Secret Tunnel for Ancient Egyptian Ruler Found

Conspirator

PostThu Jul 01, 2010 8:32 pm » by Freeyourmindnow

Wed Jun 30, 2010 02:14 PM ET
Content provided by AFP

After a 23-year effort, archaeologists have uncovered a secret tunnel in the tomb of Seti I, who ruled Egypt more than 3,000 years ago, the culture minister said on Wednesday.

The Egyptian team, headed by antiquities chief Zahi Hawass, had been "searching for this tunnel for over twenty years in the West Bank necropolis" of Luxor, south Egypt, Faruq Hosni said in a statement.

Hawass said it then took three years to excavate the 174 meter-long (570-foot) tunnel, in which archaeologists found shards of pottery and fragments of statuettes.

The tunnel was painted with preliminary sketches for decorations and instructions from the architect to workmen carving out the tunnel, Hawass said.

"Move the door jamb up and make the passage wider," read the inscription on a false door, Hawass said.

"It appears that Seti I was trying to construct a secret tomb inside a tomb," Hawass said. Hawass speculated that the tunnel and the secret tomb were not finished because of the pharaoh's death, but may have inspired a similar construction in Ramses II's tomb.

Seti I was one of ancient Egypt's greatest rulers and a formidable military commander from the 19th dynasty. His tomb in the Valley of the Kings is the largest ever discovered, but archeologists have yet to tap all its mysteries.

http://news.discovery.com/archaeology/e ... -tomb.html

Conspirator

PostThu Jul 01, 2010 9:24 pm » by Freeyourmindnow

another photo

Conspirator

PostThu Jul 01, 2010 9:41 pm » by Freeyourmindnow

naught wrote:Man I wish I could go back and become an archaeologists. Some Some jones shit. Fight nazi's find crystal skulls. Fuck I will volunteer to do space exploration. :mrgreen:

me too mate, but according to Dr. Indina Zahi Hawass Jones, it is not always exiting work. :alien: :alien: :D

Dr. Indina Zahi Hawass jones

Conspirator

PostThu Jul 01, 2010 9:46 pm » by Allreadydead

Old Seti I was a clever man - he made an escape tunnel in case his religion was shit and he had to run for it! :mrgreen:

"See, he made a run for it but the priests caught him anyway............."

Conspirator

PostThu Jul 01, 2010 10:45 pm » by Freeyourmindnow

allreadydead wrote:Old Seti I was a clever man - he made an escape tunnel in case his religion was shit and he had to run for it! :mrgreen:

"See, he made a run for it but the priests caught him anyway............."

ugly dude Seti 1, why o why they called a Institute which is looking for aliens also Seti?
http://www.seti.org/Page.aspx?pid=1196

Writer

PostThu Jul 01, 2010 10:49 pm » by Wotdah

Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 02, 2010 12:27 am » by Freeyourmindnow

wotdah wrote:Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence

yes i know but isn't it little strange?

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 02, 2010 12:33 am » by Emeraldtruth

Never mind SETI, let's look for intelligence on Earth.
:P

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 02, 2010 12:34 am » by whitedeath

Interesting find, I remember wanting to be an archaeologist when I was younger. After corresponding with two who had worked in the field (pardon the pun) for years and they advised only doing it as an extra curricular activity because the pay on the odd occasion you actually do get paid is very low.

Still, it would be nice to be part of a team who discovered something monumental

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 02, 2010 8:26 am » by Allreadydead

emeraldtruth wrote:Never mind SETI, let's look for intelligence on Earth. :P

:clapper:

There is an organisation for such research:

Search [for] High Intellegence Types From Our Region Begins Right Away In Nasa Soon

It's abreaveation is:

S.H.I.T. F.O.R. B.R.A.I.N.S.

:mrgreen:
:cheers:

Next