Right wing has history of rewriting history

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:39 pm

PostWed Apr 25, 2012 1:43 pm » by Middleman


Cia212 wrote: Referring to the president by his full name isn't.


In this context, the middle name of the President is not being used in the conventional fashion. It's being used inappropriately to draw attention to his "otherness". By inappropriate, I don't just mean morally or politically incorrect, but abnormal in a common usage sense.

People don't say Ronald Wilson Regan or Lyndon Baines Johnson all the time...that would be weird. So why should it be any different for Barrack Hussein Obama?

How about sections that downplay Thomas Jefferson because of his stance on separation of church and state?

Once again, we have unqualified, willfully ignorant, conservative politicians and busy bodies telling dedicated professionals (in this case historians) how to do their job.

Conspirator
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 6:05 am

PostWed Apr 25, 2012 3:26 pm » by Perronick


My two cents: The Left vs Right paradigm is major bs.

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 4007
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:03 pm

PostWed Apr 25, 2012 3:32 pm » by Rydher


Perronick wrote:My two cents: The Left vs Right paradigm is major bs.

How so? If you're speaking of the American Right/Left. On the extreme left you have total government and on the extreme right you have no government.

To pretend that there isn't a huge difference between the two ideologies is ignorant, IMO.

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:39 pm

PostWed Apr 25, 2012 3:58 pm » by Middleman


Rydher wrote: On the extreme left you have total government and on the extreme right you have no government.

To pretend that there isn't a huge difference between the two ideologies is ignorant, IMO.


I'm tempted to make a comparison to Thomas Friedman here, but he takes himself far less seriously. :owned:

The "extremes" of American politics are not equivalent. You'll struggle to name one single Democrat who is openly running on "total" government, while every Republican Presidential candidate has directly stated that they want to abolish whole government departments.

Please don't come back with any bullshit about what YOU think Obama, Reid or Pelosi does or thinks. We're talking about the stated platforms and policies as defined by the politicians running on them, not opposition spin (from either side).

There is no leftist version of the Tea Party, which has been extraordinarily successful both in terms of winning political office and moving the national agenda to the right.

Then you have Allen West saying that 80 Democratic congressmen are really Commies, and it's barely rated a mention outside of the people you'd expect it to offend. Where is the outrage? Or where are the Dems standing up and calling Tea Partiers Fascists or Nazis?

Pretending that there is an "extreme left" in America is the real ignorance.

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 4007
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:03 pm

PostWed Apr 25, 2012 4:07 pm » by Rydher


Middleman wrote:
Rydher wrote: On the extreme left you have total government and on the extreme right you have no government.

To pretend that there isn't a huge difference between the two ideologies is ignorant, IMO.


The "extremes" of American politics are not equivalent.

No shit. That's what I said.

You'll struggle to name one single Democrat who is openly running on "total" government, while every Republican Presidential candidate has directly stated that they want to abolish whole government departments.

Thanks for proving my point. On the American left is more government. On the American right is less government. Maybe you need picture. Some people are more visual.

Image

Conspirator
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 6:05 am

PostWed Apr 25, 2012 4:24 pm » by Perronick


Rydher wrote:
Perronick wrote:My two cents: The Left vs Right paradigm is major bs.

How so? If you're speaking of the American Right/Left. On the extreme left you have total government and on the extreme right you have no government.

To pretend that there isn't a huge difference between the two ideologies is ignorant, IMO.


On what you call the extreme left, Anarchism, there's no Gov. either. There are differences, indeed, in Anarchism there is private property, but this is collective instead of individual property.

It'd be like argueing which martial art is better, Judo or Karate. To me, the question should be: better for what? to defend yourself? then, against who?. The Left vs Right is bs because it's a distraction. It is interesting to know the differences AND similarities, but it's not essential to understand the world and to know what's really important.

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:39 pm

PostWed Apr 25, 2012 4:32 pm » by Middleman


Rydher wrote:On the American left is more government. On the American right is less government.


Wow. Did you learn that trick from Mitt Romney?

In one post, you've reinterpreted your own words from the extremes of "total government" and "no government" to the completely mundane spectrum of "more" or "less" government, which can basically include anybody. :clapper:

If there really is an extreme American left, name names. Name leftist policies that get supported by anyone more than Bernie Sanders and 2 or 3 of his buddies.

For every one that you name, I can name 10 on the other side.

There is no equivalency.

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 4007
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:03 pm

PostWed Apr 25, 2012 4:39 pm » by Rydher


Perronick wrote:
Rydher wrote:
Perronick wrote:My two cents: The Left vs Right paradigm is major bs.

How so? If you're speaking of the American Right/Left. On the extreme left you have total government and on the extreme right you have no government.

To pretend that there isn't a huge difference between the two ideologies is ignorant, IMO.


On what you call the extreme left, Anarchism, there's no Gov. either. There are differences, indeed, in Anarchism there is private property, but this is collective instead of individual property.


Please reread what I said. The extreme left, meaning all the way at the left end of the spectrum is TOTAL GOVERNMENT. The extreme right, meaning all the way at the right end of the spectrum is NO GOVERNMENT.

It's nothing like arguing over which is better Judo or Karate. It's arguing over the level of control the state has over the individual. And that argument is worth having and defending.


@Middleman, you're just being dishonest. Mitt Romney is a big government republican, they have them too. Just because you're a republican doesn't mean you're to the right. You sound just like the CNN reporter interviewing Allen West. :lol:

On one hand you say there is no extreme left in America then you go ahead and name a person in the government. Here is another one. Danny Davis.

For every one that you name, I can name 10 on the other side.

Other side of what? What the fuck are you babbling about? Either way, I gave you one name. Danny Davis. Go ahead and give me 1 from the other side so I know what the hell you're talking about.

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:39 pm

PostWed Apr 25, 2012 4:58 pm » by Middleman


Rydher wrote:What the fuck are you babbling about?


I'll restate it in terms you might understand, because you asked so nicely.

Comparing the extreme left to the extreme right in America is like comparing a .22 to a .50 caliber sniper rifle.

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 4007
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:03 pm

PostWed Apr 25, 2012 5:03 pm » by Rydher


Middleman wrote:
Rydher wrote:What the fuck are you babbling about?


I'll restate it in terms you might understand, because you asked so nicely.

Comparing the extreme left to the extreme right in America is like comparing a .22 to a .50 caliber sniper rifle.


You are a text book example of someone using kettle logic. Yeah, the extreme right and extreme left are completley different. What's your point? Because that's what I said from the very beginning.

I know you were speaking in hyperbole, but you said you could name 10 'from the other side'. Where is just 1? So I know what 'other side' you're referring to. :headscratch:


PreviousNext

  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook