Republicans raise grandstanding to an art form

Conspirator

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 11:05 am » by Icarus1

As America stands on the brink of running out of money to pay its bills, the Republican leadership in the House raised pointless grandstanding to an art form.

More than that, in just a few hours they hit on a formula that flawlessly exposed their own division, underscored their leadership's weakness and highlighted the extent of their humiliation.

I read one far-right blog this week that claimed President Obama was a Soviet mole, planted at childhood.

It seems much more credible that the Republican leader John Boehner was the plant, sent here to damage the GOP by sending its poll ratings through the floor.

It seemed Republicans and Democrats in the Senate were on the brink of a deal.

The Republicans in the House scuppered that by announcing a plan of their own. It attached three fairly minor concessions about Obamacare to a bill lifting the debt ceiling and reopening the government.

They couldn't get the votes for that from their own side. So they dropped all but one of the conditions. They wanted to make sure staff in Congress didn't get health care subsidies.

As a ransom note this doesn't amount to much. It was, I suppose, something they thought they might be able to sell to activists back home. Rather like a man who has been almost stripped naked refusing to remove one last sock, claiming his dignity depends on it.

But they couldn't get the votes of their own members for that either. So they announced "no vote tonight". That mean's Tuesday might as well have been cancelled and we are back to square one.

Guess what? The Senate is working on a plan. But they are running out of time. How the House will react to any deal is uncertain. But I bet they embarrass themselves in the process.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24545697

Conspirator

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 11:17 am » by Icarus1

In 90 seconds: What if there's no debt ceiling deal?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24525915

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 12:33 pm » by rebusses

You obviously have no clue about what's going on in American politics and instead are passing on the drivel from the main stream media. Educate yourself about what's happening in the GOP. You only have to look back into history and what happened with the Whig party. History does and is repeating itself.

As far as the US defaulting on its debts. Again, educate yourself before you spread nonsense. You don't know US politics, the Constitution, how much the US pulls in on taxes vs what its debts are, or what the debt ceiling actually is.

Section Four of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States says that “The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned.

Conspirator

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 1:44 pm » by Icarus1

i know whats going on you muppet, this time tomorrow your country is bankrupt. now fuck off

Initiate

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 2:30 pm » by Pateriot

We have ample money, 10 times to pay our debtors. This is also mandated by the 14th amendment in the Constitution. It is other governmental services that would be at risk. Basically not increasing the debt ceiling would force us to live within our means as a nation. It would also weaken a monstrously overreaching Federal Government and help put it back in its Constitutional restraints.

What happens if we continue to increase the debt? Things probably do not crash today. The economy may stumble along for 2-3 years, but when the inevitable crash does come it will be even more horrific! We will have Trillions of dollars more debt than we have now and the deck of cards will be stacked even higher.

Had we manned up and let markets correct on their own 5 years ago we would have had a tough slog of it over the past 5 years but would likely be starting to recover now. Going down the road we are, when the crash finally comes we will be relegated to a Third World country... with no escape!!

Conspirator

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 2:53 pm » by Icarus1

10 times ? 14th amendment? how much do you owe china ? the truth of the matter is that the tea party is hell bent on wrecking your country, to be honest i dont give a fuck ether way , i just find it amusing that a group of insignificant wankers can be allowed to cause so much damage and the sheeple sit and blink their eyes like goldfish.

Initiate

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 3:17 pm » by Domeika

Icarus1 wrote:10 times ? 14th amendment? how much do you owe china ? the truth of the matter is that the tea party is hell bent on wrecking your country, to be honest i dont give a fuck ether way , i just find it amusing that a group of insignificant wankers can be allowed to cause so much damage and the sheeple sit and blink their eyes like goldfish.

It's actually the other way around. TEA stands for Taxed Enough Already. Our government has grown like a virus and it wants to keep on growing because more union federal workers means more dues sent straight back to the DNC, and that would be the same scum promoting ever bigger government.....a vicious cycle wherein the only player that loses is the American taxpayer.

I don't want them raising the debt limit, and as Pateriot pointed out, we do have the means to service the debt and by law the debt must be paid and will be paid. It is the expanding social programs and government that will starve and rightfully so. As US citizens, we are expected to live within our means and just can't run off a pile of Benjamins when we don't and government (if you have any common sense) should work the same way.

Conspirator

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 3:52 pm » by Icarus1

tell that to your starving children

Initiate

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 4:19 pm » by Domeika

Icarus1 wrote:tell that to your starving children

My children are not starving. If you want to feed the world I suggest you cut a check and keep your hand out of my pocket.

Super Moderator

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 5:20 pm » by The57ironman

Domeika wrote:
Icarus1 wrote:tell that to your starving children

My children are not starving. If you want to feed the world I suggest you cut a check and keep your hand out of my pocket.

.....aahahahahaha....thank you

Icarus1 wrote:i know whats going on you muppet, this time tomorrow your country is bankrupt. now fuck off

....lmfao....

................................................... CHA-CHINGLE BELLS .................................................
ImageImageImage

Next