Skype Attacked? (and other questions)

Master Conspirator

PostWed Dec 22, 2010 11:54 pm » by Cornbread714

If you're like me, you depend on Skype somewhat. I work online and it's my main channel of communication with my employers, so I wasn't too happy about not being able to log in today. It's also one of my main methods for staying in touch with friends.

Skype seems to have little idea as to why, but they promise it'll be back up soon. One news story raised the possibility of it being an attack.

It's amazing how fast I've come to depend on this free application. It makes you realize how fragile all this shit is - the net in general - at least from my standpoint. There's not a damned thing I can do about it if it doesn't work, and it might as well be voodoo priests or God running the show...

What's even freakier for me, is that my computer keyboard started acting funny yesterday - I couldn't make a capital "A". It just wouldn't work - the lower-case "a" was fine. I had deadlines to make, and coincidentally, the work I had to do was a series of short articles about Arizona.

Pretty dang hard to write about Arizona without using a capital "A"...

Luckily, I figured out that if I hit caps lock, I could make it work, but it sure slowed me down, having to hit caps lock every time I needed a capital"A", ha ha.

Then today, right when I was trying to unsuccessfully log on to Skype, my keyboard stopped working completely, so I was starting to wonder just what the f@#k was going on, I couldn't log in to my Hotmail account or anything, without a working keyboard, and I needed my flight info cause I'm flying to Amsterdam tomorrow and I didn't have my confirmation number printed out yet or any of my exact flight information, so I was going into slight panic mode.

Skype wasn't working, my keyboard wasn't working, I started thinking I had been hacked or some shit, ha ha. Why would my keyboard do such a strange thing?

Then I remembered I had an old keyboard somewhere, now I can type again (whew) and access my email, but Skype is still down.

It just makes me think, "what if?"

What if none of it worked tomorrow? What if we all woke up and no internet?

Or what if even some of it didn't work? Without Skype and Hotmail, my life would suddenly be quite different.

Anyway, just some random thoughts.
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Initiate

PostThu Dec 23, 2010 12:23 am » by Alternateworld

Good thoughts, or not as the case maybe. :lol:

I often wonder similar about the net, i guess even DTV is potentially at risk at present due to it's genre ...and especially with the heightened concern for such issues that we hear of lately. In fact sometimes when this site glitches out a little i kinda wonder if someone's post just went a little too far, or a recent vid upload might have someone worried. Paranoid thinkings maybe, but you can't deny that tptb probably have the power(that we have given them :bang; ) to push such a button if they wish.

They'd prob never touch something like facebook tho, that shit's got the masses sucked in deeper than the 'x' factor!

I so wish i was on my way to the 'Dam' tomorrow. Happy and safe travels to ya corn...
:cheers:

Super Moderator

PostThu Dec 23, 2010 12:27 am » by Slith

I remember a few years ago when the power grid went out on the upper east coast of the U.S. and Canada for a few days, just how helpless I felt. I was completely lost. Amazing how much we rely on technology today

Canubis wrote:

u fell for my missle tow.....its just a pek..... im perma banned 3 times for fags.... so smooch! it

SMAK ME BITCH on the lips....

xmass is coming hard...

Super Moderator

PostThu Dec 23, 2010 12:40 am » by The57ironman

who said "start training your pigeons"??
...you know it's autumn in New England
....when you have to run your air conditioning and heat...
in the same day..

Conspirator

PostThu Dec 23, 2010 12:53 am » by Mep630

corn sometimes the keyboard connector in the back of your computer gets loose and will start messing up data, check your connections.

also you might want to flip your keyboard over and shake/gently tap it 10-20 times and see if there isnt a lof of garbage in it you can get to fall out.

next step would be to unplug and open up the keyboard and give it a good cleaning. You can actually take it and stick it under running water, as long as it is not plugged in and you dont plug it back in till it is fully dry! Forced air works also, but for a deep clean go with the water method, just be sure to dry it out real good.

if all that fails, you probably need a new keyboard... - but test it with another keyboard to make sure there is actually something wrong with yours before you trash it.

hope that helps...

If you help the Oppressors, eventually you and your family will be oppressed.

www.mind-wars.com

Master Conspirator

PostThu Dec 23, 2010 1:31 am » by Cornbread714

mep630 wrote:corn sometimes the keyboard connector in the back of your computer gets loose and will start messing up data, check your connections.

also you might want to flip your keyboard over and shake/gently tap it 10-20 times and see if there isnt a lof of garbage in it you can get to fall out.

next step would be to unplug and open up the keyboard and give it a good cleaning. You can actually take it and stick it under running water, as long as it is not plugged in and you dont plug it back in till it is fully dry! Forced air works also, but for a deep clean go with the water method, just be sure to dry it out real good.

if all that fails, you probably need a new keyboard... - but test it with another keyboard to make sure there is actually something wrong with yours before you trash it.

hope that helps...

Thanks, Mep!

I found an old wireless keyboard that's working fine, I won't throw the old one out yet, though.

You're probably right, one too many joint ashes fell into it, no doubt.

HEY!! Skype just came back on! Woo hoo! :sunny:

Conspirator

PostThu Dec 23, 2010 1:46 am » by Lucidlemondrop

So do tell, what's so special bout' Skype?
What a long strange trip it's been..............

Master Conspirator

PostThu Dec 23, 2010 1:52 am » by Cornbread714

lucidlemondrop wrote:So do tell, what's so special bout' Skype?

Did you read my post?

Conspirator

PostThu Dec 23, 2010 1:53 am » by Lucidlemondrop

cornbread714 wrote:
lucidlemondrop wrote:So do tell, what's so special bout' Skype?

Did you read my post?

Yeah, but I'm slow and got hung up on the A issues!
What a long strange trip it's been..............

Next