Some basic questions on history and wishful thinking...

Conspirator

PostSun Jun 05, 2011 2:54 am » by Tertiusgaudens

I am tought that there is a thing called history.

I am said that I am part of a greater thing and that I have a history as well as the greater thing is undergoing a history.

As far as I experience a time flow of that I call myself I live as a remember being.

As far as I experience a taking part at the greater thing I miss many parts and live as a part time being and a being tought being apart from my own flow experience from what I call myself.

My own history is an affair of my remembering abilities depending from my abilities to think and speak.

A history of myself being part of the greater thing is an affair of being tought and abilities of knowing and researching sources somebody tought me would be there.

Now:

Does history mean a setting of persons and happenings being put in a certain pattern according time as students learn in school? History thought as an arrow of time like a straight ruler? Is history a linear time process?

Or does history mean a kind of revelation of certain patterns once in a while or regularily or according certain laws? History thought as a repetition of happenings? Is history a cyclical process?

Then:

How many sources must we research in order to construct a valid view? And what, if we have a solid view of something and a certain time, and new sources appear contradicting this very view?

And:

Is it historical in it`s very sense, if we have not many sources and use the tools of analogy and maximum likelihood?

If we hardly know what exactly happened 200 years ago - how can we exactly know what happened 2000 years ago?

And what means "happened"? Is history "happening"? Isn`t it not "unmoving" thought game too? Besides peace and war and many movements - isn`t history also mind and thinking? How can we touch the flow of thinking 200 or 2000 years ago?

I should be not completely wrong stating, that much more of history we call solid is a mix of truth, assumption and wishful thinking...
Hope is the thing with feathers...
Emily Dickinson