Robots to take over Earth?

Initiate

PostTue Oct 26, 2010 4:35 pm » by Poe2you

AOL News
(Sept. 22) -- Who needs people anymore?

Faced with an aging population and fewer people who can make things like Priuses and "Dance Dance Revolution," Japan has been busily building an army of robots that can take over.

And the newest of them looks like it can do "Dance Dance Revolution" while building a Prius.

Meet HRP-4, but you may as well give it your own name since it could eventually end up with your job.

Seriously, look at this thing -- and then look in the mirror. Which one would you hire?

The robot's creators at Kawada Industries and Japan's National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology say the machine's light weight and relatively low cost -- 26 million yen, or roughly $305,000 -- make it attractive to industry.

And its humanoid shape and size mean it can take over in places where humans had been working with no need to make changes to the workplace to accommodate it.

HRP-4 stands nearly 5 feet tall, weighs 85 pounds and sports 34 degrees of movement, including seven in each arm. It comes with facial-recognition technology so it can find you and hand you a pink slip, and it can wear a laptop computer on its back so it can take your favorite table at Starbucks, too.

The robot also sports a spiffy tracksuit-style look and the nickname "slim athlete."

"We designed a working robot in the image of a lean but well-muscled track-and-field athlete," Kawada robotic systems manager Noriyuki Kanehira said at a recent news conference, according to Agence France-Presse.

And while HRP-4's creators say the robot can be programmed to do menial labor, it's hard to imagine the machines being happy with that.

So you can expect them to go from labor right into management.

Then, next thing you know, an angry robot from the future shows up and tries to kill you ... while performing the latest "Dance Dance Revolution" moves.

And a chilling article from 2001, in an interview with Stephen Hawking:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/sep/02/medicalscience.genetics

I guess it wont be long until the Robot Olympics or an entire robotic army. Skynet anyone? :headscratch:
*Think*

Conspirator

PostTue Oct 26, 2010 10:11 pm » by Hackjames

Get ready for robots, like it or not.

Yes, they are going to "take our jobs". Remember, however, that when they can actually do our jobs that will change just about everything in society (given enough time, which could be relatively brief).

Robots.
This is your world. You're the creator.
-Bob Motherfucking Ross

Conspirator

PostTue Oct 26, 2010 10:20 pm » by Nilm33

Still cant do a backflip, still cant run, still cant catch. Id kick the shit out of that robot.

Conspirator

PostTue Oct 26, 2010 10:25 pm » by lamonema

Robots have been here, it's Cyborg time! :D

Initiate

PostTue Oct 26, 2010 10:28 pm » by Wakemeup

Military too :cheers: Sit rover sit... :alien51:

Upload to Disclose.tv

Conspirator

PostTue Oct 26, 2010 10:41 pm » by Hackjames

nilm33 wrote:Still cant do a backflip, still cant run, still cant catch. Id kick the shit out of that robot.

Just keep in mind that it could be repaired (and upgraded). ;]
-Bob Motherfucking Ross

Conspirator

PostTue Oct 26, 2010 10:52 pm » by Otomon

Why you being a little bitch? Humans have been alive for thousands of years and did nothing to improve the state of the Universe,now it it time for a more affective race to take over,one who lacks prejudice and feelings,and hopefully this new race will come up with something.
I am energized 13 I am CHRISTalized 13 I am amplified 13 I detach from the illusions of matter 13 I no longer choose to play the unconscious role 13 I listen to my intuition 13 I am in my flow 13 I break free from all negative soul ties 13

Conspirator

PostTue Oct 26, 2010 10:57 pm » by Hackjames

otomon wrote:Why you being a little bitch? Humans have been alive for thousands of years and did nothing to improve the state of the Universe,now it it time for a more affective race to take over,one who lacks prejudice and feelings,and hopefully this new race will come up with something.

Who's being a little bitch?

Robots are not a race, and not likely to be one for a long while. They're a technology, or a tool if you prefer. I wouldn't hold your breath that "they" will come up with any ideas about anything for quite awhile, considering the current state of AI and related technologies.

Still, I appreciate your verve.
-Bob Motherfucking Ross

Conspirator

PostTue Oct 26, 2010 11:01 pm » by Otomon

hackjames wrote:
otomon wrote:Why you being a little bitch? Humans have been alive for thousands of years and did nothing to improve the state of the Universe,now it it time for a more affective race to take over,one who lacks prejudice and feelings,and hopefully this new race will come up with something.

Who's being a little bitch?

Robots are not a race, and not likely to be one for a long while. They're a technology, or a tool if you prefer. I wouldn't hold your breath that "they" will come up with any ideas about anything for quite awhile, considering the current state of AI and related technologies.

Still, I appreciate your verve.

You are.

Robots WILL be a race as soon as you sheeple understand that we must merge with our tools in order to evolve.... humans by themselves are no different from meatbags... but humans merged with tools aka cyborgs... ahhh a most glorious picture!!!
I am energized 13 I am CHRISTalized 13 I am amplified 13 I detach from the illusions of matter 13 I no longer choose to play the unconscious role 13 I listen to my intuition 13 I am in my flow 13 I break free from all negative soul ties 13

Conspirator

PostTue Oct 26, 2010 11:09 pm » by Hackjames

otomon wrote:You are.

Robots WILL be a race as soon as you sheeple understand that we must merge with our tools in order to evolve.... humans by themselves are no different from meatbags... but humans merged with tools aka cyborgs... ahhh a most glorious picture!!!

Thanks, I just wanted to be sure.

Just to clarify my understanding of your statement;
1. Sheeple (uniformed/disinterested humans) don't understand the need for a more complete acceptance/adoption of technology.
2. Technology is needed for evolution to continue.
3. Humans are the same thing as a bag of meat.
4. Cyborgs are glorious.

I'll agree with you on #4, at least. Bitch. ;]
-Bob Motherfucking Ross

Next