they will let that little Texan take away their dirty money.

Oh I understand that is a possibility, but it still must be tried.

If that did happen I think that would also open the gates...ALOT!

The BAH BAH's Would go Uh Hell NAW!

Initiate

PostSun Feb 21, 2010 3:52 am » by Disorganizer81

bahb3 wrote:If Ron Paul ever got in the White House they, meaning his fellow Senators, would have him killed. No way they will let that little Texan take away their dirty money.

He would definetely have to drop the secret service and get some Seals for protection, because if the Senate didn't kill him the private Federal Reserve would.

jetxvii

PostSun Feb 21, 2010 3:57 am » by jetxvii

disorganizer81 wrote:

He would definetely have to drop the secret service and get some Seals for protection, because if the Senate didn't kill him the private Federal Reserve would.

I know a Seal that would probably do it:

And Ron Paul is an even Bigger man for doing what he does and running for what he does, even though he knows this is a possibility he still does it..

Commendable.

Writer

PostMon Feb 22, 2010 6:18 am » by Jamestkirk

Ron Paul is.......my HERO. :flop: (Still have his bumper sticker for his last run on the back window of my car. (Despite my wife's bitchin' that, "He didn't win, why do you still have that sticker on your car?") My response to her always is, "Hey, Obama's the worst president in history and those dumb-asses that voted for him still have their stickers on their cars, that way the next time they're sitting behind me at a red light, thinking about how are they going to pay the rent this month or, how am I going to feed my family on $6.00 this week or, if cap and trade is passed how the hell am I going to pay my utilities bill this month...... So, while they're waiting there for the light to change, they will see my
"RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT" sticker, they can look at me, hang their head in shame and know...
I wasn't or never will be part of the problem..."

"The Revolution Roller Coaster is about to begin folks........Hang On Tight...."

jetxvii

PostMon Feb 22, 2010 6:33 am » by jetxvii

jamestkirk wrote:Ron Paul is.......my HERO. :flop: (Still have his bumper sticker for his last run on the back window of my car. (Despite my wife's bitchin' that, "He didn't win, why do you still have that sticker on your car?") My response to her always is, "Hey, Obama's the worst president in history and those dumb-asses that voted for him still have their stickers on their cars, that way the next time they're sitting behind me at a red light, thinking about how are they going to pay the rent this month or, how am I going to feed my family on $6.00 this week or, if cap and trade is passed how the hell am I going to pay my utilities bill this month...... So, while they're waiting there for the light to change, they will see my
"RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT" sticker, they can look at me, hang their head in shame and know...
I wasn't or never will be part of the problem..."

"The Revolution Roller Coaster is about to begin folks........Hang On Tight...."

LMFAO THAT IS JUST GREAT!

I still have his stickers on all my toolboxes and buckets, I took the one off my car because it was getting crusty and I didn't want to tarnish his name with a withered sticker..

that story made my day though

"....so they can hang their head in shame and know..."

Classic.

:cheers: :cheers: