Scientist Claims Proof Of Afterlife

Writer

PostSun Feb 15, 2009 6:11 am » by Belarion

Jeeziz H. Are you that afraid of death? Near death experience is like near beer until you have had the real thing, YOU AINT HAD THE REAL THING! give your head a shake! with what the mediums say?? whaaaattt??? christ ! nothing like good solid empirical; proof! sorry you are so afraid of death , none of us are too crazy about the idea i'm sure! I am certain (and I sure as hell hope) that nothing as shallow and dependent upon environment as the personality, could survive bodily termination! are you trying to say the after life would consist of shallow non entities like paris hilton, j lo or the american idol crowd? christ that was the one place I was hoping to escape all that mindless pap!

Initiate

PostSun Feb 15, 2009 2:52 pm » by Alexrubic

The word being used is 'consciousness' but you could more accurately say 'soul' or 'spirit' and even vacuous airheads like Paris Hilton, et al, have these even if they suffer from a lack of personality!

I have a fair few books on cases of NDE (it should be pointed out that in some of these cases the people have been pronounced clinically dead by a doctor and some have even been wheeled down to the morgue before 'coming back to life' - some have been in that state for hours - so we are not just talking about people who have 'flat-lined' for a second or two on the operating table!) and have read a good deal more. I can only remember one account that could be described as going to 'hell'! Most accounts are incredibly consistent with a more 'heavenly' experience though religious symbolism is usually absent accept where it is 'overlaid' by the extremely devout. Even self-confessed assassins have not 'gone to hell' during a near death experience!
When Britain first, at Heaven's command arose from out the azure main; this was the charter of the land, and guardian angels sang this strain: "Rule, Britannia, rule the waves: Britons never will be slaves."

James Thomson (1700-1748)

Conspirator

PostSun Feb 15, 2009 6:37 pm » by Towelie

If this things getting about again i take it hes planning on re-releasing his book, before anyone gets carried away look into this guy hes got a real bad habbit of coming up with crazy theories based on dodgy experiments.
Kill em all and let god sort them out!

Atheism is a non-prohet organisation.

Initiate

PostSun Feb 15, 2009 7:13 pm » by Alexrubic

I think that may be a little harsh, towelie, from what I have briefly read about him he just seems fallibly human rather than an out-and-out cheat, liar or charlatan!

There are many reliable researchers - including doctors and surgeons, who have witnessed these experiences in their patients, along with the subjects of NDE experiences themselves - who have written books on this subject. I think the overwhelming consistency between these disparate sources across both time, distance and cultural influences mark this out as a phenomenon worth serious investigation.
When Britain first, at Heaven's command arose from out the azure main; this was the charter of the land, and guardian angels sang this strain: "Rule, Britannia, rule the waves: Britons never will be slaves."

Conspirator

PostSun Feb 15, 2009 7:23 pm » by Towelie

Unfortunatley with this guy its not harsh, just look at his best example given in that, someone guessed there was a bowl of peanuts or something - firstly you have to believe that the guy got the info from dead people and no other method(if you think long range viewing or something like that is true then why wasnt he just doing that and faking a dead peron speaking to him.) The simple fact that hes submitted no new data on this or his so called experiments to any scientific database i have(and yes this includes the university of Arizona database) suggests hes got no new stuff, and is just after re-marketing his book.

Initiate

PostSun Feb 15, 2009 7:45 pm » by Alexrubic

That article linked to in the OP is dated 2004! So he is not presenting old evidence as new research...it's just a five-year old article being quoted!

Conspirator

PostSun Feb 15, 2009 7:47 pm » by Towelie

hell just be re-releasing one of his books or something then as his old stuff was shown to be extremely inaccurate and done with very little consideration to external influences. I didnt think hed bother trying it again afer the laughing at he got last time.

Initiate

PostSun Feb 15, 2009 8:10 pm » by Alexrubic

There's nothing in this thread that says he is re-releasing his book! But I agree that the nature of his experiments with mediums does not rule out other confounding phenomenon like ESP/telepathy or even cold-reading, etc.

Writer

PostSun Feb 15, 2009 10:42 pm » by Belarion

Alex my friend you seem to miss the point, paris hilton et al are made of personality which if you know your Jung, is synthetic and created to deal with personal interactions. persona, a mask. if they were made from some indestructable intangible esence we might call this a soul. there is no empirical proof of this even existing let alone surviving death. A trip to the morgue and back means squat! come back from being dead and buried for say, a year, then we will talk. unfortuneately reason takes a holiday here in place of belief, no faith in life after death, FAITH : the belief in something we know not to be true.

Master Conspirator

PostSun Feb 15, 2009 10:58 pm » by Drjones

Bring on the afterlife i say,it has to be better than this zoo we now live in... :oops:

PreviousNext