Rice Safe to Eat Despite Arsenic Levels: FDA

Conspirator

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 12:39 pm » by Evildweeb

...W T F

Rice Safe to Eat Despite Arsenic Levels: FDA

Upload to Disclose.tv

NewsyScience

Published on Sep 9, 2013

The agency tested more than 1,300 different rice products and found levels of arsenic it says are not hazardous to human health in the short term.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yINmKQkabk

Living south of Kansas and north of Texas pretty much puts me in the middle of fu(king nowhere.

Conspirator

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 12:54 pm » by RATRODROB

Arsenic in Brown Rice: How Worried Should We Be?

Have you heard that brown rice has been found to contain trace amounts of arsenic? As a brown rice lover, all of the varying reports have been a bit confusing and tough to unpack. Some news sources are saying to avoid it at all costs while others are saying it's not a serious situation. Last week, The New York Times came up with the perfect description: "the arsenic conundrum." So how serious of an issue is it, really?

Martha Rose Schulman from The New York Times notes, "It is clear that the levels of inorganic arsenic in rice and rice products are high, and that we and especially children, babies and pregnant women should limit our intake of rice and rice products such as cereals, rice cakes and rice beverages."

But cut it out completely? I've been torn about what to do with our bulk supply of brown rice. I haven't been purchasing new rice at the store, but we do have a pretty decent backstock at home and I've been hesitant to use it. Consumers Reports advocates limiting the daily consumption of rice to one serving per week for kids and pregnant women and two servings for adults who don't fit into those categories.

The good news? Many rice products are actually lower in arsenic than others, and the Consumers Union is trying to get pesticides laced with arsenic phased out. So it appears as though this is a case of moderation and awareness — all the while hoping that the levels in the rice supply begin to decrease.

Read More → Brown Rice and the Arsenic Conundrum by Martha Rose Schulman for The New York Times

Also: Arsenic in Your Food by Consumer Reports

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/15/health/beet-green-rice-and-ricotta-blinis.html

Looks like brown rice aswell DWEEB

RRR
The more people i meet, the more i like my dog

Super Moderator

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 2:11 pm » by Slith

I've never been a rice fan, but I found this article interesting

BROWN RICE DANGERS

There are potential dangers associated with eating brown rice.

Beyond differences in color, the differences between brown rice and white rice largely arise from the manufacturing process. While the outer shell, or hull, of rice grains is removed to make brown rice edible, white rice is produced by further removing the bran and germ layers, then polishing the grain. While this process eliminates much of the nutritional benefits of eating brown rice, many of the allergy- and toxin-related dangers of eating rice are shared between the two.

CROSS-CONTAMINATION
As is true with all manufactured foods, always read the label before purchasing anything if you suffer from food allergies. With the variety of products made using brown rice, including flours, breads and snack foods, many brown rice manufacturers use the same facilities for an assortment of foods. As contact with allergenic foods, such as those containing soy, gluten and nuts, can lead to severe reactions in allergic individuals, ensure any brown rice products that you purchase are allergy-free before eating.
Sponsored Links

ALPHA-PICOLINIC ACID
If you have excess rice after cooking, store it in the fridge for no more than four to seven days. Over time, the moist, nutrient-rich environment of brown rice can serve as a breeding ground for a variety of molds, bacteria and fungi. Tryptophan, an amino acid present in brown rice, can be converted by some of these microorganisms to a compound called alpha-picolinic acid. If consumed, alpha-picolinic acid can can rice hypersensitivity and apoptosis, a condition involving accelerated cell death and tissue damage.

ARSENIC
Aside from its damaging effects on the environment, arsenic can cause tissue damage, organ failure and death in humans. According to a 2007 report published in "The Telegraph," rice contains potentially dangerous levels of arsenic if consumed in large quantities over time. While this is true of a variety of types of rice, the article singles out brown rice, particularly that produced in the U.S., as having among the highest concentrations of arsenic. By purchasing organic rice, limiting your rice intake and eating a balanced diet, however, "The Telegraph" suggests that health issues associated with long-term arsenic consumption can be avoided.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/48711 ... z2eUSOXHSW

Inflation is when you pay fifteen dollars for the ten-dollar haircut you used to get for five dollars when you had hair

Sam Ewing

Conspirator

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 3:51 pm » by Rich316

Well the Asians eat it daily with their vegies and live till their '140 years old'.. How bad can it be?

The question is, is there anything we can eat without fearing for our lives?