Shocking Survey - The Dumbing Down of Youth?

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 26, 2009 2:31 am » by Hansom

LowSix wrote:My wife teaches seniors and half of them don't even know what a radius is..

She asked them to draw a circle with a radius
of four iinches, and half the classes hands shot up.

First day of school. Seniors.

Yay fail.

Sad to say but I recon about 90% of pupils in the UK wouldn't be able to draw a circle with a 4 inch radius.
However ask them to draw one with a 101.2mm radius, no doubt half of them would stick their hands up also.
In Lak'ech

May the force be with you, always.

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 26, 2009 2:48 am » by Hansom

spock wrote:

HERE'S A FEW CULTS OF PERSONALITY THAT WOULD LOVE TO ENJOY AN AFTERNOON TEA TOGETHER...

Bunch of whining, backstabbing, spineless, degenerate miscreants.
Wonder how good they were on history and literature, when they was 17
In Lak'ech

Super Moderator

PostWed Aug 26, 2009 2:51 am » by Spock

Please excuse me "songhai". I changed the title of this thread a bit. If you don't like it please feel free to change it back, or let me know and I will.

I was hoping this title may take it a few more miles.

Peace.

Super Moderator

PostWed Aug 26, 2009 2:54 am » by Spock

hansom wrote:Sad to say but I recon about 90% of pupils in the UK wouldn't be able to draw a circle with a 4 inch radius.
However ask them to draw one with a 101.2mm radius, no doubt half of them would stick their hands up also.

That's funny, because I GUARANTEE more can role a perfect joint, then even draw a flattering circle with a pencil.

Initiate

PostWed Aug 26, 2009 3:07 am » by Trinity11

when i was in grade 8, i was asked to do an essay on the underground rail road and ending saying it was like a subway tunnel that only the slaves knew about and escaped to canada. My teacher cracked up and showed every other teacher in my school. Now I transfered to highschool cause I skipped alot , parties, weed, n booze. But now, I can say I am a spiritual, intellegent person. Not a "religious scholar", granted but what is the point of the education system right now? I am not saying education is not important, i m jus sayin the current system is teaching kids 80% of bull shit, and noone really questions it they feel what the are learning is the "standard" for their age demographic and never question or even attempt higher learning because they are "CONDITIONED" to think that is their potential limit for their age.

Does the year christopher columbus sailed really fucking matter in everyday life? Why dont they teach us how to control our dreams or something actually valueable.

Initiate

PostWed Aug 26, 2009 3:10 am » by Trinity11

spock wrote:
hansom wrote:Sad to say but I recon about 90% of pupils in the UK wouldn't be able to draw a circle with a 4 inch radius.

That's funny, because I GUARANTEE more can role a perfect joint, then even draw a flattering circle with a pencil.

I agree, lol, I am guilty of also being a perfect joint roller :dancing:

lol to whoever wrote the Re: Shoking Survey thread , the :peep: :headscratch: :think: mispelling of the word shocking was a nice touch to the theme of your thread... you DID do that on purpose didnt you?...................

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 26, 2009 3:14 am » by Hansom

spock wrote:

Yes very true, kids these days may be street smart.
But what's the use of that when the doctor tells you, you need to have a biopsy to determine whether the tumor is benign or malignant. Oh and would you sign this waiver in case of a misdiagnosis, and any invasive treatment after was un-necessary.
Sure doc, geeze you're so smart.

OMG I weep for the future.
In Lak'ech

Super Moderator

PostWed Aug 26, 2009 3:27 am » by Spock

hansom wrote:But what's the use of that when the doctor tells you, you need to have a biopsy to determine whether the tumor is benign or malignant. Oh and would you sign this waiver in case of a misdiagnosis, and any invasive treatment after was un-necessary.
Sure doc, geeze you're so smart.

Well, now that I have to say would be a HUGE decision for even the very elect! What would your innitial response be to that? Other than a 2nd opinion from Duke University or some other esteemed medical school - or what if that came from Duke University?

I still have faith in some kids, but it is clear that the whole spectrum is changing to a more communistic/earthly/all-for-the-state view.

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 26, 2009 3:29 am » by Hansom

trinity11 wrote:when i was in grade 8, i was asked to do an essay on the underground rail road and ending saying it was like a subway tunnel that only the slaves knew about and escaped to canada. My teacher cracked up and showed every other teacher in my school. Now I transfered to highschool cause I skipped alot , parties, weed, n booze. But now, I can say I am a spiritual, intellegent person. Not a "religious scholar", granted but what is the point of the education system right now? I am not saying education is not important, i m jus sayin the current system is teaching kids 80% of bull shit, and noone really questions it they feel what the are learning is the "standard" for their age demographic and never question or even attempt higher learning because they are "CONDITIONED" to think that is their potential limit for their age.

Does the year christopher columbus sailed really fucking matter in everyday life? Why dont they teach us how to control our dreams or something actually valueable.

Maybe it doesn't really matter when chris sailed for the new world.
But I think it helps exercise the brain, like we exercise muscles to make them stronger.

You're absolutely right though.
Children should be taught more valuable lessons, like lucid dreaming.
Or how to navigate, make fire, sew etc
In Lak'ech

Initiate

PostWed Aug 26, 2009 3:30 am » by Mugenroshi8

Its not a dumbing down, it's a redirection of education. If the school systems took out all information systems concerning computers and kids had to dig up files in the local library to find them, kids wouldn't know a whole lot about computers either.

School systems do not iterate the importance of the subject matter listed; it may or may not be in the text books, (I know when it comes to history, there is only a paragraph listed on subject matter found in a chapter, where 15 years ago there was an entire chapter dedicated to said topic; that's a fact) but how are these things encouraged in the slightest? Is this what is going to make them money? No, for the majority it's some ill-conceived plan to continue a sport to the professionals or a trade they learned growing up with their parents. For those who are encouraged to go into the physical sciences, they will pay more attention and score highly in those related fields (I'd compare the top of modern classes to the top of any class prior to in history, and know for a fact they could outscore the historical competition; how? Because those fields have moved beyond the point of learning of those in the past and our kids have had to learn everything prior too, up too, and then beyond into our Time).

We have so much information available today, and children learn at a rate unprecedented in modern history (take the misconception of certain attention disorders; their mind is accustomed to moving much more quickly than ours is).

But when entertainment and other avenues of pop culture dominate the lives of children, and they are not encouraged in a given avenue...well then, no, they wouldn't be intelligent in that area.

You can call Bob the Grease Monkey as retarded and ass-backwards as you wish, but I bet when it comes to auto mechanics, that man would run circles of genius around your ass (shotgun blast, myself included).

Intelligence is nothing more than an allocation of one's time and energy.

PreviousNext