Science ponders 'zombie attack'

Initiate

PostWed Aug 19, 2009 1:56 am » by Theshee

If zombies actually existed, an attack by them would lead to the collapse of civilisation unless dealt with quickly and aggressively.
That is the conclusion of a mathematical exercise carried out by researchers in Canada.
They say only frequent counter-attacks with increasing force would eradicate the fictional creatures.
The scientific paper is published in a book - Infectious Diseases Modelling Research Progress.
In books, films, video games and folklore, zombies are undead creatures, able to turn the living into other zombies with a bite.
But there is a serious side to the work.
In some respects, a zombie "plague" resembles a lethal, rapidly spreading infection. The researchers say the exercise could help scientists model the spread of unfamiliar diseases through human populations.
In their study, the researchers from the University of Ottawa and Carleton University (also in Ottawa) posed a question: If there was to be a battle between zombies and the living, who would win?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8206280.stm

A waste of money OR do 'they' know something 'we' don't???? Right.. where did I put that machete....

Initiate

PostWed Aug 19, 2009 2:00 am » by Shatnerswig

theshee wrote:
If zombies actually existed, an attack by them would lead to the collapse of civilisation unless dealt with quickly and aggressively.
That is the conclusion of a mathematical exercise carried out by researchers in Canada.
They say only frequent counter-attacks with increasing force would eradicate the fictional creatures.
The scientific paper is published in a book - Infectious Diseases Modelling Research Progress.
In books, films, video games and folklore, zombies are undead creatures, able to turn the living into other zombies with a bite.
But there is a serious side to the work.
In some respects, a zombie "plague" resembles a lethal, rapidly spreading infection. The researchers say the exercise could help scientists model the spread of unfamiliar diseases through human populations.
In their study, the researchers from the University of Ottawa and Carleton University (also in Ottawa) posed a question: If there was to be a battle between zombies and the living, who would win?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8206280.stm

A waste of money OR do 'they' know something 'we' don't???? Right.. where did I put that machete....

I sure hope not!!! need to get more ammo just in case! :o
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO WIG HAS GONE BEFORE

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 19, 2009 2:03 am » by Drextin

A zombie attack would be a great tool to study a pandemic. Thats a pretty cool concept.

Nice find theshee
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking
King of my jungle just a gangster stalking

Initiate

PostWed Aug 19, 2009 2:11 am » by Snake Plissken

I dont know about the rest of you guys but as a bloke i naturally have my own zombie contingent plan!!!

Luckily for me the hardware shop is opposite my house so i can tool up with chainsaws, then its off to the city to find some dead armed police so that i can scavenge their guns, next stop my local car showroom for some classy zombie mashing 4x4 s then its off to Tescos where i can barricade myself and some wonderfull ladies inside and live like a king until this has all blown over!!

Oh yeah, i suppose i had better pick up my family on the way too... :D
"The more things change the more they stay the same..."

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 19, 2009 2:14 am » by Daemonfoe

This is disturbing on many levels. I hope they're doing this because they actually expect zombies, because if not then we are just being conditioned for a situation where we are killing people because they are infected with some virus. :ohno:
The two choices we have are something starting from nothing, or something existing infinitely. These are both paradoxes. The existence of everything is therefore a paradox. -daemonfoe

Initiate

PostWed Aug 19, 2009 2:20 am » by Theshee

daemonfoe it concerns me too...

snake.. that was some funny shit! haha

Initiate

PostWed Aug 19, 2009 6:40 pm » by Snake Plissken

Cheers Shee, good to see you are still here!! :wink:

My zombie movie collection grows by the day, dont want to tempt fate but i would like to think that in no way will a zombie apocalypse ever happen in real life!!!

Killer virus, thats a whole different story....

Beers to you Shee! :cheers:
"The more things change the more they stay the same..."