RIP Privacy: US judge rules NSA program legal

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 10:14 am » by *WillEase*

Published on Dec 27, 2013

A United States federal judge said Friday that the National Security Agency's controversial bulk phone data collection program doesn't violate the law. That ruling came courtesy of US District Judge William Pauley, who decided in favor of the NSA early Friday in a case filed this past June by the American Civil Liberties Union against Director of National Intelligence James Clapper.
READ MORE: http://rt.com/usa/judge-rules-nsa-surve ... legal-882/

Upload to Disclose.tv

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 1:27 pm » by Rich316

What ya's gonna do about it?

On the upside, at least you have nothing to worry about if you do nothing wrong. And honestly, do you really think they're actually spying on you?

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 2:41 pm » by Rich316

Rich316 wrote:What ya's gonna do about it?

On the upside, at least you have nothing to worry about if you do nothing wrong. And honestly, do you really think they're actually spying on you?

What I mean is, for all the millions of people saying they're being spied upon and having their privacy taken away.. Do you really think you're that important that the NSA or whatever they're called, are going to spend time tracking what you do? They're not interested in small fish like folks on here, they're interested in much bigger things.. Sure I don't agree with what they're doing but given there's nothing you can do about it, what's the point in worrying? Unless you're a bad person and doing something wrong, why worry? There's millions and millions of people in the USA..

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 2:44 pm » by Malogg

Just because some nonce in a wig says so

:lol:
HAHA Image

Writer

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 2:50 pm » by Corsair

Rich316 wrote:
Rich316 wrote:What ya's gonna do about it?

What I mean is, for all the millions of people saying they're being spied upon and having their privacy taken away.. Do you really think you're that important that the NSA or whatever they're called, are going to spend time tracking what you do? They're not interested in small fish like folks on here, they're interested in much bigger things.. Sure I don't agree with what they're doing but given there's nothing you can do about it, what's the point in worrying? Unless you're a bad person and doing something wrong, why worry? There's millions and millions of people in the USA..

It all depends on how badly they want to fill the FEMA camps. :cheers:

Super Moderator

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 3:07 pm » by ZetaRediculous

A district Judge rules it legal??

But didn't a Federal Judge rule their data retention possibly in violation of the constitution? Is not a federal judge higher than a district judge??

Can someone please explain to me the levels of the US justice system, as I'm getting mighty confused... :ohno: :headscratch: :think:
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 3:56 pm » by *WillEase*

ZetaRediculous wrote:A district Judge rules it legal??

But didn't a Federal Judge rule their data retention possibly in violation of the constitution? Is not a federal judge higher than a district judge??

Can someone please explain to me the levels of the US justice system, as I'm getting mighty confused... :ohno: :headscratch: :think:

Both were (are) federal judges. This matter will ultimately wind up with the supreme court of which there
are no appeals processes.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/16/justice/n ... rt-ruling/

@ Rich, I don't really care. I've always felt that if 'they' are spying on me, then they are wasting their
time and the tax payers dollars.

Super Moderator

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 4:10 pm » by ZetaRediculous

*WillEase* wrote:
Both were (are) federal judges. This matter will ultimately wind up with the supreme court of which there
are no appeals processes.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/16/justice/n ... rt-ruling/

So, in essence, this is no more than the NSA's power play to the appeal process....

Well, it's easy to see that the side with the biggest bribe, will win...
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Initiate

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 5:18 pm » by Middleman

Rich316 wrote:
Rich316 wrote:What I mean is, for all the millions of people saying they're being spied upon and having their privacy taken away.. Do you really think you're that important that the NSA or whatever they're called, are going to spend time tracking what you do?

This ruling says that EVERYONE is important enough. That's kind of the point of the whole case.

You don't need to be doing anything suspicious for the NSA to surveil you. You just need to use a telephone or the internet, and they collect that information automatically.

The issue of whether they can analyse all that data is a different question...but it never goes away, not even after you die. They can essentially store it forever.

Still feel like you've got nothing to worry about as long as you keep your nose clean?

Conspirator

PostSun Dec 29, 2013 1:14 am » by Rich316

Middleman wrote:
Rich316 wrote:
Rich316 wrote:What I mean is, for all the millions of people saying they're being spied upon and having their privacy taken away.. Do you really think you're that important that the NSA or whatever they're called, are going to spend time tracking what you do?

This ruling says that EVERYONE is important enough. That's kind of the point of the whole case.

You don't need to be doing anything suspicious for the NSA to surveil you. You just need to use a telephone or the internet, and they collect that information automatically.

The issue of whether they can analyse all that data is a different question...but it never goes away, not even after you die. They can essentially store it forever.

Still feel like you've got nothing to worry about as long as you keep your nose clean?

You're assuming they're going to collect your info automatically when you really don't know anything about how they do what they do. It comes back to the 'how important do you think you are' analogy.

The simple fact remains, you aren't in trouble with the law unless you're caught breaking the law. They're just streamlining the way they catch bad people... much like permanent speed cameras.. total pain in the ass but if you do the speed limit like you're meant to do, you don't get in the shit.

Next