Scientists ‘freeze’ light for an entire minute

Conspirator

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 5:17 pm » by Phoenix rising

In what could prove to be a major breakthrough in quantum memory storage and information processing, German researchers have frozen the fastest thing in the universe: light. And they did so for a record-breaking one minute.

It sounds weird and it is. The reason for wanting to hold light in its place (aside from the sheer awesomeness of it) is to ensure that it retains its quantum coherence properties (i.e. its information state), thus making it possible to build light-based quantum memory. And the longer that light can be held, the better as far as computation is concerned. Accordingly, it could allow for more secure quantum communications over longer distances.

Needless to say, halting light is not easy — you can’t just put in the freezer. Light is electromagnetic radiation that moves at 300 million meters per second. Over the course of a one minute span, it can travel about 11 million miles (18 million km), or 20 round trips to the moon. So it’s a rather wily and slippery medium, to say the least.

But light can be slowed down and even halted altogether. And in fact, researchers once kept it still for 16 seconds by using cold atoms.

For this particular experiment, researcher Georg Heinze and his team converted light coherence into atomic coherences. They did so by using a quantum interference effect that makes an opaque medium — in this case a crystal — transparent over a narrow range of light spectra (a process called electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT)). The researchers shot a laser through this crystal (a source of light), which sent its atoms into a quantum superposition of two states. A second beam then switched off the first laser, and as a consequence, the transparency. Thus, the researchers collapsed the superposition — and trapped the second laser beam inside.

And they proved the accomplishment by storing — and then successfully retrieving — information in the form of a 100-micrometer-long picture with three horizontal stripes on it.

“The result outperforms earlier demonstrations in atomic gases by about six orders of magnitude and offers exciting possibilities of long-storage-time quantum memories that are spatially multiplexed, i.e., can store different quantum bits as different pixels,” notes physicist Hugues de Riedmatten in an associated Physics Review article.

In future, the researchers will try to use different substances to increase the duration of information storage even further.

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/02/sci ... inute.html
“If you cannot find a good companion to walk with, walk alone, like an elephant roaming the jungle. It is better to be alone than to be with those who will hinder your progress.”
~BUDDHA (DHAMMAPADA)~

Conspirator

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 8:58 pm » by Noentry

Wasn't this impossible but a few years ago?

Does this mean speed of light and time are not connected?
Could this point to time travel is not possible?
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Writer

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 10:41 pm » by Elektrikar

Noentry wrote:Wasn't this impossible but a few years ago?

Maybe we can't rule that out just yet, do we know what next will we discover in the quantum world?
Image Yo, does this look familiar to you? :D

i now do trains H0 CSD III-IV Digi :D

Conspirator

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 10:47 pm » by Noentry

Elektrikar wrote:

Maybe we can't rule that out just yet, do we know what next will we discover in the quantum world?

Yes I am jumping the gun a little there. :flop:

In quantum science everything is random.
Until contemporary science finds a deeper understanding of reality it will remain random.

I think the next real step will be a foundation of laws and forces that came before quantum reality....Prequantum.
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Initiate

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 11:17 pm » by Skydog

Sounds to me like they have found a way to slow time, allbeit in a very localised (tiny)space.
My best guess is that time is linear and only goes in one direction but I can't see why it could'nt be slowed
from one experiencer to the next,the way a fly sees you in slow-motion or a black-hole(being so massive)sees the universe whizzing by.
I wonder if this will lead to a kind of pliable slow-time bubble.
This is slightly out of the box but if peeps came up with this at some time in the past it could certainly
explain the movement of impossibly large blocks(like at Baalbek.eg)
for instance:-if a falling apple was slowed or stopped,it would be easy to push as it was responding to gravity
in a very slow way and the pusher was not.
And so God created Saturn and he liked it.So he put a ring on it.

Conspirator

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 11:34 pm » by Opalserpent

Elektrikar wrote:

There is a theorectical metamaterial cloak that can do more. :obsessed:

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101116/ ... 0.611.html

Bypassing time

The key feature of the proposed space–time cloak is that its refractive index — the optical property that governs the speed of light within a material — is continually changed, pulling light rays apart in time. When the leading edge of a light wave hits the cloak, the material is manipulated to speed up the light, but when the trailing edge hits, the light is slowed down and delayed. "Between these two parts of the light, there will be a temporal void — a space in which there will be no illuminating light for a brief period of time," explains McCall.

Events and actions inside this void in space–time, after the leading edge of the light has passed through but before the trailing edge has arrived, would be shielded from the view of anyone outside. After the hidden action has been completed, the cloak would be turned off. The delayed trailing portion of light would then recombine with the leading edge, reconstructing a full light wave that would travel on; any observers would be unaware that it had been postponed.

Live by the Terror, Die by the Terror.

Conspirator

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 12:09 am » by Toxic32

If you can split light through a prism into it's constituent frequencies it's still light. Maybe time is the same? Past, present, future. But never the less they all exist in the same space? Which means they can all interact and blend into what we see, are, understand. Maybe space/time is like a paint pallet. A bit of this and a bit of that mixed together. If you could time travel and try to change events all you would do is alter the shade but not the colour. No time quake shaking today. Anyway how can a photon achieve the speed of light from a standing start. A torchy
I question everything. I don't believe anything I'm told or anything I see. Prove it, or fuck off. And that's not me I see in the mirror in the morning.

Conspirator

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 1:28 pm » by Phoenix rising

I'm liking the theory's here although not being science savy I find it hard to understand some of the theory's, what if the point of time can never be reached, maybe time stretches further the faster one goes and there is never a point where one can overtake it, :headscratch: i think I'm confusing myself :lol:
“If you cannot find a good companion to walk with, walk alone, like an elephant roaming the jungle. It is better to be alone than to be with those who will hinder your progress.”
~BUDDHA (DHAMMAPADA)~

Conspirator

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 pm » by Phoenix rising

Time Waves and Time Wave Particles

What happens if I travel faster than the speed of time?

One can never travel faster than time relative to themselves. But one (theoretically) can move faster than the speed of time/light relative to another object.

Even if one overtakes the speed of time from another object one will still see light (time) at the same constant speed (the speed of time).

When you move faster than the time waves of an object you will go back in time relative to the object. Because events that have already happened from the frame of reference to the object will not have happened yet according to your frame of reference.

This event is different than just being away from an object and waiting for time waves to flow where you are.

You will actually be experiencing the time waves that you normally would not have.

Example:

You are boarding a spaceship on earth and tell your friend goodbye
You now leave the earth in your spaceship and are flying through space very fast
You now catch up to the speed of time relative to the earth
You are traveling 671 million MPH according to your friend on earth
What does your friend on earth see and experience?

Your friend will still be able to see you as your time waves can still be pulled in by the earth’s time waves. The only real effect is that time is flowing much faster for your friend (according to you).

Now you overtake the speed of time relative to earth by 1 MPH

Your friend’s time waves will only be able to capture past events from your time waves. As your time waves are released towards your friends the past events from you are captured and sent back to earth.

What do you see and experience?

Because you are moving faster than the time waves from earth your time waves will bring back to you data from past events. This happens because you are moving faster than the time waves from the earth so you are actually catching-up to past waves that normally go by you. These past events are now being pulled into you as live data.

You speed up more and catch up to the time wave of you leaving the earth

You would see yourself saying goodbye to your friend and boarding your spaceship. From your frame of reference you would now exist back in time on earth just leaving and you would also exist in the spaceship where you are.

What does your friend see and experience at this event?

Nothing would change the original event of the saying goodbye and departure. Your friend will still see this event. Your friend can also see you seeing this event when the new time wave reaches him.

As you are watching the event of you just taking off in your spaceship you go mad and shoot ‘the you’ just leaving the earth. This is possible because from your frame of reference the you just taking off is now within reach.
What do you experience?

First you experience nothing but the guilt of killing the ‘earlier you’. The current you will still exist because you have set into motion an alternate existence not scheduled to hit the earth for a very long time (not until this new time wave makes its way back to earth).

So you get to live your life in space until this wave hits the earth and alters the future. Now that you have caught-up to this time wave, the earth (of the past) is now close to you and you can attend your own funeral. Meanwhile, back on the earth you originally left, life continues on as if you were not shot and you are somewhere in space (and time).

Eventually when this altered time wave makes its way back to the earth, there would now be an altered happening. Until this new altered time wave reaches earth, it is life as usual. When the new altered time wave does reach your friend on earth, it is a new altered time where your friend sees you get shot as you leave in your spaceship.

But what about all the time that existed before the altered time wave made it back to earth?

Those time waves still exist and flow through space. So there is a double existence. Depending on where you are, determines which reality is the one you experience. There are now two sets of time waves flowing through space. Both events are real and both exist.

Now pretend event 6 never happened, but you decide to move twice as fast as the speed of time relative to earth.

According to your friend on earth you no longer exist because his present time waves will never report back to him of your existence. The instant you went faster than twice the speed of time (light) your time waves can no longer collide with his. In this instant your friend says you no longer exist in the physical universe he occupies.

From your frame of reference, the earth and your friend no longer exists because each of your current time waves can no longer collide and experience each other.

http://www.whataretimewaves.com/-_trave ... time_waves
~BUDDHA (DHAMMAPADA)~

Conspirator

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 pm » by Tuor10

Nice.

Another step towards technological singularity.

Next