Sharing of almost nothing of real meaning

Conspirator

PostWed Sep 14, 2011 5:29 pm » by Tertiusgaudens

When I was young, I wanted to save the world.
When I studied, I used to live in an ivory tower.
When I gaduated, I could not other than speaking in a smart ass style.
When I lost my big love a couple times, I got sarcastic.
When I had success in my work, I became soft minded.
When I passed through decades of looking back, I became almost deadly sober.
If I got asked, what I know, I would say: it is not much.
If I got asked, what I consider highest, I would say: love and pain and going on.
And if I got asked, what I have to share, I would say: nothing of real meaning, but a little wink that I`m alive and say hello.
When I grew older, I do not want to save the world anymore, but simply say my greetings.
Hope is the thing with feathers...
Emily Dickinson

Conspirator

PostWed Sep 14, 2011 5:38 pm » by Tertiusgaudens

[youtube]3tqK5zQlCDQ&feature=related[/youtube]
Emily Dickinson

Initiate

PostWed Sep 14, 2011 5:42 pm » by Glassjaw667

I thought this was going to be a rant about people posting ridiculous YouTube videos of hoaxes and obvious bullshit. Instead I got a refreshing poem by T.S Eliot.

Great post tertius! :)

Master Conspirator

PostWed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm » by Cornbread714

Nice one, Tertius.

You have a lot to share that has real meaning, in my opinion.

Your greetings are always welcome.
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Conspirator

PostWed Sep 14, 2011 11:37 pm » by Zegtelzegtel

Greetings to you TG, nice words man..

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 15, 2011 12:00 am » by Tertiusgaudens

Everybody, who is firm in psychology of development must have heard of Piaget and Erik Erikson. Especially Erikson has an interesting approach covering the whole human life - he is looking for subjects, rituals, forces, meanings in different life stages. A fine intro you may find here:

http://www.learningplaceonline.com/stag ... rikson.htm.

Now let me go a step further.

I called my thread "almost nothing of real meaning", and by doing so I wanted to emphasize a stronger look at different life subjects in different stages as Erikson did making a general life outlook not more special, but more "silent" or, as I said, a little closer to almost nothing of meaning. Such statement looks pretty scary, but is not really. It is a statement of sobriety having a longer overlook of life than younger ones.

Wanting to save the world belongs to a basic equipment of a caring youngster thus pushing his social development. My statement of "simply say my greetings" sounds like a poor submission to fucking life, but again is not really. It reflects sobriety of life indeed, but also certain experiences of life being more twisted than thought as a youngster. Saying hello is pretty much more than nothing! Greetings do not come from a bitter heart, but a will to embrace others, of course in a more reluctant way.

If I suppose Aliens with an enhanced development and even personal progression would encounter humans as they are, and if I furthermore acknowledge human life stages related to certain insights, which are itself related to certain appearances of sobriety, easygoing and ego transcendence, as Erikson did, then I can imagine Aliens, which do not want more than say hello. That`s it - no contact, no knowledge exchange, no tech transfer, no influence, nothing of it, just saying greetings.

I find this thought not compelling, but from the sober insight of an older human having stepped over life`s climax.

And every blink of an UFO - if so - is such an hello, and that`s it.

I would love seeing some thoughts on it.
Emily Dickinson